Wednesday, February 20, 2019

No room to cook around Ron

I always go to what happened when I was 12, when I go to the dentist.  I was taken to the dentist, put in the chair, and four extractions done once they had shot me full of pain killer.  It was a truly awful experience to feel tooth roots breaking in my head.  Just an awful crunch. 

I was alone in the room, with the dentist and his helper.  It was an awful experience I tend to relive when I get in that chair and they turn the light on. 

You can say a lot about Ron.  I won't say it all, but if you are a regular reader you know.  But I am glad he took me to the dentist today. 

I slept OK considering.  My tooth was actually yelling at me a little last night, just a little prompt to get my butt to the dentist before it became a root canal.  Up to that point, it hadn't been bothering me.  I had a pretty jagged hole in the side of the tooth, but, last time I went, they said it was only a 2 sided filling. 

I got up, took my shower, got us ready.  Ron did not soak himself like he did last time, so I didn't have to worry about him falling out of the wheelchair or being totally inappropriate.  That was a relief. 

Last time, I won't lie, was a little difficult for me.  The dentist is great and it wasn't him at all, it's just the experience, the helplessness, hands in my mouth, the light shining, etc.  And the drill.  Who can forget the drill? 

Our ride arrived on time.  We had to pay with tickets because we were going out of the main service area.  There was another client in the front seat.  She was very excited to be going back to the senior adult day program. 

Which I have mixed opinions.  On the one hand, there is a lot of backbiting and gossip that I have seen, just in the maybe dozen times we have picked up/dropped people going there.  On the other, it is always good for people to get out, as you all are constantly telling me. 

It's not a place that would suit Ron, he would need more of an adult day care if it came to that. 

One last thing that bothers me about this facility, it is not safely near any sort of public transit.  There is no way to get there, safely, on the bus.  They pretty much HAVE to use the paratransit service. 

Once we got her dropped, it was a straight trip to the dentist.  We got there about an hour early.  Better than late. 

They had me fill out another medical form, I noticed on the last one they had "bipolar" and my medications highlighted.  Just in case Doc forgot.  You can tell a lot about me by my medication:
Depression
Manias
"mixed" episodes up and down at the same time
Hallucinate/delusions

I checked "psychiatric conditions" and marked that I had been hospitalized for depression.  Ron was in good spirits, hanging out with me.  The office staff liked the candy I brought. 

I try to bring medical peeps a treat. 

They called us back and I took Ron, we went into room 5.  I stuck Ron in a corner and got in the chair.  Doc came after a little bit.  They had already got an x ray last time so he went straight to numbing me, after taking a good look around.  I was worried the scar tissue in my mouth would make it hard for him but it didn't. 

He gave me the shot.  Some if it, interestingly enough, went in the scar tissue.  We all talked for a while, the dentist, assistant, Ron was playing music on his talking book machine, and me.  After a while he picked up the drill and put me back. 

Here's the part I don't like, flat on my back with that drill in my mouth.  But he numbed me up 'good" and I just felt pressure. 

It went the way a filling goes, some drilling, some picking with a tool, some water to rinse , more drilling, suction, etc. 

It didn't take too long.  I really admired the way he asked the assistant for help, she did something and he said "I haven't told you this, but I really appreciate it when you do it that way, that is excellent".  That is VERY good management. 

So many times a boss, even Ron, just yells at you when you do it wrong.  Which is one of the many reasons I like this dentist, he is a good man. 

Pretty soon, all done, and they are cranking me up in the chair, taking the gloves off, etc.  He goes to the chart to make notes and asks me how #18 is doing (he did that last month).  I told him it's good, and I am careful with it.  I am. 

He said good and we went up front to pay.  And the bill!  Less than $100 with the discount plan!  Whew.  I had brought a little more than that, glad we didn't need it.  Then we waited on Arturo.  I had talked to Arturo yesterday about the dentist today so he was expecting the call.  He came pretty quick and took me to the donut shop. 

I wanted a fritter, but they didn't have them again.  I had to "settle" for Bavarian Cream which is very good.  I only took a few minutes, then we went home. 

We got home.  Ron went in the kitchen to drink.  He stayed there for over 3 hours.  I went and laid down for a nap.  I did have a problem, as Torbie likes to lay on my chest, when I'm on my back, in bed.  She will paw at me if I stop petting her.  So I had to fulfill my function in life, petting her and telling her she's pretty, as she purred.  Eventually I wanted to lie on my side and she went willingly.  She wandered off when I rolled over.  I fell asleep for a little while. 

Ron made some noise and woke me up.  I had a cat pressed against my foot.  I looked and found Biscuit.  He's a good boy.  I hung out with him for a while as Ron made rambunctious noises in the kitchen.  I finally got up.  I left Ron alone and got on the computer. 

After a while Ron went to bed.  He is asleep now.  Let's see if he made his trips for tomorrow: scheduling in progress.  BUT he was apparently tipsy because he made a trip to one restaurant instead of the other.  I like both, so I'm fine with that, but he will be a little upset when he sees that. 

Now that I have my kitchen back (no room to cook around Ron in the kitchen), I plan to make the sloppy joes I got last week and have that for dinner.  So far all I had since I could eat, has been some donuts.  I need some real food and protein. 

It won't take long to cook the food.  I have the meat, sauce, cheese, and buns.  We can eat that up in a couple of days.  If we like it, it's on my favorite list for delivery, and I can get more.  I am seeking out simple foods that are easy to cook.  I also have some delicious oranges waiting to be eaten in the fridge, but I think I won't be able to get all the bananas by the time they 'turn".  That's OK, they are cheap and I ate plenty. 

I will post again after I eat dinner. 

No comments: