Thursday, February 21, 2019

"Either you can do it, or you can't"

I slept OK but realized I had forgotten to set my alarm.  After programming it, I need to flip a switch, which I apparently didn't do.  My bladder woke me up and I 'just happened" to check the time.

No time for a shower!  I brushed my teeth (don't want another filling). put on a nice layer of deodorant, brushed my hair, and got dressed.  Of course I fed Biscuit in there.

Ron didn't need much help dressing today, I just had to take away the old shirt and give him a new one.

We went to Sam's Club.  They left us there an hour and a half for a fifteen minute errand.  I bought some hot dogs for later, when I could eat.  We had an OK time waiting.

Finally, a ride to work.  Work started the way it always does, me helping Ron to stock the drinks.  Then he stopped and told me to go do snacks.  I told him it would be harder doing it with only the small cart, but he insisted.  He was using the big cart to do bottled sodas.

He was becoming petulant, petty, and demanding.  He asked me for help at one point, I told him it would be a minute (my arms were full) and he became very upset.  This is why I didn't want to do snacks yet, he needs a lot of help, but I'd have to keep stopping snacks and leaving the machines open.  He blew up at me at one point.

He demanded I go help him do the Cokes.  OK.  He says it hurts his chest to pull the sodas apart, off the plastic rings.  This has been an ongoing complaint "It's too hard, and I hurt later".  I told him I would do it, even though he just needs to exercise and build up his pectoral muscles so he can do it without pain.  Many times, when I go to help him, he starts pulling the drinks apart.  Then I tell him to stop, because what's the point of me helping if he's just going to hurt himself anyway?   "Either you can do it, or you can't" I tell him.

I snapped at him at one point and told him he needed to do physical therapy.  He actually agreed, in the heat of the moment, to do it, which means one more thing on my caregiver list.  I will have to find the supplies to do that when he wakes up.

I did all that and he "gave" me the cart, made a big production out of surrendering it "So you can do snacks".  I told him I had already done most of snacks and all my supplies were on the small cart.  He got angry at me.

That's about when I did the mobile blog.

It got better but we did it all.  We left a little early for our pickup because the TV's were loud and driving us nuts.  We sat up front and waited.  It was drizzling out (it did, all day) and the driver was pretty significantly late.

She had another client and we dropped her off, then went home.  I got Ron in the house and the garbage can in the garage.

I took a nap, Ron was pretty quiet, but I woke up with a headache.  I didn't take anything and it eventually faded off.

Still not really hungry, when I am I will have some sloppy joes and a salad.  I don't know what Ron wants for dinner, he was working on some leftovers earlier.

Biscuit let me know it is almost his dinner time (6 PM) so I will feed him then.  And there he is.  He's being a good boy so I may feed him early.

I did that.  Baby Girl showed up and acted pitiful, too, so I made sure she got some of the gravy.  I also found Ron's physical therapy workbook (for what we paid for his rehab, I am glad we got the book at least), and a stretchy band so he can start doing exercises.  Since his chest muscle seems so weak, I think I will start by having him do it with just bodyweight and work up to the band.

But, I have it all lined up when he is ready.  I also found my Walk Away the Pounds DVD's.  I have a couple.

I can hear Baby Girl "burying" her dinner.  I've never seen that in another cat but she loves to hide her food when she's done eating.

Off to do some research into bitter melon tea and blood sugar.

Edit: dinner, checked with Ron, who was awake and reading.  He wasn't hungry.  I made a big salad with ranch (the Walmart version is quite good), some sloppy joes in a bowl, and a nice cold blood orange for dessert. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don’t you think he should do physical therapy under the supervision of a doctor, being that he is having so many physical issues? You’ve described him to have issues getting around and he can hardly get in and out of a car. He could hurt himself. You guys aren’t doctors and need to stop self treating.

Maybe take scissors to the plastic on the cans and cut them all real quick before he loads the cans so he doesn’t have to tear them off the plastic rings? I assume it’s the thin plastic that can be cut.

BETTER YET why doesn’t he just stay home or sit in the corner!

Ps go get a primary care doc for yourself

Anonymous said...

Ron is probably weak because he doesn't eat his protein

Heather Knits said...

Rehab hospital said Ron could definitely do these exercises without "professional" help.

I don't mind taking the bottles off the plastic if he is really incapable, but he has done this for years so I think it is just a strength issue.

I won't have him to squats or anything, just some light bodyweight and stretchy band exercises to keep what he does have. Because, as you mentioned, he is having increasing trouble getting in and out of a car.

And YES to the protein comment: if you don't eat enough, your body attacks the muscle tissue and breaks it down. I know for a fact he is not getting enough protein. Yesterday, for instance, all day he had a couple of bags of chips and some chicken strips. That was it. Whole day. And vodka. I offered to make him a salad, I offered to fix him real food, he said no. Not much I can do to that.

Maybe get him mixing his vodka with an Ensure?

Heather Knits said...

Edit to add, it would be a very bad idea for Ron to stay home. Generally speaking, his worst blackouts are on days when he's at home, bored, drinking.