Monday, April 5, 2021

Closing doors and new beginnings

 I only woke up once last night.  I think the key is taking off the chain with Ron's ring when I sleep.  I got up and did my God Time, then got to work on the Sales Tax.  

I had to have Ron's state account number to close the account and I had given that to my aunt, I got it back yesterday.  So I did that it wasn't hard.  They had an "explanation" part so I wrote he had died.  

Then I spent an hour or two chasing down references.  Ron's former boss is on Facebook but did not respond to my message.  I tried calling him but that was his state phone and another consultant answered.  She had heard what happened and commiserated with me.  She was very nice, but doesn't know me so I didn't ask for a reference.  Ron's other boss has given me permission to use her.  Then I had Mike from work, he was happy to do it.  We chatted for a while.  My aunt suggested I could use her so I got her info.  Then I contacted someone else I felt very led to ask..haven't gotten a call back but I have 3 in a pinch.  

Then I looked at my resumes.  First thing I applied at the bus company.  I found it novel I could upload a resume and their computer could scan it and fill in the blanks on a job application for me.  Tech wasn't that advanced the last time I sought a job.  It was all about sending 10,000 faxes every night and hoping an HR person would "bite".  Then I applied at Indeed as suggested by my secret pal.  That was also comprehensive and I got all the data online, marked all my skills.  It kept wanting me to say I could do general ledger entries but it has been over 20 years and I don't feel right claiming that.  Ron had a very basic system without a ledger.  It had me take a customer service survey and I got "highly rated" which they said they would put in my profile.  So I have cast my net.  I will do some more tomorrow but I was pretty exhausted emotionally from having to axe the business.  

Indeed wanted to know if I was working and I said not right now, so they put me as immediately available.  So that's done.  

Tomorrow I will do more.  Eventually I will start getting calls and then I can start interviewing.  And a job will follow eventually.  

This is one thing I could have used some expert help: how much do I ask for?  I was CLUELESS.  I probably low balled it but I would rather do that than price myself out of the market.  My last reference came through.  Good.  

She homeschools and is job hunting herself but she is nice and knows me well.  Best of all she has known me for a long while.  

I cleaned up the couch and put a nice towel on it, Torbie got on and is posing.  I got a nice photo of her.  


I have very few photos where you can see the orange.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: