Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Kale!

I try to eat kale anyway as it is very nutritious, beta carotene, iron, b vitamins, fiber, some protein, etc.  And I have noticed something that proved again today: whenever I eat kale I drop at least half a pound the next day.  I am 186.6 today.  Thank you, kale.  

And I was "bad" I had half a banana (it got very bruised on the trip home so I only ate the good part), a small apple, and 2 double cheeseburgers (I let myself get too hungry on that), in addition to my other food.  So the monster kale/spinach salad (at least 3-4 cups) with ranch did the trick.  I need to eat all that up before it goes bad so going to have another salad with breakfast.  

I find that interesting and worth passing on.  Kale will not derail your eating plan if you just steam it in the microwave or add it to your salad.  I get the precut kale that is easier for me but you can do what you want.  Put some in your veggie soup (that is good, and I need to make one next week), chop some for your scrambled eggs or rice if you're doing that, lots of ideas for kale.  And maybe it will help you too.  My theory is it has some vitamin my body is seeking and when it finds it in the kale it says "OK I can drop a little weight now".  

Am I manic for kale?  No.  Am I a kale fan?  Yes.  If I ever get my veggie garden started again I would definitely have kale.  It is a pretty plant to look at, I think.  That's all on that.  

So I am down some weight very happy about that.  I am going to the post office today.  It will be interesting as there is a very popular homeless hangout near the post office.  I may have an interaction or two.  But I dress poor and all I have to say is "NO".  My understanding they generally leave the bus riders alone because they get their money/food/etc elsewhere.  We will see; I hope it works out I would like to send more gifts.  

Dad's on one side of the country and Mom's on the other, dealing with her 101 year old, very stubborn, mother.  I think I can share that much.  You can imagine some of the issues she is facing.  So I called Dad first and he spent about 20 minutes 😂 telling me how he fixed the water pump for his little water fall because he knows I have a rudimentary knowledge of electronics because I was a HAM radio operator and had to study all that to pass my test (55 questions when I took it, now 35).  

Side note I have thought of getting my license back because it would be good for safety and possibly meeting a man.  The kind of guy who becomes a HAM will be stable and reasonably intelligent.  Something to consider.  If nothing else it would be nice to take out a handheld when I am having difficulty, speak into it, have a man's voice coming back out.  Not a lot of women in HAM radio when I was, the ones who did did it with their husband.  

So I got the long version and I was honored I did.  I won't have him forever and here he is going on about ground faults, grounding wires, safety, etc.  he sure has his wits for certain.  I told him about my day and he was glad to hear it went OK.  There isn't much he can do about me riding the bus so I try to emphasize the positive parts.  And it did go well yesterday.  

Then Dad finished up and we ended the call.  Then I called Mom and got the scoop on her Mom and did second one of her decisions she had made for today ("I think I will" "Yes that's a very good idea") because no one wants unwanted advice.  She did say she felt better having me second that, though.  It could be difficult for her today so I think the other lady will help her.  And I told her about my big produce haul as well.  

I will be investing more of my grocery money in the produce I think.  I will benefit in a lot of ways doing that.  Not just weight.  This is all about me being healthy, I forget who I said it to, but I'll say it here again, I don't want to be one of those obese older women struggling to take a few steps.  I can prevent that now if I'm quick.  I can't prevent an accident of some sort but I can at least keep from hurting myself.  Obesity is hell on joints, I see that a lot at work some of the older women, not that much older than me.  They are all between 10-20 years older.  So I still have time thank God.  

I couldn't do anything before I was in crisis mode with Ron just trying to keep him alive (until he wasn't).  But things have settled down now I can do that.  

One fear I have is that I will meet a man like Ron was want to take me out to dinner all the time at fattening places like Olive Garden.  And I will go along and gain it all back.  DO NOT want that.  And that is one reason I weighed every day at my parents house when I was eating off plan so I would know what I was doing.  

Can't really meet a guy who loves to cook as I have a tiny kitchen.  I think it is 60 square feet if that.  You could fit 3-4 of it in my Mom's kitchen and I'm sure my aunt's.  So if he loves to cook I hope he is pretty slim because it's tight quarters in there.  I wouldn't mind a bigger guy if he is working on it.  It would just be crowded in the kitchen.  I couldn't fit in there with Ron in the wheelchair.  

Plus I have some problems in the kitchen.  I haven't used the dishwasher in a very long time I don't think it is any good now, the stove is misbehaving, and the garbage disposal is stuck.  I can work around that but can someone else?  I mean, really, the last thing I need to be doing is baking.  I don't stress about that, though.  

I plan to take out a frozen turkey chub and cook up some taco meat tomorrow for work, that is always good and I have plenty of the spice left.  I got the big jar of McCormick Taco Seasoning a couple years ago and just use 3 T per pound when I cook it up, it is very easy and very tasty (I know it must have MSG but it doesn't jack with my blood sugars).  I also got a sausage chub I can cook as well.  That all happens tomorrow.  I work 5 days in a row when I go back to work so, unlike last time, I will make an abundance of meals so I am not stuck looking at the fridge on Monday morning saying "What am I going to take for my lunch and dinner?"  I portion a pound of meat into 4 days.  

But first I need to get my shower and get ready to go for today.  That's it for now.  

Eat kale!  😂

No comments: