Monday, January 15, 2024

Well it is colder than I expected this morning, outside

 All utilities and heater working OK thank God.  But I figured it would be about 10 degrees warmer today and it is not.  I have my hat, scarf, gloves.  Plenty of long underwear and wool socks.  When I was a kid on the frigid east coast it was layers, layers, layers and I am going with that.  

I wonder if the AC is still running at work.  Some people in the Walmart group said that it is running in other, colder, parts of the country.  Like Target, the thermostat is controlled at the national headquarters and not regionally.  

I woke up with a headache but not too bad.  I took something around 1.  I am trying to be careful, I read recently I can only take 4 doses of Excedrin a day so I am trying to make them count.  I am not sure how much I was taking before but my liver numbers were all coming back OK so I think I'm alright.  

I took my shower last night.  I like to let my hair air dry and I am NOT going out in 20 degree weather with a 15 mile an hour wind with wet hair!  Pneumonia for sure!  I will take a shower tonight before I cut the water off.  Water stays off until I get home from work Wednesday it will be significantly warmer by then.  I have this: No rinse stuff I can't say enough about it.  

Take Ron: He would not let me bathe him very often, maybe every few days.  By the time he did, he reeked of BO and alcohol.  Sometimes he had food on him because he ate in bed.  He would always be a mess.  I would put a squirt of that stuff in about a gallon of warm water and get to work with the washcloth, in a few minutes he would be sparkling fresh and clean.  He was happy, I was happy.  The water would be filthy.  It was also good for cleaning up after toilet issues, if he wet himself for instance.  If I had left him like that (I wouldn't have) wet he would have gotten rashes, reeking, etc.  But the no-rinse in some warm water and the washcloth fixed him up completely.  The ME was completely fine with Ron's appearance at autopsy.  

If it would work for him I know it will work for me after a day or so without a shower.  My problem my cycle is about due even though I don't have the bloating - the bloating is not 100% predictor of that - so I have to anticipate I COULD have a cycle about now.  It has been just about 28 days which is generally how I run.  It is not going to be much fun having a cycle without running water but I have wet wipes, I have water stored, I have the no rinse body wash and plenty of wash cloths (I made sure of the last on Friday, when I bought another 18).  

The cats are good, I put some fleece blankets on top of the sleeping bag I have on the bed.  It is surprising how much my little $10 sleeping bag keeps me warm.  

When I had the pipe break I didn't understand the movers were going to take everything.  Literally everything I owned, and put it in storage.  So they took the bedding, I barely managed to snag a pillow, they even took my stuffed toy dog (long story).  I had a few clothes but I was faced with an empty room and a pillow.  I got a $10 sleeping bag from Walmart (probably more now) and it was surprisingly warm.  I got another one and zipped them together, now we are cooking!  I was really set once I bought a camping cot and put my bed on that.  So I kept the sleeping bags.  I have 2 on my bed right now.  They are a slippery nylon so they tend to slide around a lot but I am OK.  

I think I will be OK with my bedding setup.  I have 4 regular blankets, a couple of fleece throws for the cats (go on top), and 2 sleeping bags.  I have been nice and cozy the last couple nights and should be OK if we have rolling blackouts.  

Here's another star, although it has gone up a lot since I bought it 4 years ago: Bedsure sherpa blanket my bedding got twisted last night and I only had that on me last night, I was nice and cozy under it anyway.  

I think Spotty brought something in the cat dooor.....

He was meowing a lot and scrabbling around, now he is acting furtive.  I told him reptiles are OK but no mammals.  

The heater has been running but not overly much.  

My aunt took my "good" coat to fix but I don't think it will be fixable.  I suspect I will just have to buy a new coat.  I also believe the winters are just going to be a lot colder in Houston now so I need to get a new coat after I pay the property tax.  

I'm going to do my God Time, that's it for now.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's -6 this morning where I live. Then, there's the wind chill...

Heather Knits said...

(screams, hides under blankets). Praise God our power is on this time