Saturday, November 4, 2023

A perspective

 I think a lot of my readers may not have personal experience with Muslims so I will share a little of mine: 

Driver telling me I was a slut and a whore because I had not been mutilated.  That all intact women were sluts and whores not only incapable of saying no but going after other men when their husbands couldn't satisfy them.  You could spend some time unpacking his view of masculinity on that, but I won't.  When we got home Ron just said "Well I always made YOU happy" and we laughed, but I was just stunned.  

Another man told Ron he had to "control" me as I was "flirting with him".  He seemed quite disappointed when Ron said "She is like this with everyone men and women".  

Another man who told Ron he had to beat me when we got home because I had disagreed with him. 

Women: one woman was in the vehicle when Ron and I were having a conversation.  She kept exclaiming and clapping her hands over her ears every time I spoke.  I ignored her.  She started screaming at me to shut up she didn't want to hear my voice, which she found "annoying" (first time I ever heard that).  I believe she was just angry Ron and I were having a conversation - laughing together and such.  I told her no, I would not.   She complained to the driver who laughed at her.  

I later told Ron it was a huge insult that her family had put her on paratransit instead of driving her around themselves.  A "good" family member is supposed to care for the elderly relatives.  I never saw her again.  

In a retail context they have generally been very rude to me, demeaning, and demanding.  I have met some cultural (not practicing) muslims who were quite pleasant it just goes to the religion tells them, I think, to treat people like crap.  

One woman from Sudan (a driver) told me I wouldn't do well over there because I am more a self starter and not the submissive type.  Also the fact I love Jesus.  

Christianity basically tells me to treat others as better than myself.  To serve them as Christ served them.  That is all.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tons of personal experience with muslims spanning thirty years of my life. I never met one until I was in college. Some are bad, some are good, just like any other group. Your description of this family at Wal-Mart was uncomfortable to read.

Heather Knits said...

What bothers me they are clearly "playing" the other customers. They know even the hardest heart is going to be turned by a sad little kid with a hand out, and they take advantage. They did not use the teenage girl or tween boy for the begging but the little girl.

My heart went through years of homeless on 2 coasts, years of meeting Ron in the Tenderloin district after work, 30 years of caregiver burnout, etc. I will do a blog how my own mother died homeless in a motel because she wouldn't stop drinking.

I've got nothing left for the "family" if they really are one, at the door as I leave. My church is doing a charity thing for Thanksgiving; I am participating. I just prefer to give that way and not to people because I have literally seen someone give money to a homeless man who goes and buys alcohol with it.

Heather Knits said...

I have decided I will write down the number for the battered women's shelter and a food bank on a card and carry that in my backpack with a tract. If I see someone like that again (not necessarily the religion just someone begging) I will give the card to them with the tract. If a man is watching they can say I only gave the tract.

Then notify the store to have them removed.