Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Some toilet details you may not want

I keep emergency cab fare on hand in case I get stuck somewhere.  It has been useful a time or two and then I replenish.  

I decided, Monday, when this all happened I would use that money for a Walmart run of bottled water and some 5 gallon buckets in addition to some more canned food and Gatorade drinks for workers.  So I did that today, called my guy who was here in about half an hour (standard timing for him).  

He is a very nice married man who actually asks questions about the cats and knows details like "That's the one that didn't want to come in the house, right?" even though he is not a cat person.  He is very good at what he does and I would absolutely hire him as my driver if I won the lotto.  He is a skilled driver as well.  

COMPLETELY off limits.  I have been cheated on and I would never put another woman through that, besides I doubt I am his type!  😂  Just clarifying, he is a friend who drives me around sometimes and I pay him, much like the OTHER guy (Jack) who also does this.  

If a woman wanted to help me out with rides I would be happy but so far it has only been my aunt (who has moved) and these 2 guys.  

So I got to the store and got 3 cases of the 40 count waters.  They are pretty heavy and let me tell you I had a fun time making corners in that cart.  I bought some canned food, dry Gatorade Zero mix powder for me, more decaf tea bags (I ran OUT [traumatized face!}), some canned fish.  

Canned fish is a really bad proposition if you don't have running water as you can't wash your hands.  But it is good for a quick lunch for work.  So I got more.  

I also got two, five gallon buckets.  Those are good if a hurricane is coming, or the big freeze we had a few years ago.  I was able to fill up some buckets with tap water and use them for hand washing, toilet flushing, etc. while Ron and I drank the bottled water (he always wanted bottled water but I am fine with tap).  It does work to have a couple on hand but I had to re purpose one of them as my, ah, no water toilet and the other one I'm not sure but it's not around.  Clearly I will need the no-water toilet if I have a loss of water again.  

What I did: 5 gallon bucket (a distinct color not shared by my other buckets), put a trash bag liner in it, put a layer of feline pine pellets in it.  Works as a solid toilet.  Liquid waste can go in toilet and get flushed down with some bucket water once a day or so.  It did work when I had the horrible toilet clog some time ago.  I resolved that by getting a "poop knife" an implement used to break up hard solids. It is not a knife but does the job well.  I clean it after every use.  

 And now that you are completely traumatized...I also bought some Halo Top Keto ice cream, a caramel pecan flavor.  It was not cheap, but it did come with a coupon.  It was good to eat when I got home.  

I was also "bad" and bought a 6 pack of Diet Dew bottles, and now have a headache as a result.  I also ran by the deli (very well run) and got some chicken strips and potatoes.  A "small" portion of potato wedges was more than enough but I also got a few chicken strips as well.  I took my pills with my ice cream at home as I figured that would be the biggest calorie dump of the day.  

I called my buddy again, he was a ways away but I waited.  He was a sure bet, other things were not, and he was about the only person I knew who would be willing to help with 3 cases of bottled water.  He was, we got home and he left it all on the porch.  I gave him a LARGE tip as he had it coming and he was happy.  I want to feel like I take good care of my service providers.  

I put it all up in the house, that's done.  The store did not have 5 gallon bucket lids but I had some at home so I am set in that regard.  I need to buy some no rinse body bath and a smaller bucket for that and I am set for now.  I also need to figure out things that are good to eat that do not require hand washing after.  I had a lot of canned fish but that wasn't really practical as I found out, the macaroni with meat sauce was drippy and got on my clothes.  I was able to get it out but still...I need to think that out. 

I also bought some bottles of Gatorade drink mix in the one quart bottles.  Those are for any sort of worker who shows up.  Like the yard guys.  I think that is important.  I always try to keep cold drinks and that plumber was more than happy to drink 3 bottles of icy cold water, but I would have felt better giving him some Gatorade too.  I had planned to give him $20 (I had a single, $20 bill I later used for the ride to Walmart), but someone else showed up so I couldn't do it.  But I did give him the water, some candy, and I even hugged him (I did not care he was sweaty, he got my water back!).  So hopefully he felt appreciated.  

Even with the waiting I was home in about an hour and a half after I left.  That was so much faster than going out on the bus.  If I had more money I would probably never ride the bus because it is hot and miserable at the bus stop, weird people (need I say more?), and it takes so long.  But I feel like God wants me handing out material to the bus drivers and the occasional passenger, so I keep it up.  But if I remarry and he wants to drive me everywhere I will not argue.  

But I am a terrible housekeeper so a lot of arguments to stay single.  That's it for now.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to be a terrible housekeeper. ;)
I have to force myself to get up and clean but once I get going I feel so good to have a clean house. I put on music and light a candle.