Sunday, January 21, 2024

Well today was instructive

 Last week I knew cold weather was coming, prepared for it.  I wore 2 pair wool socks, 2 pair long underwear bottoms, long underwear top with a sweater and multiple coats, a wool hat, and an 8 foot long purple wool scarf I found at a thrift shop.  And I was basically OK although I could have used a second hat, as well.  

Last I read the weather it was going to be 50 today, so I dressed for that, sweatpants, t shirt, wool blend socks (not high percentage wool like last week), and my parka just to try it out.  I wore my wool hat because it seemed chilly when I took the plant covers off.  

And I froze to death today.  It was low 40's with a windchill so felt like 30's.  All new drivers today because virtually ALL of them got a new route today.  Two were very early and one was late.  I spent a lot of time outside shivering.  

The grocery store was appreciably warmer which let me relax a little.  I got my groceries and came home.  

I mentioned the gas station to my last driver and told her how dark it is in the morning.  If I understood correctly, she said she is the first bus coming that way in the morning on week days so I told her to look for me M-W.  She said OK and I said thank you.  

I am really glad I met her ahead of time.  

Good news about tomorrow: likely boss is off, I don't have to start until noon, and I have a ride home with Ace.  The budget is tight but I managed to make that work.  

I was really happy I wanted to spend at or less than $40 and I did that at the grocery store.  And I found a very nice beef shank.  I have half a roast chicken I picked up Friday night.  I was really tired and it made a great dinner: I just ate it Ron-style like a barbarian with my bare hands.  I ate about half of it.  I am saving the skin, bones, and gristle.  I can make veggie soup out of it.  Between that and the beef shank I will have veggie soup for days (I have plenty of veggies).  That will be two different soups, by the way.  

The grocery store has some very nice Vaseline lip balms.  It is a firm stick not a tube of salve.  I got 2 different kinds, one has a little bit of a pink tint (and a slight floral aroma) and the other is a cocoa butter formula.  They are 87 cents each at the store, a very nice stick of balm.  Let me see if I can find a link.  

These are the 2 I have

It's good stuff and worth a mention.  I've never done ads here because it would make me feel like a whore but I will give you a heads up on good products I encounter.  

I wish at times I could talk about what I actually DO at Walmart but I don't dare.  I will say I really enjoy helping customers.  Like that sweet old widow who had come out of the house for the first time in a year since her husband died.  Her, I hugged.  Go ahead and fire me for that she needed a hug, and I could tell by the way she kept reaching for me her love language was touch.  

I ask God to make me more observant about people around me and hopefully I will be, I want to catch things like that.  

That's it for now.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really have a low tolerance for cold. I wonder if it's from the medications you take or living with Ron all those years with the thermostat set to 90 degrees year round.

Anonymous said...

Did you give up going to church on Sunday?

Heather Knits said...

To the church comment, I generally wear leggings under a knee length dress. I also have to walk about 3 miles total, so anything under 50 degrees is going to be unpleasant.

I also have some issues if i want to find that one driver (he took a route that will likely pick me up after church) again and what that would mean if I did.

I can still watch sermons online in the meantime.

I have never liked anything below 50F my whole life. Dad used to call me a "Weather wimp" some of that may have been anemia in my younger years. I moved here in part because it is so warm most of the year. I just don't like it very cold.

I assume you drive, so your experience with the cold is running out to the car. Mine is walking half a mile minimum and then standing in the wind for up to half an hour waiting. That's a different proposition.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of clothes! I didn't even dress like that in Chicago winters. You sure do have some odd ways. LOL

Heather Knits said...

I was warm, except for my head. Spending significant amounts of time outside means I have to dress differently from someone who's out in it for 2 minutes and jumping in a warm car. I don't envy her, by the way, as she has a car note, insurance, gas, repairs.

Anonymous said...

How many bus rides can you get for 800.00, the amount I just paid for new tires?

Heather Knits said...

I'm tired but it depends how you pay. With a pass $1.25 gives you 3 hours unlimited rides. Pay as you go $1.25 a ride. Probably a year or so!

Like I said I don't envy drivers.