Sunday, February 24, 2019

Universal label

I slept pretty well last night but woke up with my back, itching, ferociously.  When I sleep I spread my long hair over the pillow so I don't roll over on it (did that once and ow!).  Some had slipped down and gotten between my back and the mattress.  So itchy!  I fixed it and tried to go back to sleep, still couldn't, so I just got up. 

It was around 7.  I made some tea and took a shower.  I got dressed.  I got on the computer for a while.  I decided to leave for the store around 9. 

I didn't have any problems getting to the bus stop, but traffic on our busy cross street was pretty energetic.  I ran as fast as I could. 

The bus came about 10 minutes into waiting, not bad for a Sunday.  My "expires in Feb 2019" bus pass still works.  I got off at the correct stop and crossed another busy street, but this one had a light and was easier.  My fannypack loosened up and almost fell off as I darted across the street. 

The store information online SAID they opened at 8.  It was about 9:30 and the parking lot was packed.  Apparently they did open early.  I went in, passing the security guard.  They have to have one, there's a pretty bad apartment complex nearby. 

I looked around for a while and found my tea.  I was interested in the bitter melon tea because it has had some good results with lowering blood sugar.  Mine is about 20 points too high, most of the time.  I found it and began browsing the different brands.  They all had an image of a bitter melon gourd and a cup of tea next to it.  Universal label. 

About that time, I got a text.  From my Dad.  Very unusual.  They would be busy later today, and wanted me to call.  I was shocked.  They just don't ask me to call, unless there is a crisis. 

I called and chatted while I browsed the tea and spices.  I selected some bitter melon tea; two kinds of curry, one in a glass jar (ideal); and some licorice root (it is a good overall tonic).  After I hung up, I got 2 bottles of brewed tea, one an Assam, and one jasmine. 

I paid, only $20 for everything, and not very heavy on the bags, either.  I walked out across the parking lot to the bus stop, only to see it LEAVE.  Curses.  I had to go stand next to a bag full of dead crawfish shells.  The crawfish had been seasoned, boiled, and eaten, then they threw the bag of shells by the side of the road, by my bus stop. 

I said it wasn't an ideal neighborhood.  I waited about half an hour - that's how fast they run, half an hour, on Sunday.  The next bus came.  There was a guy sitting where I normally like to go.  He had a walker and kept staring at my face.  Yes, I understand it is unusual to see a white woman on that bus route, at least where we were, but staring is rude!  He was white, btw.  He also failed to locate the "signal" to let the driver know he wanted the next stop, so he had to scramble for one as she approached it.  Of course he could have just said "Next stop, please". 

I got to my stop, signaled, got off.  My phone rang with Ron's ringtone.  I laughed as I answered it, telling him I had just gotten off the bus.  He was happy to hear I was coming home.  I walked home, it was uneventful except for some slight fatigue carrying my bags (I had drunk the tea while waiting on my bus).  I also saw the black cat.  He lives around the corner.  They leave the garage door open a little bit, I suspected it was his house but I saw him go running over when someone came out.  Good to know he has a good home.  They sure feed him right. 

I did not pet him, and when I got home my guys were happy to hear it.  I put my stuff away, talked to Ron for a while, and took a nap. 

I woke up with a pretty bad headache.  I didn't take anything and some of it faded off, but it is still around.  We have an early pickup tomorrow but should be done early as well. 

I plan to make a curry. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your father is weird. I don't think you will get anything when he dies in the will. Shame he was never really a father and will screw you even in death.

Heather Knits said...

I have my own theory about him I will share after he "graduates".

But I am not expecting anything. When my mother died I ended up, at the end of it, with a string of pearls, a painting, a couple of photos, and several hundred dollars. Considering I expected nothing I was very impressed.

I am supposedly in the will but I hope he spends it all and has just enough left to pay for the funeral. I would rather know he was out living it up. He worked very hard the first 50 years of his work life and it does me good to see him out and having fun.

It is nice to know he is secure enough he won't need money from me, or assistance. I have my hands full with Ron so no one except my sister ever expected anything of me (I was supposed to leave Ron and go care for my sister, according to her plan). Ron's like a free pass on all of that. :p