Sunday, February 19, 2023

Figuring it out

 I'm not going to put up pictures but I will try to be evocative. 

In some ways I am broken.  I have had a very hard time accepting it.  One way is the driving thing.  I just can't process what is around me in time to react accordingly. So I don't drive.  

The other way is planning and organizing the house cleaning.  I suppose some would blame my adoptive Mom. But she tried. She showed me how to do all the cleaning and I did the bathrooms every weekend.  The house was always immaculate.  I did my own laundry from about age 12 on, when I was a kid I folded the family's laundry.  Side note I love doing laundry.  

But I can stand in the kitchen or bathroom and not really notice it needs work.  Then all of a sudden I notice it is awful.  But what to do first?  That is just broken for me.  I was cleaning the kitchen and I would think "That doesn't look right" and realize I had not cleaned the stove, fridge, or microwave.  

What I did do was start out by doing all the dishes (many, many, dishes) last night. I swept out the kitchen floor this morning.  Then I used the Murphy's oil soap to clean the cabinets (some kind of cheap wood veneer but they hold my stuff so I'm happy).  The cabinets look a lot better.  Then the fridge, stove, microwave.  Oh wait a minute I forgot the upper cabinets!  I did the stove last night.  

Then I got my generic brand lavender floor cleaner and made a strong solution with very hot water, and mopped the floor. I got most of it and the water was filthy.  I wish I dared put up a before photo but I won't. So the floor went from really awful to 85% clean.  I got it about 95% and called that done.  

But I need a routine, I clean out the kitchen like I did this morning every so often?  How often?  A week, two weeks?  I am helpless. And the bathroom?  We won't even go there.  I will clean out/around the toilet today and look around the bathroom sink see if it needs it. 

But I will figure it out. I hear good things about Flylady but I have enough email, and sometimes consult "Un F8ck Your Habitat".  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you try to do just one or two small things everyday and get into a routine of that? It would maybe keep it from getting so overwhelming.

Heather Knits said...

Yeah I'm thinking of making a list of rooms/areas and attacking one every day. Kitchen/Front room/hall areas and laundry/orange room/Ron's room/bathroom/my bedroom. I think that is doable. Looking around at the whole place it's just impossible.

Anonymous said...

The most important rooms to clean weekly are the bathroom and the kitchen. That's basic disease prevention. Haven't made your bed or sweat the floor, if you can't see it no one else can.

Heather Knits said...

I have to cover my pillow with the bedding or Mr Allergen will sleep on my pillow. So that happens every day LOL.