Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Tuesday morning

I slept pretty well but woke up with the house "cold".  I had two blankets and a sheet on me last night.  When I checked the thermostat it said 70 degrees.  When I went outside to do a chore it was much colder.  My house has no insulation as I found a few years ago so I don't know how it is so much warmer, inside, in the winter.  Well I credit God because I can't make human logic bend on that.  

There are a lot of things in my life, like money, that don't make sense because I feel God provides.  Even really good food deals like that $1.50 markdown greens blend, a pound of it, that lasted me days.  I am grateful.  

And my boss even said "Thank You" a few times the last week.  

I have exterior roll down blinds, they help cut the electric bill in the summer.  I rolled them up this morning.  There's a lot more light in the house.  I also turned off the fan I point at the thermostat (an old Ron trick) that also helped keep the air conditioning bill down in the summer.  It will not be "hot" for the next 10 days or so I feel fine doing that.  

Today I am going to figure out my egg cooker and get that going.  I have 18 eggs just waiting to get cooked.  If it works out I can take a couple to work every day.  I am just terrible at doing eggs in a skillet and I have tried everything.  Happily Ron did not demand eggs for breakfast.  We had a little gadget (oh he loved his infomercial toys) that could cook them in a microwave but they were kind of tough (as in chewy) so I got rid of it.  

I would also like to wash my bedding but various cats keep getting into it.  Biscuit moves down, Cleo moves up.  I guess I know what they do all day when I'm at work.  I will need to lint brush it before I do that.  Let me go find my lint brush.  

I found it, I also found two cats in my bed and Spotty on the trunk at the foot of my bed.  Poor Spotty the other cats won't let him in the bed.  They all get along great when I'm around but I'm not stupid, I know they fight when I'm gone.  But they know I want an agreeable household.  They know "get along" is a rule along with "no biting" and "no pissing" (out of box).  I don't have many rules.  

I decided to light a candle I got for my birthday.  It was in a metal tin and I was convinced TSA would not let me take it on the plane, but they did.  And here's another "favor" thing for lack of a better phrase, both times I flew TSA took one look at me and waved me through the metal detector instead of the backscatter machine.  Profiling I guess, fat middle aged white lady with graying brown hair in a ponytail  = no threat.  I was ready to go through the other one, though, both times.  I have no secrets and we all gave up rights after 9/11.  

On a totally different note I was bummed to notice work no longer carries the "Wowbutter" fake peanut butter.  I love that stuff.  Amazon does sell it though but of course not as cheap.  We will see.  Not in the budget right now.  I should probably focus on eating more fats and proteins.  

I want to be careful with what I have.  Some would say I am "lavish" with the candy but you could also call that my tithe.  

And my first load of laundry is almost done.  Happy about that.  I bought a big package of Tide PODS with my gift card from my sister in law.  That will help with the laundry for a long time to come.  And prices just keep going up...and we have 2 more years of this president.  

I didn't worry about buying groceries under the last president, all I am going to say.  I will say I am definitely voting in the midterm elections.  

It was fun voting with Ron.  I would take him in the wheelchair, present his ID and mine, I would go vote for me, come back, get him and his secret code, go vote for him.  2020 the Democratic election worker took exception to that and followed us, spied on me helping Ron vote.  She made a very sour face when he said "A straight Republican ticket".  Ron asked about my cousin who was on the ballot.  He wanted to make sure he had voted for my cousin, and he did (so did I of course, and my cousin won).  When the worker found out I had a cousin on the ballot she ran off pretty quick because what she did was illegal.  She was entitled to go up to Ron and ask if he wanted me to help him vote, and then accept the answer and leave, not spy on how he voted.  That had been done a few times over the years.  A worker asking if Ron wanted help and he always said he wanted my help.  Then they would say if he changed his mind to let them know.  That is appropriate.  

One year we voted differently.  Long story short I found a policeman out while I was walking to the polling place, or what I thought was mine.  He said please vote for the Democrat for sheriff he will be much better than the Republican.  All the policeman love the Democrat, please.  So I went home, got Ron, we took a cab to the right polling place.  

I told Ron what the policeman said but he was unmoved.  So I voted for the Republican for Ron and the Democrat for me.  We basically cancelled each other out.  As I recall the Democrat won.  But I was glad I had talked to the policeman.  

Yay the yard guy is here.  My yard was looking pretty bad.  And I don't have any cold water in the fridge.  

I am very proud of Biscuit, it only took him an hour to come out from under the bed (Cleo came out in a few minutes).  You see, when I met Biscuit he came out of the woods at the bus stop, meowing, so sweet and cute, and bold.  He climbed me like a tree and sat on my shoulder until the bus came, then tried to follow me onboard.  He could not have been bolder, or cuter.  

I did the Bible Handout and when I got back a Bad Woman was kicking him in the head and threatening to kill him.  He never got over that, he's very timid boy.  He was friendly with me and Ron but no one else.  So I am proud he came out after only an hour.  While I've been typing he has been getting up in my lap and butting against my hands as I type.  He knows I'm writing about him.  He's a good boy.  

Torbie was pampered up until her time at the shelter and only then met nice people who either wanted to give a cat a good home (kind) or kindly animal techs, one who almost wept for joy when I took her.  Her playbook was full of great humans so she was always very outgoing.  Baby Girl was very outgoing when we met her about 2 months old, on our porch.  Ron adored her and pampered her endlessly so she was also outgoing.  I lost both this year so all I have now are the 'fraidy cats.  

That's OK, I love them.  They are good cats and love me.  

That's it for now.  OH, I am curious to get comments...what is your thermostat set during the winter?  I hear natural gas prices are going up so I am going to keep it cooler.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the people who believe in god who freeze to death?

Anonymous said...

my thermostat is set at 68

Anonymous said...

I keep mine on 68 in the winter.

Heather Knits said...

Not sure what you're talking about, 12:58. God allows trials for everyone, I'm a good example. Why do I have to struggle financially AND with horrible depression? In my case I know it makes me lean more on God.

Ron used to talk about "earthquake victims" maybe I need to do another post on that. But basically his theory was sometimes God allowed people to be victims so others had a chance to help.

Ron is a good example. When he was helpless I had a choice, I could walk away or I could help him. It was 100% my decision and I made the one I could live with. When I found Cleo in the yard starving and terrified I had a choice there, too. When people have been in need Ron and I had the choice to either help them or not and we almost always chose to help.

And there are ministries that hand out blankets and heaters to those in need. If anything the big freeze a couple years ago my own brother in law froze to death in it. I did not know at the time and I had no transportation to help him anyway, but he died, froze to death, because of grid problems and someone chose not to update the grid for those kind of events. I took care of Ron, that was my row to work, myself, and the cats but Jay had no one to take care of him, I guess. I am no longer in touch with his family. All I know they checked on him when it was over and found him dead.

I kept the thermostat at 70 last night which seems to mean it kicks on at 67 (thermostat is eccentric). Heater worked, too. I love natural gas heat.

Anonymous said...

If bad times come from "god" who blesses them with bounty?

Heather Knits said...

God allows bad times to increase our dependence on Him. He sends good times to provision us.

My faith would not be what it is (battered at that) had I not had my trials. So many times I didn't see a way out until God sent one. This latest check is just another example.