Thursday, February 28, 2019

They shaved him

Poor Biscuit, they shaved his privates. 

So, today.  I didn't sleep well, worried about Biscuit all alone in his kennel (he was the only cat in the cat section of the hospital today), sick and scared.  I woke up and he wasn't there, begging.  Ron commented about it. 

I took a shower and got dressed.  It was cold, in the 40's, overcast and raining.  And all my coats were in the dryer.  Well, not my "big" coat, which it turns out I should have worn, but my intermediate jackets (2 of them).  I did have a pink sherpa vest I decided to wear. 

It kept me from misery but I really needed my big coat.  Next time I will wear it, and encourage Ron to bring his. 

We went to work and worked.  We told everyone about poor Biscuit, they were very nice and said they hoped he felt better. 

I was really worried about him so I called around 11, heard they had "just" taken out his catheter and wanted to keep him a few additional hours, after 3 would be good.  Ron and I had planned on picking him up after work, and the bank, but Ron was hurting anyway so it would work to go home. 

We took the money out of the machines and counted it, then, after stocking, went to the bank.  It was pretty packed, end of the month.  It was also pretty late, after 1.  We had a bit of a wait. 

We had enough to pay me, buy inventory, and a little for Ron.  We took Biscuit's bill out of savings.  That, in my opinion, is why you have savings, so you can take care of medical emergencies.  And this was Biscuit.

Arturo picked us up and ran us through a drive through, then took us home.  He said he would be happy to come back at 4:30 (I called the vet again and asked if that would work) to help liberate Biscuit. 

We went home, I took off the fleece vest to discover it had shed all over my shirt.  It was really bad.  I am going to toss the vest.  I am amazed all this fuzz didn't come off in the wash and destroy my washer.  I ate my food and took a very large handful of pills, AM and PM combined (OK to do).  I laid down for a little bit with Torbie, petting her.  She was very demanding.  Then she went in her igloo about the time my alarm went off. 

I got up, changed my shirt, got ready.  I brought a large tote bag because I knew I would be porting medication, prescription diet food, and paperwork in one hand and then holding Biscuit with the other. 

Arturo was a little late.  Normally I wouldn't care but I did call him.  I wanted my baby!  I was nice about it, though. 

He showed quickly and we headed to the vet.  The whole staff gathered when I pulled up.  I felt like I was in trouble!  But the vet was smiling so I knew it was OK. 

They took me in and told me they had given Biscuit his medication for the day.  Gave me his 2 medications along with instructions.  Then they took me back. 

Poor, pitiful, Biscuit was hiding under a towel in his cage, much as I'd imagined him.  It was a big cage, though.  He took one look at me and started hollering.  They told me he had been very quiet all day, very submissive to exams and petting, but clearly Mom was here and things were going to change.  They put the open carrier in front of him and he bolted inside, then turned around and tried to get out again.  He was shaking the carrier back and forth and yelling. 

I kept reassuring him.  He was OK once I stuck a finger through the mesh on the door, and smelled it.  Yes, it really was Mom. 

They told me they had given him the prescription diet, but he hadn't touched it.  They had some advice on how to doctor it so he'd eat it.  I was given the vet's cell phone number. 

Time to go.  The tech really had fallen for Biscuit.  She kept petting him yesterday and said she had been petting him all day today.  Biscuit loves petting, and more than once, purred for her.  She carried him out and put him in the cab. 

The nice thing about the vet and her staff: they GET that I am disabled and have transportation issues.  So we headed off, Biscuit howling.  He did settle down again when I talked to him.  It's a short ride so we got home.  I took Biscuit out and was halfway up the driveway when I realized the weird guy down the street was bothering Arturo.  But, like Ron said, Arturo can handle himself. 

I went in the house (LOCKED IT, I don't trust that guy) and put Biscuit on the floor.  The carrier began agitating back and forth like an unbalanced washing machine.  Biscuit wanted OUT. 

I let him out, he got on the table.  He was hungry, that's where I feed him.  What the hell, let's feed him the new stuff and see if he will eat it. 

I put one of his plates down, and a scoop (Doc gave me a scoop and says 2 a day) on the plate.  Something told me to wait before I added anything.  I waited.  Biscuit dove in and began gobbling fiercely.  He hadn't eaten at all, at the vet, didn't want to.  He devoured half a day's food in just  a couple of minutes. 

The vet had been worried about Biscuit eating, so I called the vet (I have been identifying myself as "Biscuit's Mom", and told them the good news.  They were thrilled.  Biscuit has shown so much interest in the bag of food, trying to knock it over, that I got one of my lidded 5 gallon buckets and put it in there.  It looks like he will definitely eat this, long term. 

And I really want to get him completely off all the old stuff that made him sick, and onto good stuff formulated to keep him well.  That's just basic intelligence.  If for no other reason than to save the bill.  Biscuit's hospitalization cost more than a mortgage payment, but less than a crown. 

Ron, by the way, was totally supportive of me, and getting the money out of savings for Biscuit.  He loves Biscuit too and would never want him to suffer. 

Biscuit did normal Biscuit things, lying on the floor a lot, wanting to go in the garage, etc.  I turned on the heated mattress pad so it's there if he wants it.  I cleaned the litter boxes again so they are all fresh.  I changed the water.  I have done everything I can do tonight. 

Ron has been hanging out with Baby Girl, glad, I'm sure, it wasn't her who got sick.  He is very bonded to her and that would have been hell for him. 

A while ago, I noticed they had shaved Biscuit's privates.  Poor baby. 

I have been feeding the girls in the laundry room.  I think that will work for us all. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Biscuit is back home. Here's to the little guy taking his medication and getting better.