Sunday, November 19, 2023

Some thoughts on the cats

 I was sitting in my chair doing my Bible study.  Biscuit was in my lap.  I was petting him.  

And I thought, I really prefer the older cats.  

Don't get me wrong, when the Jehovah's Witness lady tried to present me with a scrawny, wormy, kitten this summer I was a little tempted but not the way I would have been had it been an older cat.  The kitten has a lot of potential, was small and cute, someone would take it.  It was even the color pattern I liked, tabby and white.  

But I feel more for the older cat, the one that's been abandoned and neglected because I of course was abandoned and neglected.  I know what it's like to cry for someone who's not there anymore and never coming back.  I know what it is to go to sleep hungry.  So the older cats have resonated more.  

It is funny though the last 2 times I got cats they were pairs of kittens: Biscuit and Gravy, Cleo and Spotty.  But I will never forget my feeling of triumph when Frosty got in my lap.  

Bubba too - he was a lovely cat belonged to a neighbor, full grown black male cat.  She moved and dumped him.  When she lived there he would wait at the top of the driveway for her to come home every day.  Even after she left he sit sat waiting for her to come back.  That hit my heart.  So I adopted him.  

And when Bubba found another hard luck cat, Frosty, who had also likely been abandoned (Frosty was very skittish but not feral), or I think, his owner died, he brought Frosty home to me.  And I socialized Frosty and adopted him.  Of course both boys got neutered and I don't think Frosty ever forgave Bubs for that.  Every now and then Frosty, the ungrateful boy, would go after Bubs and Ron and I always agreed it was likely rage over that.  

Turns out Frosty was about 9 when I got him, but he was perfect for me.  He slept with me, spent lots of time in my lap and just laid around.  Sometimes he went out hunting and brought me snakes, that was his thing, bringing me little garden snakes.  Torbie was about 8, pretty much the same thing but she was Ron's girl while the boy cats have tended to be Mama's Boy.  

Cleo likes to cuddle at night, though.  

No comments: