Sunday, April 25, 2021

So I am scared to share this

 As you know I have been planning for "worst case" losing the house and having to move to an apartment.  Even a dump costs $600-700 a month in Houston which is quite discouraging.  Plus anxiety about when I am going to get a job... not a fun place to be.  

So I was talking to someone last night, a family member, about a possible home for Spotty and they stopped me and said "We (they are married) have discussed this and we will pay off your house if insurance won't"  Wow.  I am still processing that.  "So you don't have to move".  

I still don't believe it.  If this happens what a huge load off my back!  

I will feel so much better when I get a job, though.  Even with a paid off house I will have taxes and insurance to pay.  I also plan to put at least $200 into savings every month for home repairs.  It is easy to neglect that and then, BAM new roof!  I don't think I need to worry about the plumbing for 30 years or so but the roof has been around for a while.  I would also like to get rid of the mulberry tree in my back yard.  

A neighbor volunteered to clean out my yard when the tree was much smaller and I asked him to take it with the other weed trees (yes, a thing in Houston).  He said "No it is a fruit tree, it is a good tree".   The birds eat all of the fruit I don't get any of it.  Why would I want that thing next to my house?  I wouldn't.... so save up to get rid of that thing (my yard guy can do it but I want to pay him for this job).  Also save up because I have a $2K deductible on insurance.  

SO a lot to do yet.  Tomorrow I go downtown and fix my bus pass.  The plan is to put another $30 on it so I have a $60 total, that is 100 rides for me (more actually they give some free rides per every 10 or so).  

I was cleaning out my bookmarks and found Old Navy had cloth masks on sale, I could get 5 gray and 5 navy, for $8 plus shipping.  Sounded good so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  Used the credit card even which I will pay off shortly.  The navy will be particularly good for work and interviews as navy is a color that says "I'm here to work".  And I liked gray a lot even before Ron died.  I am wearing yesterday's gray tshirt in fact.  

Well, more than the t shirt.  😂

I had some bad experiences with masks that didn't work last year.  I think I have a normal face but everything was too tight?  I am a little beefy but not that much.  Anyway Old Navy had good reviews and I can take a chance on their masks.  

I bought one from a specialty company in CA last year and it was great, I got another and it was way too tight.  I bought another (they had sizes so I kept going up) and it was too tight.  That was a lot of money wasted at a time when money was very tight.  

So a $4 pack of masks sounds pretty good.  If they work out I have 10 nice ones.  I don't think I have 10 right now (aside from some disposables I got for Ron as he preferred them).  I will be keeping the disposables I just had a hard time the one day seeing his.  His eyes would leak little "tears" onto the mask and I saw it and almost lost it.  

And I gave him such a hard time right before he died, a night or two before he took out his left eye and was cleaning it with a wet wipe.  I walked past and saw the eye sitting on his face and screamed.  I said "I will (perform personal care task) all day long but I won't deal with eyes!"  He laughed and teased me about it.  I am glad he felt comfortable enough to do that.  

Once or twice his eye fell out, I had to help him find it, pick it up, etc.  He had gotten a new set of eyes made back in 1999 he was about 230 then.  I think the eyes got "loose" as he lost the weight.  I had been talking to him about getting a new set made (Medicare pays for that sort of thing).  The crematory got rid of his eyes I sure didn't want them.  

So I am happy I got the masks.  I can use them.  I don't exactly want to use the brightly printed masks right now in my grief.  I am not going around in black but not ready for bright colors (it will come).  

I am working very hard to be a good steward and I absolutely need masks.  so I feel good about that.  

So, good news about the house.  That is a big load off.  

No comments: