Sunday, October 9, 2022

Sunday

Well bad news for me... I was sitting in the break room on my lunch today and one of the middle managers I like was talking about times he got really, really, drunk.  You can imagine the effect that had on me.  It would have been kinder to throw the ice bucket.  That is a definite deal breaker.  

Now if I met a man who said one time he got really drunk and made an ass out of himself, so he resolved not to drink again. I would consider that.  But alcohol is non negotiable I don't want a drinker.  Ron swore he didn't drink.  After I moved in he said he was a light drinker and let's go to Liquor Barn and see what they have...then at the end he's chugging 3 gallons of the hard stuff a month.  

I have had some people say, basically, I am "mean" because I have a hard view of the homeless.  1.  Most of the ones I have met have been alcohol abusers.  2.  I have encountered homeless who urinate and defecate in public areas and I have talked about that.  3.  I tell people not to give the guy with the sign any money.  If you absolutely must give him something then give him food or a bottle of water only.  Do you really want to buy a package of cigarettes?  Because they are all chain smokers, at least the ones I've met.  Some people get mad and say I am being cruel.  I'm not.  I'm not a psychiatrist but I have met many homeless who had clear signs of mental illness, and one occasion a man who TOLD me he was diagnosed bipolar but refused to take any medication.  I'm not going to support someone like that and I'm not sorry.  I'm not buying drugs, alcohol, and smokes for someone who isn't working.  I work an hour to take home $12.  I value that money and spend it carefully.  I have given food to coworkers because they work hard and one of them was having a blood sugar drop.  The other one I was sociable and gave her a guava while I was eating mine at dinner.  

Also all these other people have a car.  They can pull up on a homeless person and have a short or a long interaction if they choose, but when they are done interacting they can drive away and never see them again.  I do not have that luxury.  I am out at the same old bus stop same old time week after week.  If I start handing out things none of them will leave me alone, and we had 5 homeless people on my last bus this morning.  I don't have that kind of money I can barely do anything for the drivers.  

This morning was nuts.  I got a late start, the combination of Biscuit all cuddly in the bed + snooze alarm is dangerous.  But I got out on time.  First bus was fine.  Second bus was an hour late.  There's me standing by the side of the road as the sun comes up, for an hour, waiting for a bus that never came (they run every half hour).  The next bus came and I got on board.  Another passenger was bitching about the missing bus so it wasn't just me.  I got to the transit center, third bus.  

Not one, not two, but five homeless people.  One of them was having "an episode" screaming and crying, very anxious, then rude and sullen, then acting very dumb, there is no other way to say it.  I am still not sure if she was "playing dumb" to provoke us or whether she really couldn't understand simple directions.  I don't know.  She dithered about getting off at the proper stop, then got on again and said she "couldn't" walk across one street and wait at the clearly marked bus stop.  It was exhausting.  I wanted to be nice but I was tired and running late thanks to that other bus, and really needed to get to work.  She finally got off for good and the driver just sat there for a minute, I would have peeled out of there.  I do believe, based on things she was saying, that she was illiterate because she was looking right at the Walgreens sign and the bus driver and 3 other people were saying "go to the Walgreens" and she said "Where?" with this totally vacant expression.  I do know she should have been in a group home because she obviously couldn't take care of herself.  

Finally got to work, got started.  Did that.  Headache tried to come back so I got out my Excedrin and whacked it!  A coworker came in she was complaining about a headache.  I gave her some Excedrin and she was happy to get it.  Poor thing.  Nothing worse than a bad headache when you are trying to work.  

The other girl was only a little late today but I had to do some shopping so it didn't matter.  I got the big padded envelope to mail the leggings, it only came in an 8 pack and was not cheap!  I used the last of the gift cards on that.  The leggings did fit.  I looked for any sort of decent hard wrapped candy and could only find a caramel apple lollipop.  It was better than nothing so I got that.  Then I bought 20 full sized Snickers.  Again, not cheap, but this is a tradition I plan to carry forward.  Ron and I have been doing the full sized Snickers for over a decade kids expect it.  There won't be any other candy with it this year but they will have that at least. 

I bought one of those 50 cent chips and a bottle of Diet Dew and paid, then went to the bus stop.  And look, there's the bus, and I'm on the wrong side both ways... so he left.  That's OK there is always another driver so I did that one.  Seeing the other bus meant I knew I had time to eat the chips and drink my soda.  And I had washed my hands before leaving work so I felt OK with that.  

The next bus came and got me to the transit center on time, and then I caught my next bus.  I had the chocolate in my insulated lunch bag with an ice pack so I wasn't worried about it in the heat.  And they were fine.  

Bus driver was happy to see me I think I am the only smiling face, he has huge dreadlocks but apparently the company is OK with that.  Used to be all the bus drivers had to have a crew cut.  He piles them on top of his head under a huge hat.  But he's a good driver so what do I care.  Ron always looked scraggly it didn't stop me from loving and appreciating him.  Don't judge based on looks, so I don't.  I have yet to see a driver with a visible tattoo "sleeve" though.  Yet they are always hiring.  Maybe they need to think about that.  

Walmart allows piercings and tattoos, wild colored hair, etc.  It is kind of fun to see.  You just have to wear long pants and no rips in your jeans.  

I got home OK.  My stuff was bulky but not heavy which was a nice change.  I got home and put the chocolate in the fridge (I still keep the house at 85 so the AC won't run very much, even at that the electric bill was still $90 last month), put the lollipops in Ron's room (I have a table setup where I bag the candy).  Greeted Biscuit who is so faithful to me.  He's a really good boy.  I saw Spotty a little, I picked him up and held him in one arm while I rubbed his face and head with the other, he liked that.  I did not see Cleo I assume she is out having fun.  

Mom flew to Florida to take care of her mom and Dad is at home.  She told me not to call her so I called him.  He is doing well.  He is going to think about a water exercise class which I think is a huge step for him.  This is the first time he hasn't rejected the idea outright.  I just said it would help him move around with more confidence and help his joints, he liked that.  At 81 he is bound to be having a joint issue or two.  I was very happy about that.  

Then I did a load of work clothes (outerwear, jeans, tops) with the sanitizer (I will need more of that) and Tide so it will be really clean.  I have it on soak right now then I will run a regular load.  I don't want sanitizer in my underwear or bra.  That would probably be irritating.  So that will be another load.  

That's it for now.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize you could have gone to the post office and used one of their small flat rate boxes to send the 50 cent leggings in. Seriously a padded envelope was over kill and for what you spent on those envelopes and then shipping it wasn't even worth it to mail 50
cent leggings to your step mother who can certainly afford to buy regular priced leggings.

Anonymous said...

Again just because a man talks to you doesn't mean he is interested in you like that.

Heather Knits said...

With Jack we are not each other's type and he has a pit bull. That would be a big issue with the cats.

If God wants me to remarry he's out there. In the meantime I need to work on my housecleaning that would scare ANY man off.

Anonymous 2 if you are talking about the hard drinking guy no, he never gave me any signs he liked me. But he had been very kind to me over a period of time when I was a wreck and I really appreciated it. If he had been saved and a non drinker, and it wouldn't have gotten either of us in trouble at work, who knows? But not now for a couple of reasons. He was the first guy I had an interest in after Ron died he is notable for that.

About the post office I think I would have come out even on the flat rate boxes vs the envelope. Plus they don't always have the flat rate boxes. You may remember some years back I ordered large flat rate boxes to be delivered to my home. I wanted 10. I believe they sent me 60? My aunt and uncle had to haul a whole trunk load to their post office. So I have plenty of the large boxes. Small ones I will see if they have and pick some up if they have them at this post office when I go (can't go today Federal Holiday). Good news leggings do fit in what I got so I can ship them OK and the padding will keep them from being torn up in the machines at work (was told by a postal worker to always put odd shaped items in a padded envelope for that reason, the machines will shred them).

I think it was a fun "let's match" thing with Mom. She often goes walking with a friend so I told her to give me that lady's size and if I see something cute next time I can get them a matching set. They like to wear leggings on their daily walk and PROPS to them in their 80's going for an hour long walk every morning. I was running to keep up with her, too. She is doing so many good things for her health...

Heather Knits said...

Post office difference in price between my envelope and flat rate box was $1.