Thursday, August 30, 2012

Trips Hell

It's been a weird day, already, and I haven't even gone to Walmart!

Our first ride was late.

It's always a bad sign when the driver has a bunch of stuff in the front passenger seat.    Generally, that indicates a driver with extreme control issues.  The drivers are supposed to keep all 4 passenger seats clear for passengers.

It wasn't just a clipboard or a map on the seat, it was lots and lots of stuff.  She clearly did not want anyone "in her space" (if so, don't drive a paratransit cab!).

Why am I going on about her?  Because, when she realized we were on a schedule, she deliberately took the slowest routes possible, driving very slowly, getting "stuck" in traffic when she could have easily taken another route, and incessantly asking "When are they coming to get you?  How long do you have before your next pickup?"  She already knew, she was trying to "work us up" about it.

I ignored it, even when she got "stuck" behind a crane going 40 mph on the freeway.  I counted multiple clear lanes on either side, but no, she had to stay in that lane, inching along at 40 mph, blaming "the crane" for the slow progress.  I looked at the cars whizzing past us at 70 mph, on either side, and thought "It's like that, huh?"

She wanted me to get mad.  She wanted me to complain, so she could be a victim.  So, I didn't.

I guess she felt like she got her payoff,  as she pulled into the parking lot.  She approached the entrance at a high rate of speed, like she was going to drive right past, and I said "We need to get out here!"  She turned and looked at me, making a big production out of "Where else was I going to drop you?"

Well, why did she pass it up?  She only stopped when I told her to - agh.  I hate head games.

I really hate control freak game-playing drivers.  Why can't they just do the job they are paid to do?

99% of them are great, but boy, the 1% sure make those trips hell.

No comments: