Monday, February 4, 2019

We killed another van

I woke up with a headache, took something.  I wasn't sleeping after all that caffeine so I stayed up for a little bit, then went back to bed. 

I finally felt better, and able to sleep, right about the time the alarm went off.  I reset it and got a little more sleep but I was exhausted. 

I got up and took a short shower.  I got dressed, and got Ron dressed "No, you can't wear that, do you need help?  OK". 

Our ride arrived and we left for work.  We had a straight trip.  We went to work and did work things.  Ron's side didn't need much, but mine did.  I got all my work done. 

I got the delivery, met the repairman, etc.  I had headache pills in my shirt pocket but didn't need them until later. 

Finally finished, put everything away, took Ron outside.  It was 70 and overcast, humid.  A big van picked us up. 

Last time we went to the doctor a big van picked us up, and got a nail in the tire on the way.  She had to "down" it when she dropped us off. 

We were going down a busy street when all of a sudden I heard a BANG and the engine began making labored noises.  He kept driving, as we weren't far.  I heard another bang, this one under my feet, somewhere along the drive train, I assume.  The "check engine" light began to flicker on and off.  He kept driving. 

I couldn't help but think what a circus it would be if the van died in the turn lane, how would we get Ron off?  I prayed for the vehicle to hold on until we got to our destination.  The engine made very labored, chugging, noises and variable RPM's.  I was pretty worried. 

BUT we made it.  And got Ron unloaded.  We were early, too. 

We went inside.  Ron begged for a specimen cup as he really had a very full bladder.  They happily handed one over and he made his contribution.  Then they took the co pay and put us in a room. 

The other day, at work, I took some money out of the bill changer.  The intent was to sort it and give it back to Ron, but I forgot.  I told him about it today and he told me to keep it.  I double and triple checked on that one, but he was certain: he wanted me to keep it.  Now I had more money than I thought (it was less than $100, but more than $20). 

I admire Ron's generosity, he is not just "nice" to other people, but me too on occasion.  That was a nice surprise. 

Doc came in and saw us.  He had some questions about the vending business.  Not interested in it (with his specialty he makes more in a year than I will probably make in a lifetime), but just curious how we pay the bills. 

I did not tell him that Ron is often "bad" and attempts heavy lifting, but I am doing that more and more for him.  One reason I am so careful to take good care of myself, if I'm out of order so is the business, and Ron too for that matter. 

He sent the prescription and we left.  We would have to wait about an hour on our ride, during the office's lunch time.  I am not crazy about that. 

I asked Ron to call and ask if we would get a penalty if we took a cab home, on our own.  After all, they had said this morning they were having a lot of trouble getting people rides.  They were thrilled to agree, no penalty. 

So Ron called Arturo.  He was there in 15 minutes. 

When we left, the paratransit driver and good old van 1088 were still off to the side, idling, waiting on 'safety".  We called in a compliment on that driver, by the way. 

We got home in another 15 minutes.  I was pretty tired, having gotten up at 1 AM, so I laid down.  I had a pretty uneventful nap, except for the headache, and the fight. 

The black cat must have come by when Baby Girl was out in the cat cage.  Somehow she beat it up, through the wire.  The holes are about 2x3 inches so plenty of room for a paw.  She must have swiped him, because the next thing I know the black cat is running across the yard screaming for Mommy, and Baby Girl came in VERY smug and satisfied. 

That's why I vaccinate them for FLV.  They "probably" won't have blood/saliva contact with strange cats but this way it "don't" matter if they do.  I would rather spend the money and be sure they are protected. 

And, if I'm going to have cats, I had better give them 100%!  I feel very strongly about that.  Last year Ron was shocked I had saved up $400 for their exams and shots, but they're worth it.  He paid me some of that back, but I wasn't looking for it because they are my cats in pretty much every sense of the word.  Baby Girl is "Ron's" because she has bonded to him, but they are all "mine" as well. 

I got up.  Headache was pretty bad so I took some Excedrin. 

I plan to do some research into intermittent fasting.  I think I might be able to make it work with my medication. 

I also want to get a Walmart grocery delivery tomorrow morning, so I will look into that. 

That's it for now.  I have NO clue about dinner.  The lentils aren't thawed and I'm not really feeling the excitement.  Ron gave me cash so I can get something delivered if I want, now. 

We'll see. 

2 comments:

Spankadoo said...

I made a huge pot of lentils today you had gotten me so hungry for them! I had to give half ot a coworker because no way can I eat a pot of lentils like that I still can freeze enough to have several bowls! I found these containers I really like made by Dixie they are paper with a plastic lid and hold 2 cups so they are perfect to freeze food and no clean up . I would love to buy containers but I can not see myself washing them so these are great for me.

Heather Knits said...

Sounds like a great container. I will have to look for them!

I have zero energy even when manic so something like that would really help, but I do have a pretty small freezer.