Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Overall I'm giving Metro bus a D for information services

 I did get the text message last night and the Facebook this morning: no service.  Fine.  They said they would let us know by 9 AM when/if service would come back.  They did not.  Just now (a few minutes ago) they said it would be normal service tomorrow, but another post said some buses were running all day today.  That's very confusing for me.  I mean, I screw it up I'm outside in the dark in subzero weather waiting for a bus that's not coming.  

In my opinion there should have been a clear message this morning stating which routes were running, if any, and when they expected to bring my routes back.  I have signed up for route alerts so anything on the X route I get a notification; send me one saying "this route will start at 10 AM Wednesday".  

No it was very vague.  Now I think I am a nice person and I do know I have good friends so I had rides.  And I will have a ride to work in the morning.  

I am a little sad as tomorrow is the last day I will see the one driver I talk to every day after work.  We talk enough that the other passengers shout at us to stop!  That has never happened to me.  It is all clean subjects.  Some on my faith.  I don't think I will see him again.  But you never know.  Walmart does adjust my hours now and then.  Next week for instance it is all 12-8 oh I need to talk to Ace about that tomorrow!  

When I got to work my boss stopped what she was doing, gaped at me in a very unflattering manner, and said "I didn't expect to see you today!"  I told her I got a ride, I have good friends.  "Still" she said "Well," I replied "I used to supervise people when my husband had his deli, and I know the chaos it causes when someone doesn't show up"  She agreed with me and I went on to go buy my diet Dew.  

She picked at me for a while after I clocked in, micromanaging, etc. but finally went away and bothered someone else.  I had a pretty good day but she is not good at training.  I had to keep asking questions and I still don't know how to do it.  She kept taking the handheld computer away from me and doing things.  How am I supposed to learn if you don't teach me?  I sound like "Gangsta's Paradise" 

I went to the deli on my lunch and it was closed.  Well, crap.  2 managers standing around.  They said over 50 people called out today including the entire deli staff.  McDonald's was still open so I went there.  When it was time for the grocery zone the potato chip aisle had been wiped out.  There was a guy from Frito Lay frantically stocking so I left him to it and worked on the other parts of my assignment.  

This morning I realized I had done well arranging a ride to work, in advance, but I never planned for a stoppage of bus service and I had no ride home.  Ace was able to help but I could have gotten stuck.  So I went ahead and arranged a ride to work tomorrow - it's going to be 20 degrees and 13 or so mph wind.  Not really my idea of a good time.  Yes, I did it Monday but once is enough.  

I did find it funny how many stayed home today, having cars, and I went to work on the bus Monday when we had the precipitation and the winter weather.  I shudder to think of the heating bill though.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: