Monday, November 7, 2022

I bought a bottle of wine today

 I took my shower, did my God Time, got dressed and out the door about a half hour earlier than I do on Thursday and Friday.  The bus driver said it was mayhem downtown.  

I saw that at the transit center, very long lines of people in Astros gear waiting to take the express bus downtown.  I didn't envy that driver.  

I got to the grocery store.  I got more apples.  3 for a dollar that is a really good deal.  The Granny Smith were really  bruised up but I found a couple of good ones.  At least they were good before they went in my bag, the fruit and vegetable bag (I had 3 bags going home) did take a beating and I haven't checked.  I got cucumbers, limes, blackberries, a big block of cheese as I go through about 2 pounds a week.  

I found the big packages of eggs were zip tied closed so I could not check to see if they were cracked.  And they had limits of 2.  So I just bought a dozen of the medium eggs which I could check.  I got caramels but they did not have pinata candy.  I bought a pound of cream cheese as I have found a chunk of that makes a good snack and could also go well with my celery.  

I found a nice beef shoulder roast 2 pounds.  2 pounds is about the limit for my crock pot.  And that is several meals, any more I will get sick of it.  Then I looked at the pork.  They had a lot of pork ribs and people fighting over them.  They had huge pork roasts bigger than my head.  They had pork heads, even.  It was nice today so apparently everyone is going to have an Astros BBQ tonight.  Our schools all closed today and the grocery store was pretty wild.  They had carnitas which was big chunks of good looking pork roast with some fat on it.  I am not afraid of meat fat.  It has helped me lose tons of weight.  So I got that and will put it in the crock pot which is apparently one thing you can do with them.  

I looked at the wine as I was thinking I could put some in the beef roast, I used to do that when Ron was alive, take some of his "wine box" wine and put it in my crock pot.  It was good.  But the cheapest wine they had, at $3.50, had a cork and I don't have a cork screw.  I don't think I do, at any rate, and I wouldn't want to mess with it if I did.  

I did find some tetra pak beef stock for $1.50 so I got that.  But on my way out I saw a liquor store in the strip mall.  I took all my groceries over to the store and asked for "cheap red wine".  I found a bottle for $6.  I got that, it has a screw cap, it was Sutter Home which I recognize.  It was a smaller bottle which is good as I don't need much.  She didn't have the 4 packs of the little wine like we do at work.  Next time I will get that.  

So I bought that and stuck it in the vegetable/fruit bag (hence my concern about the integrity of the fruits and veggies getting banged around with all that).  I also found out later I can use the red wine to cook the pork so I will try that if it works with the beef. 

I had a lot of fun getting it all home but my local route was still pretty quiet.  It was a little challenging walking with everything, it was heavy, but I did it.  

I prefer to carry a bag vs. use my handcart as it is easier to get on and off the bus.  

I plan to use the wine for cooking and then refrigerate what is left, use it for more cooking if it lasts that long.  Otherwise pour it out.  

I put it all away and drank my eggnog (no alcohol), took a nap.  I had Cleo and Biscuit with me.  

I woke up with a mild headache, probably the eggnog.  It is OK now.  I will be calling my parents pretty soon to hear about their day.  

That's it for now.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No need to throw wine away, if you don't use it all. Keep it, it will eventually become more vinegar like. You'll be killing 2 birds with one stone.