Saturday, August 11, 2012

A letter to my first church

Hello,
My name is Heather.  Back from 1979-1985, my family attended [church].  I was Heather __  back then.  

I have a learning disability, and always had trouble understanding the sermons, so Dad would hand me the "Good News" paperback Bible you kept in the pews.  I read it from cover to cover during the sermons, and got saved a year later at age 8.  

When I was in the third grade, you presented me with a lovely, hardback, Good News Bible of my own.  I thought you might enjoy hearing just where we ended up.  

God has done amazing things in my life, using me in spite of severe mental illness and permanent brain damage.  I do Bible Handouts.  

That's right.  You can often find me, standing on a busy median in Houston, Texas, holding my Free Bibles sign.  I hand out Bibles to everyone, including quite a few gang members.  My husband is also disabled and we're low income, but we always manage to get more Bibles for handout.  

I've handed out many; and all of them trace right back to that first Bible you gave me as a child.  Thank you.  

Isaiah 55:11
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

No comments: