Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"He gets all my money"

Today was my day off.

Last night, I felt pretty horrible.  I had a horrible headache and nausea.  I came very close to vomiting, after I took my phenergan.  Happily, I kept it down, laid down, and got a good night's sleep.

I woke up today and took it easy.  I basically did my God Time, a little reading, took a long nap.  I figured, if I needed the sleep I'd better get it.

After I got up, Ron and I decided to go out on the bus.  I put him in the wheelchair and pushed him to the bus stop.  When we got to the transfer point, I saw another guy.

His electric wheelchair was parked at an odd angle, near traffic, on the grassy verge.  He was holding a white cane but clearly had some vision.

I watched him out of the corner of my eye.  It is very unusual to see a blind man (even legally blind) in a wheelchair, and I know for a fact Medicare does not pay for electric wheelchairs for blind people - for obvious reasons.  I had some red flags going.

I made sure Ron was parked safely.  The other guy began waving his urine bag at me in a drunken fashion.  The bag was not full.

When Ron had a catheter, after his accident (he had it for weeks after he came home), they told me, again and again, DO NOT RAISE IT ABOVE HIP LEVEL because the old urine can back flow into the patient's body and cause horrible infections.

Here this guy was waving it around at shoulder level.  I concluded he WAS drunk and kept talking to Ron.

Next thing I know, the guy (who is big) has fallen on the ground.  I prayed about it - Lord, what do I do?  I'm not picking up a drunk guy twice my weight - even if I could.   Some men came over and helped him back into his wheelchair - but he kept falling out again.

When they brought him over by the bus stop, I could smell the alcohol - rum, I think.  It was overpowering.  Amazingly, they let him on the bus.

As we were riding the bus, considered a "black ghetto" bus, a white guy with a a foot cast came up to me, panhandling.   "I'm a cripple!" he shouted.  I just looked at Ron, then back at him.  "Sorry, he gets all my money" I said.  He left me alone after that.

The other guy in a wheelchair made a few comments to us while riding, enough for me to confirm he was drunk.  I asked Ron later, who let him out in public without a caregiver?

When we got off, so did our "friend" in the wheelchair.  I hustled Ron out of there.  The guy in the wheelchair followed us, but I was fast.

I got a cold drink, and when we came out of the gas station I saw the guy in the parking lot, just sitting there.  I didn't know what game he was playing, but I didn't want to join.

Ron and I went to Academy, where I got 2 hoodies.  I found a really cute hot pink, I love it, (I started cycling manic yesterday), it's a wonderful mania color.  However, I will not wear that when I'm depressed.  I found a nice navy.  For what they charge, I could afford to get both.  So, I have the hot pink manic, and the navy depressed.

I told Ron, it may seem a little weird, having two wardrobes, but it works for me.  We got something to eat and came home.

I did aggravate my sunburn a little, but otherwise we had a lot of fun.  "Quality Time" is my love language, so I am completely happy pushing Ron in the wheelchair and yakking away.

Tomorrow, work, but not for very long.  Then a few fun errands and home again.

No comments: