Thursday, November 10, 2022

I find this tragic

I am taking a moment to mourn a loss.  

Monday I went to the local store that has the good meat prices, good food safety (every time the meat people come out on the sales floor they are dressed properly and have the hair net), and nice smaller portions for people like me that I can actually afford.  

They had a lovely pot roast for $5.37 which I bought and has made 5 nice meals for work.  They also had some pieces of pork roast they said "for carnitas" but those cuts do well in a crock pot I read so I bought them.  Also about $5.  

I made the pot roast and it turned out really well, did up my portions with the kale and the juice all over everything because the juice is really good (recipe in preceding blog).  Oh, boy, how would my pork roast turn out!  

Last night I had some energy for a change, so after I did the dishes I set up the pork roast.  I had the liner bag in the crock pot.  I had the meat filling it up, nice marbled chunks with a good amount of fat (fat is my friend on keto), the meat just looked fantastic.  I was so excited.  I decided to set it up on my wall timer to cook overnight.  I set it to cook from 11 PM to 7 AM.  I added the broth, I added the red wine.  I added the spices and tenderly closed the lid and went to bed, bubbling with anticipation.  

I didn't smell it cooking last night but I don't smell it when I use a liner.  That can be good or bad depending.  So this morning I woke up and ran to the kitchen.  Only to find a crock pot full of raw, tepid, meat and the controller set to OFF.  The power came on alright, but the power was set to OFF instead of LOW so it didn't cook.  

WASTED.  RUINED.  I can't even give the meat to Jack's dog because she is on a limited ingredient diet.  Oh I was so disappointed.  Still am.  I was looking FORWARD to that meat.  

Now I have to figure out something at work for my next 4 meals (I made tuna for my second meal at work today).  Do I do more tuna?  Some frozen ground beef then cook it with taco seasonings?  Try to find another pork roast?  I have no idea, I will look, though.  

But I am taking a moment to be sad over it.  Now my thought on this maybe the meat was not processed correctly and would have made me sick if I had cooked it.  So God did me a favor allowing me to forget to turn on the crock pot.  

I'll know one day.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No god has no control over a crock pot. And dogs should not eat meat that is left out over night raw and uncooked and with red wine as wine is toxic to dogs. Thank god Jack's dog is on his special diet or you might have killed him.

Heather Knits said...

I wouldn't have fed the meat without getting permission. Don't worry it is working on stinking up my outside trash can.

I am chalking this up to "widow brain" forgetfulness.

And the dog is a girl.