Thursday, August 2, 2012

Losing my religion

I'm listening to "Losing my Religion".  I think I'll buy it.

You might find it ironic, a Bible-thumper listening to it, but I think most will agree, we could all stand to lose some "religion".

Whether it's separatism, saying "We don't want to marry black people in a white church, even though their money was good enough for the offering plate".  Whether it's a "pastor" saying "There are many roads to God", or someone else disparaging the Bible - we need to lose it.

Brother Yun talks a lot in his book "Living Water" - an excellent read.  [Sorry, I just cued up a Gregorian chant cover of "Losing my Religion" and it's hysterical]

Anyway, Brother Yun thinks the communist persecution was the best thing that ever happened to the Chinese church.  It stripped away all the "culture", dogma, and structure, leaving a bunch of free-flowing, Bible-memorizing, evangelists.  As a result, Christians in China measure in the hundreds of millions.

So, lose the "religion".

One thing I love about my church: half the men show up in flip-flops.

2 comments:

Paula said...

New video blog! Extra points if Rawn is in it!

Anonymous said...

That's a great song. I always liked REM.

The band said that the title comes from slang, that to "lose your religion" means to curse/swear. I didn't know that before I read an interview with them, and had never heard that slang before. (We don't use it in Canada, at least, not in my part of it.)

Religion that has just become routine is not real religion at all. But when religion is about worshipping God, then that is "true" religion.

Communists made it impossible just to be Christian and had innocent people put to death for their belief in Christ. They wanted a state without God in it. I find it hard to conceive that anything good came out of communism, but I also know that great saints and martyrs came out of resistance to communism, too..