Tuesday, February 19, 2019

I wanted a boring day off

"May you live in interesting times".  Said to be an old curse. 

Someone cursed me. 

I slept, and slept some more.  I slept LATE, for me, 9 AM.  I got on the computer for a while and took my shower, got dressed.  I was ready to go: I would walk to the bus stop, about half a mile, and take the bus to the grocery store that has a mini-bank.  I would look around the store, maybe eat at a restaurant nearby, and come home on the bus. 

I would have to walk past the "bad dog's" house.  It is very aggressive every time someone walks by.  All the houses have a pretty high, solid wood fence but this dog actually managed to break a hole in the fence at one point. 

So I packed my stun gun. 

I left the house, saw Mr #2, waved at him.  He waved back.  I like him, he is quiet and clean.  I went another block.  And I saw something moving.  A huge white dog had "treed" something on top of a car, and was bouncing all around the car, very aggressive. 

I had my stun gun.  But it was a very large dog.  I haven't had a lot of good interactions with dogs.  I can count those on one hand.  I wasn't about to literally walk into that scene. 

I could tell it was owned, it had a thick, clean, white coat, and it was raining and has been muddy of late.  So it was washed very recently.  But that didn't mean it was a friendly dog, and it could very well be the aggressive dog I have heard but not seen. 

I stood there for a minute or two, I wanted to run my errand but I didn't want to get munched.  I remembered Ron had given me money to take Arturo home from the store.  I would have to take a cab, I concluded, because it just wasn't safe to walk. 

I turned around and came home.  Ron wanted to sleep, and seemed a little annoyed to see me again.  I called Arturo, who said he would be there "in 15 minutes" and got on the computer.  Arturo was there in 5. 

I decided if I was going to pay for a cab, I wanted to go to Walmart.  My bank has a branch over near there.  So we went to Walmart.  I made my deposit, and did some shopping while I talked to my aunt.  I was delighted to find some blood oranges, for instance.  They don't have them on the delivery option but there they were on display.  I grabbed a bag. 

I had a good time shopping, talking to my aunt.  I had just been so I didn't spend more than about $50, and that was including 12 protein shakes. 

I need to go check the mail, brb. 

 It's not there yet, I see the truck down the street so I will go back in about half an hour. 

I got the blood oranges, protein shakes, some key limes, etc.  I didn't buy any perishables because:
1.  Arturo could have moved to another part of town. 
2.  If he couldn't do it, no guarantee my other guys could, either. 
3.  Cab drivers hate a Walmart pickup. 
4.  It might be a long wait. 

So the only "crazy" thing I got is the fruit, because I have discovered I really like fruit for a snack.  And, my blood sugar was down to 101 this morning. 

I paid, got everything into one big bag and two small ones.  I went through security, showed my receipt even though they didn't ask, and went out the door.  THEN I called Arturo.  "20 minutes". 

I ate my corn dog and potato wedges and talked to Ron a little, he had woken up and called me.  We had a good chat.  Arturo came, we went home. 

He even helped put everything in the garage.  I put everything away and took a nap, woke up with a headache but it faded off pretty quick once I got up.  One ear was a little clogged so I took one of my mucus pills for that. 

I have been taking my allergy pills the last couple days, too, I get a little panicky in the dental chair and the more air, the better.  I remind myself of the little tube they had in Ron, for air, after his accident.  That helps. 

But I'll be really glad when I get up out of that chair tomorrow. 

Ron is still saying he will take me, wait while I'm "done", and take me home again.  That would be nice but we will see.  This time I will have him in the room, the dentist likes to talk to him and I will know if Ron needs any sort of help.  It will, I hope, help take my mind off of things. 

And I really doubt I'm unusual in saying this makes me uncomfortable.  And the dentist is the nicest guy, it's not him.  It's just the process. 

I watched a little TV and ate my corn dog (I bought 2).  I ate a little more and then took my pills.  That settled nicely. 

Torbie finally came out of hiding, she had been somewhere today, didn't even sleep with me during my nap - and I called her :(.   But she emerged, she has secret hiding places, and ate some dinner.  I got a new cat food for the cats and they really like it, one of those Fancy Feast "blue can" creations.  Tuna something.  Florentine, I think.  Baby Girl and Biscuit went crazy for it to start, then Torbie ate some later. 

I gave them the can for lunch, normally I don't feed lunch but I was curious to try the new food.  Then I gave them some dry for dinner.  Everyone likes dry. 

I only really had one problem today, aside from the dog.  Biscuit stood in my bedroom's doorway, glaring at Torbie, face off.  I called Torbie to me but she wouldn't pass him.  He was not aggressive, just trying to be the boss (Torbie is the lowest ranked on our cat social structure).  I called her again, got up, pushed Biscuit out of the way, and made a production out of petting her. 

Don't make it a popularity contest, Biscuit, or you may lose!   I never pick the cats up because they all hate it, in exchange now and then they will get on top of me, either when I am in bed, or in a chair.  Baby Girl likes to lie on Ron's leg and Torbie will occasionally lay on Ron's chest. 

We have a pretty good thing.  And they have good litter boxes too.  I took the garbage out when I got home so I wouldn't have to deal with it later, and I'm glad I did.  It is drizzling and cold enough I wore my "good" coat when I checked the mail.  Biscuit is eating dry food, with his front legs in the bowl. 

That's a cat who likes to eat, Biscuit. 

2 comments:

Spankadoo said...

I called a friend and am going to the local community center for some “me” time! I have a sewing machine and have no idea how to use it and I just saw they have sewing classes, a pool and a beautiful gym and drop in is only $5 but they also have free passes and discounts ect . Do you have anything like that near you in Houston? No one can tell you what you need Heather honestly I of all people know that better than most . But I can tell you that isolation with an abusive human being is toxic on many levels especially emotional .

I agree when I walk in neighborhoods I am always on alert for rogue dogs . I am living downtown where we have extremely strict leash laws and thankfully after living here a year and a half I realized there is no “stress barking” I know you know what I am talking about . That is the worse I think your barkasauras (was that your nickname for him back in the day) was a stress barker right? It is so tragic for the dog and the people who have to listen to it hour after hour. I lived in a beautiful house in the burbs and the barking and loose dogs “my dog doesn’t bite” bullshit I am a dog lover have had dogs and any dog can bite .

What kind of taser did you buy? I have been meaning to ask ? I carry pepper spray when I go walking and have a personal alarm on my jacket , but thought maybe a shocky stick or something would be better. For me it is methheads vs stray dogs

Heather Knits said...

I called her the Barkappotamous but Barkasaurus works well.

She was a stress barker, extremely neglected. Concluded, in her own way, if she barked long enough someone would pay her attention. I was glad she was rehomed. She needed a couple of acres and about half a dozen kids to run around with.