Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Yesterday was not fun

 As I've said in the past, there is an issue with a large white husky at the last house as you leave my subdivision.  I have had problems with the dog coming out and barking at me if I walk on the house side of the street vs the vacant lot side of the street.  Yesterday the dog came after me, snapping and snarling, raising the bar I guess.  

That was really unpleasant let me tell you.  I just walked very slowly kept going toward the bus stop and got past the "territory" and the dog left me alone.  I plan to walk on the side of the street away from the house today; that has worked in the past.  Also bring my walking stick just to make me feel better.  

One car stopped in the middle of the street watching me and I suspect had his phone out filming the encounter.  A kind person would have told me to get in and driven me up to the bus stop.  He was not, apparently, a kind person.  He eventually got out of my way but he sure didn't help.  

I was OK once I got to the bus stop but I was definitely "watching my six".  One thing I found remarkable the dog was snarling and snapping clearly WANTED to bite me but did not, I attribute that to God.  

I got to work.  A customer wanted to talk to my manager so I called her to ask her to come over.  She answered, sounding terrible.  She is sick and wasn't working yesterday.  

I had another boss said she was out with COVID last week, but still came back to the store, hugging associates, talking to them, then said she had it.  She did not hug me thank God.  

Then last week my boss said she was coming down with something and said she had the flu yesterday.  I started feeling rather flushed and my throat hurt, itchy nose, sneezing, congestion.  Oh, crap.  Was it a cold?  The flu?  COVID?  

I figured out it was a cold, it has been so long since I had one it took a minute.  But I am not running a fever, and I would with the other 2 options.  

I haven't had a cold in at least 5 years or so.  I am currently taking "Tylenol Sinus Severe" and that helps.  I did not have to get up and take anything last night.  My throat is killing me, I am sneezy, a little sniffly but that's it.  

I got the address of the "bad dog" house so I can report them to animal control.  The owner may not know the dog is actually going after passers-by.  And I may be the only one it's going after because I smell like cats.  

But I was at home looking at the cats last night thinking "you guys are awesome", I am 1000% a cat person.  

My stun gun was broken so I could not have used it, it is only good as a flashlight now.  I did not want to use the pepper spray because that's just going to make the dog angrier, and I might get some blowback.  I have decided to bring my walking stick (about 1.5 inch diameter, 4 feet long, good and sturdy.   It will make me feel better having it.  

I also plan to wear a mask so I don't spread this at work.  I have 4 more days before my one day off this week.  It's going to be challenging but I will do it!  

That's it for now.  

Edit to add; when I was at the bus stop waiting for my first ride I remember thinking "I am taking a Uber home after work" and then I thought "Would I take one if the dog hadn't come after me?" and the answer was no.  I then thought about the "random" driver who would be assigned to me and the fact I would absolutely be giving this person the gospel.  

So maybe that's why it happened.  I got a very nice Chinese man who was very polite and friendly.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

if the dog wanted to bite you it would have. After reading you for so long I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating. I try to look at it from your point of view but I can't imagine being fearful of so many things.

Heather Knits said...

Well God shows all one day so you'll see.

But that dog was not happy.

Sitting in my chair this morning with two fat purring lumps I could see why the dog would hate me. MY babies are fat, happy, pampered. I reek of pampered house cat. She is stuck running around outside with no human contact.

Heather Knits said...

Also maybe the guy in the car who wouldn't move could have been making a video...

Anonymous said...

Did the dog come on the sidewalk or into the street or did it stay on the owner's property?

Is this house with the dog part of your subdivision? If so, can't you contact the HOA in addition to animal control?

I think your understanding of the driver who stopped is way off. How was this driver in your way by stopping? If you wanted to cross the street, you could have just indicated that to the driver. Why are you assuming he was taking a video? For all you know he was making sure you got past the dog ok or he was concerned either you or the dog would run out in front of him and get hit. Maybe he had access to something to subdue the dog if necessary if it attacked you.

Why would the truck driver only be kind if he offered you a ride to the bus stop? He doesn't know you and had no way of knowing where you were going.

Heather Knits said...

A lot of questions, the dog was was off his property, across the street from his house, stalking me.

HOA has been useless with other roaming dog situations "Call Animal Control" which I will, today, if it bothers me again.

The driver kept pulling up to be in my way as I attempted to cross the street, blocking me so I was stuck. I couldn't go forward or back because the dog was circling me. I kept waving at him to GO he took about 3-4 minutes to do this. The only way I can see someone would clearly want to be in the middle of this drama he must have been filming. In the meantime I was stuck in the middle of the street with a progressively more aggressive dog.

A video of me getting mauled would have gotten him a lot of hits and money.

It wouldn't have cost him anything to say 'Get in" and drive me up to the bus stop which is all I would have wanted. Or her, I didn't get a good look. Failing that, a couple of good honks to scare the dog of or at the very least GET OUT OF MY WAY SO I CAN CROSS.

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't laugh but sometimes your ramblings are funny at the way you see a situation.

Heather Knits said...

I honestly don't mind. I am sure it will be very funny in a week or two.

I definitely use humor as a coping technique.