Friday, November 3, 2023

I got cussed out again

 But first let me share the Biscuit photo.  


His head looks so small!  

I got to work, busy as usual.  A lot of business with the first of the month, people got paid and want to spend it, but next week should be quieter.  

They did not have me "on the zone" yesterday because the grocery manager was off.  

Work they were saying nice things about the girl who is off this week so, on my lunch, I let her know.  If someone was saying nice things behind my back I would want to hear it and she was happy to get it.  She said they never say anything to her face.  

I saw a muslim family running around the store last night buying high end clothes, etc.  Mother in a headscarf, teenage daughter, little girl, little boy, husband.  As I was leaving the store last night (I put my vest in my locker before I clock out every night except Friday, when I take it home to wash) the mother accosted me, had a handwritten sign in perfect English some nonsense about hardship.  I was annoyed, thought about it a second.  

Ace was right there waiting so I made a hand gesture "I'll be right back" and went back in the store and yelled "You have someone begging outside" to the police officer (we have a bona fide police man on duty now when I work not just security guard), who came out.  

The woman was pissed, said "You look like a bitch" and stomped off dragging the little girl with her.  I don't feel bad about that there are a million agencies who would help if she was in need, but they spent probably $400 last night at the store, she was wearing a high end outfit, immaculate starched white head scarf so not homeless as they claimed.  

The store has a strict policy about people asking for money.  There is a guy gets food from the deli every few days then walks around asking the customers for money so he can pay for it.  We always run him off.  And if you are using a little kid to beg, in my opinion CPS needs to get involved.  They probably get a big laugh out of all the soft Americans coughing up big bucks for them because they have a cute little kid and a sign.  

I am just sick of everyone with their hands out.  I've said it a million times, if Ron could get up and go to work everyday with all his problems you have NO excuse.  

A few days ago I chased off a woman who said she was looking for work.  When I asked her when she could work she said mornings, Monday to Friday.  I told her our jobs required people to work open availability, nights and weekends, 363 days a year (I later verified that with my boss, who agreed).  She was quite upset she thought we had a little 9-2 job for her just hiding in the back.   

And no one applying speaks English anymore, it is not just the Spanish speakers but other languages.  With a Spanish speaker there is generally another Spanish speaker with better English skills around who can translate but some of those other languages?  Good luck!  

I came home and talked to Dad he had a pretty good day, and ate some of the spaghetti I made when I came to visit.  I decided that is what I am going to make for Thanksgiving - some of my Spaghetti.  It is really more of a goulash I think (edit: no it's not), I use macaroni noodles, 2-3 different meats, I change the sauce up now and then (still haven't found "The" sauce), but it's good and I love it.  I will have a nice amount of leftovers, some, but not too much.  

We have a spaghetti sauce at work made with heirloom tomatoes I am curious to try that. I may get that next week when I get paid.  I would try that before the actual Thanksgiving because it might be terrible.  

I'm going to take my shower.  Did that and my God Time.  

I feel a little bad for Biscuit, I'm sitting in my "good chair" in the bedroom with the bookcase next to me reading one thing after another, Biscuit's in my lap awaiting his treats.  Spotty gets up sits on Biscuit.  Steps on Biscuit repeatedly.  Biscuit just kind of sighs and leans out of the way.  

I need a bigger lap one for two, twenty pound, cats.  Or maybe I need a rocking chair with the side pieces for kids to sit but Spotty is an idiot about rocking chairs and likes to lay under them.  I am not sure how to figure that out.  Biscuit has given Spotty a smack now and then when he does this.  And I agree, it's rude to step on your brother and shove your butt in his face.  Spotty is almost 5 he should know better.  

I hope work goes OK tonight I am a little tired of being cursed out.  That's it for now.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are your cats really 20 pounds each?

Heather Knits said...

Most likely more. They have a cat door and neighbors feed them.

Anonymous said...

Please try to be a little less judgmental! You don’t know what anyone else’s struggles might be.

Heather Knits said...

I know what a desperate homeless person looks like. I see them on the bus all the time. Filthy, hair matted, etc

Is her husband a likely wife beater? Yes, but we have many wonderful agencies to help. She had a massive attitude in the store and out in the parking lot. It is very hard to feel sorry for someone like that.

Anonymous said...

Agree completely that you should try to be less judgemental. I have known several homeless people in my life who looked clean. The muslim woman's "massive attitude" in the store was likely a combination of cultural factors and the desperation you don't think she experiences. You looked at her note and only saw "some nonsense about hardship." You saw a family of five spending about $400. Probably money from one of the "million agencies who would help if she was in need." I don't know what you consider high end clothing, but my Wal-Mart doesn't sell anything higher end than basic business attire.

Trying to find a morning job is very common, as is looking for evenings. I help an elderly parent during the day (because I also experience some nonsense about hardship) and work evenings, for example. You told that woman looking for work that she needed to have availability that you don't have. Did you open your availability to include nights?

Heather Knits said...

I have always been available for nights and overnights, and made that clear when I applied.

What I do they need me the 3 days and the 2 nights, week to week, periodically late morning to 8-9 PM.

Walmart was OK with my availability because I have it open 7 days, for one, 12 hours a day during the day, overnights if available.

The woman (not the abusive one) specifically said she had applied a month ago and why hadn't they called her back? I asked her what her availability was and she said mornings M-F. I then explained Walmart wants more than that. Also her English was very poor there is no way she could be trained.

If she wanted afternoon/evenings they would have called her, assuming she passed her assessments.

My store sells some higher end clothes. Take the girls jeans for instance, she had the $20 a pair ones in the cart where we have a nice basic $8 pair.

I am pretty sure this is the same family that comes to the store and begs periodically. They are always clean and well dressed.

You forget I deal with truly desperate homeless on a regular basis and their clothes and bodies are completely different. Clothes are ragged, smell, beyond stained. Hair is greasy and matted.

I will refer you back to immaculate, starched, white headscarf.

I work with 2 Muslim ladies who do not look half as well put together.

Anonymous said...

My daughter just got a kitten from a farm. Wormed it twice and worms kept coming. Vet determined it was a tape worm they get from eating mice.
I wouldn't let my cat outside for that reason.

Heather Knits said...

Cleo's the one likes the wild game. Would she let me worm her? Very unlikely. I need to think about this.

Ideally I will get the catio fixed with chain link so she can't do another jailbreak. They would be able to get fresh air and sun, eat some grass, but that's it.