Saturday, June 15, 2024

A little more about yesterday

 I take ENOUGH medication already with my mood disorder. Four prescriptions. But I was getting intractable migraines so I went to see a primary.

I had never seen her before and the forms they have you fill out don't cover a lot of personal data on my day to day life. Like the fact I ride the bus and spend hours outside every day in our Houston summers.

I knew for a fact my other medication affects my heat tolerance but I need that stuff to stay alive and functional,

The primary said my blood pressure was high (140/90) and if she put me on propranolol it would help with both the blood pressure issue and "preventing headaches" which was a huge selling point for me.

Thanks to HIPPA laws I can get my medication at the work pharmacy. 

I did some reading on it and it looked very hopeful. They didn't have any warnings I was concerned about. So I went to the pharmacy, paid my $4, and they did a consult because it's a new drug.

My only real question for doc was "Will it interact?" "The computer didn't flag it" "Could you double check, I take a lot of stuff" He looked, said it was fine. I also put it into drugs.com and it came back OK.

It worked pretty well preventing the migraines for about a week but then headaches came back, not migraines. I was not happy about that.

I work 4 days and one night a week. The night I work I ride the bus during the day between 10-12 basically standing outside at an unshaded bus stop for most of it. Yesterday it was a feels like temperature of 104. One bus was late so I missed a connection, half an hour out in the sun. There was an accident going the next way so that bus was about 45 minutes late.

I had 16 ounces of Gatorade before I left the house. I had a quart of "Arnold Palmer" (Iced tea with lemonade) in my bottle. And I got so, so, sick at the bus stop I almost had to call 911.

Praise God the bus came when it did. You can say a lot about the Houston Metro bus system but all the buses have excellent air conditioning. It's a long ride to work (about an hour and a half) so I had plenty of time to cool down. I drank 2 quarts of Gatorade (nice to work at a Walmart) when I got to work and knew I was OK when I started urinating again a couple hours later.

BUT I HATE THIS STUFF. I can't do this every week for months....

UGH.

I was able to work last night and do all the essential functions of my job but it wasn't fun.  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been advised by many to find a job closer to home ir a Wal-Mart closer to home but you refuse because of your misguided evangelism goals. Even though it has been noted you pretty much give tracts and candy to the same drivers daily. So please dont complain when you have brought this on yourself.

You were also advised not to go on blood pressure medication but you did it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Heather ... one more reason to consider a new job/location transfer ..This heat is impacting your health. Thankfully the busses have A/C, seeing the lenth of your commute, but reqllyn4 hrs per day. You are not in the same situation you were when you applied for that job, what 3 years ago.

Could you take an umbrella as a sun parasol?

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Use an umbrella for shade. Get a small spray bottle and fill with water to cool yourself. You make everything so complicated instead of taking simple steps to remedy little problems.

Heather Knits said...

I am bringing an umbrella and it helps.

Fridays I'm out in the heat going to work. I plan to wear shorts to work and then change into long pants at work. The other 4 days I leave in the morning when it's still dark and I only wait in the sun about 15 minutes going home.

I have a serious family history of high blood pressure and heart attacks. My birthmother, who weighed 130 pounds at autopsy and my height - was found dead of a massive heart attack in her 50's, not much older than I am now. I saw the numbers on the blood pressure meter both times she took it (about 30 minutes apart). High blood presssure led to the heart damage that caused Ron's fatal heart attack. I take blood pressure seriously.

I passionately hate this medication but I don't see an option.

Anonymous said...

Alcoholism can cause high blood pressure. So her drinking and drugging probably caused/contributed to her heart attack. It's sad because from what you said about your mom's life and childhood she never stood a chance to be have a normal addiction free life. The bad things in life break a lot more people than most realize.

Heather Knits said...

I have to say from my understanding my birth mother got addicted to prescription drugs and mixed that with the alcohol, but per my (biased source) she never used stuff like heroin.

And it's not just my mother. I can't say much but pretty much everyone in my family has a drinking problem. A few exceptions.

Anonymous said...

There are also small handheld fans, but then you would complain about replacing batteries in it. Anyway, the fan plus water spray can do wonders to cool you.

Anonymous at 10:18-maybe Heather thinks suffering in the heat to hand out tracks will help get her to heaven. Hahaha

Heather Knits said...

I'll allow that. :p

I plan to bring a lot more to drink, drink hydration stuff before I leave the house, wear shorts (and change at work), bring an umbrella. I may look into getting some sort of folding stool because I kept wishing I could sit down at that one bus stop. It is just a pole in the midst of a sea of concrete.

During one very hot Bible handout, I ran out of cold drinks before I ran out of Bibles. I did not feel well but I am very stubborn. God sent an atheist, of all things, to give me a huge icy Sprite from the McDonald's. She said "I wouldn't put a dog out in the heat. NO I DON'T WANT A BIBLE I'M AN ATHEIST!' and drove off. LOL

But I don't like to test Him the Bible says don't do that.

Anonymous said...

I like to give advice too, but I'm learning unsolicited advice is like banging my head against a wall.

Anonymous said...

It will be a LOT HOTTER in hell for the mockers.