Thursday, June 13, 2024

"You have to be nice to us!"

 I got on my first bus home yesterday and sat in the second set of forward facing seats on the driver's side.  There was a woman facing forward in front of me, talking to a lady sitting in the sideways facing seats.  I will call the sideways lady jumpsuit as she was wearing a skintight one.  

Jumpsuit was very animated, talking about how she ended up on probation for threatening her birth mother with a knife.  The conversation unfolded, the birth mother lost custody when Jumpsuit was a baby and Jumpsuit tracked her down as a teenager.  The mother was an alcoholic and homeless so Jumpsuit invited her to live together.  

She established a few ground rules including no property damage, no visitors, and no drinking.  The final straw Jumpsuit came home one day Mom was partying with her homeless friends.  Holes had been punched in the drywall.  Jumpsuit and her Mom got into a heated argument and Mom pulled a knife.  "So I pulled a bigger knife"

She went on to say she was done "saving" her mother.  An older white lady, obviously a homeless alcoholic, took exception to that "You can't give up on your mother!"

Jumpsuit began a litany of abuses, broken promises, etc "I tried to help her for 15 years. I'm done.  She wouldn't follow the rules!"

"Rules are mean!". The old lady replied.  "Addicts are SICK.  You have to be nice to us!". I wanted to vomit.

Jumpsuit's reply to that, while very appropriate, would get me in trouble if I repeated it.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even GOD himself has a limit.