Monday, June 19, 2023

Today was just very strange

 So I got up got ready and left the house.  I got 2 houses down when I realized I did not have my cell phone, it was still on the charger.  So I went back for it.  After I turned it on the text message alerts went nuts and also the voicemail alert.  I looked.  

I had been scheduled for 1-5 today.  They had wanted me (at 9:50) to start at 10.  I called them and told them that was impossible as I am on the bus and it would take me 2 hours to get there.  They could, I added, send someone to pick me up if they felt it was really urgent but I did not have the $20 for a cab and had to take the bus.  

Between us I am not paying $20 to go in and work the same 4 hour shift.  I only net $12.40 an hour after taxes. It would be cheaper to stay home!  

She said she had "already changed my schedule" and I would get a penalty mark for arriving late but "she would fix it". I have heard she is NOT good about that. But it is only half a point and I get 5 before I get into trouble.  Also they drop off after 6 months and I don't have any points at present except for the one I got today.  And "late" once in over 2 years, for Walmart, is spectacular.  

So I caught the buses I was going to catch. I saw the man with the electric scooter on the second bus.  I have seen him riding some of the same buses. He is a white guy, very clean cut (extremely unusual for a cleancut white guy on any bus I ride),very good looking.  Friendly he talks to people. He kept looking at me so I smiled at him and he asked about the hat.  I explained I really did hand out Bibles and got them out, let him pick what he wanted (he went with the "Invitation")/  We got to talking,he seems very nice.  He gave me his name but I will call him Al. 

He has striking blue eyes. Now how odd is that two men I noticed this year.  Both have "A" names (Beau included, his real name), both are very nice and friendly, open to my faith (Beau wore a big cross), and gorgeous blue eyes.  Interesting. 

I got to work and my boss was at my work station trying to do my job and one step from a meltdown.  She took one look at me and fled, I didn't see her for an hour.  Good to know they appreciate what I do.  Work was OK the only notable thing she said "only work 4 hours" so I punched in at 12:17 and out at 4:17. 

It was funny. Remember all the 9-4 shifts I have been working?  I ended up catching the same old buses home today. The last bus this was a strange one. He drives by in the wrong lane with the sign saying "12 GOING HOME" (my terms) and everyone got really excited and he passed us up making strange hand gestures. 

I was pretty angry at first but then I thought if I catch a bus to the transit center I know the next one will leave there and can't pass me up.  So I did that, and the next bus got candy he would not have normally because of this.  Which also has salvation stuff and probably going to get saved out of it one day because driver #1 passed me up.  

But it gets stranger. I actually catch up with the guy at the transit center,board, and sit down.  He waited about 20 minutes then left and took me home. I don't know what that was about but I'm glad I did that. I think from now on I will just ride to the transit center.  

It was pretty miserable walking home but it was only about 10 minutes. I was very pained the dog next door was out when I left and out when I came home. I sweet talked her as I walked by, I felt so bad for the poor mutt out in the heat all day.  

The heat index, at one point on my ride home, was 121!  

That's it for now. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you get penalized because they changed your schedule without your permission? I would raise hell if they dared to give me an infraction for doing that.

Anonymous said...

Just want to make sure I follow - they changed the schedule without telling you, then gave you a demerit for not showing up at the revised time? And they know you have a long commute right? I would be LIVID.

Heather Knits said...

Yes. And they wonder why good people leave.

Me, I'm the type to find this "funny" but it is really awful. I guess she thought I knew it was her (she wouldn't give me her number when I asked) and was sending it to voicemail so she was going to "show me" and schedule me anyway. But the primary boss tried that one day, called me early, I was still on the bus and she never did it again.

And my phone is OFF once I decide to go to bed until I am ready to leave in the morning. I have always operated that way.

Last thought they do the schedule 3 weeks in advance so she had TWENTY ONE days to realize they would have a gap and adjust it.