Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Busy day

 I put a Bible in my bed, slept better (no nightmares but I did wake up at 3).  It can stay.  

Got up, got ready.  Dad was right on time and we went looking for a Starbucks.  Couldn't find one so we went to DPS (Driver's license bureau).  I had my printout with a barcode on it.  I was screened and then walked in, they sent me to a kiosk to scan my barcode.  That took a little effort but I finally got the thing going.  It gave me a ticket.  I found Dad and we waited.  

I had every official document you can name, in my backpack.  When we got to the window they wanted my current ID, social security card, birth certificate and they also took the marriage license.  Happily they don't take that when you lose your spouse.  

There was nothing on the forms to indicate I was a widow they didn't care.  That's all they wanted.  It took about 5 minutes.  He was very nice, his supervisor more brusque but not mean.  They couldn't accept any candy even though I could tell he wanted it.  Cameras everywhere.  He said they are really unhappy with the vending company so I later called Connie at work and told her Brad, her son, may be interested in that as a location.  She sounded interested, she also told me "my" machines are having terrible sales which is what I've been saying for months.  

I paid my $16 (price has gone up!) and left with my temporary ID card.  We found Dad a Starbucks.  

A note about Dad, he has a very unfortunate, deep, cough from allergies (this is after many doctor visits).  It is just awful sounding but he is really OK.  But he doesn't sound it.  Ron used to complain about me with "the hack" now and then with allergies and especially when I was getting over a virus, he would have had another stroke if he heard my Dad.  Dad has had a pretty rough visit for the cough but he is happy to see me and help out which is very sweet.  

So we got him some coffee, I had a soy chai it was good.  It was in a very nice hotel near Greenspoint.  Greenspoint mall is such a dump these days it is surprising they have such a nice hotel there.  I thought more than once it would be a great place for a blind vendors convention.  But I don't have to worry about those anymore.  

Good thing, the last couple conventions were hell for us even though my aunt and uncle drove us.  It was very difficult to move Ron from one place to another and tend to his needs while carrying minimal luggage.  But that is all done now.  I won't miss that.  

Although it was fun taking the train a few years ago, Ron really enjoyed that and wanted to do it again.  

So Dad and I talked a little and he said, I know I said I would take you to the Taste of Texas restaurant today but I was wondering if you would mind if we brought my sister?  I said of course not she deserves a steak anyway.  So I called her and she said of course she would love to go, and we did.  

I changed into something nicer (skirt and sweater set), Dad put on some nice slacks, and off we went.  We had a very nice waitress.  I did not know the waitress cornered my aunt outside the bathroom and my aunt told her I had just been widowed.  The waitress did seem unusually nice, though.  I gave her some candy with a tract and scripture booklet and she was quite excited.  I am glad she can take them in context that I am handing these out of a place of pain, but confidence that Ron is in heaven.  We had a nice meal and I had dessert which was very good as well.  I had a 16 ounce sirloin and ate every bit.  

He told me an anecdote about his wife, referring to her as "your mother" which confused me for a minute, but I got it.  She did raise me.  

As I said, it was a good meal.  They took me home and I ordered a webcam on Amazon as it seems a lot of companies want to do an online interview.  Saves me all that travel but first I have to get the thing going.  It comes tomorrow.  

I think Dad and my aunt are on a hunt for a printer for me.  They are very hard to find as everyone working at home seems to want a cheap printer.  Even walmart.com had nothing.  

Depressed right now but it comes and goes, it is worse when I sit idle.  I will get through it.  

I had a little bit of jewelry that was not stolen, I found a ring I bought years ago, it is a tiny garnet with a tiny sapphire on each side.  It is very dainty and cute, I like it.  It is a ring but not a wedding ring which I think is a good transition.  

I am going to watch TV or something and then go to bed early.  

No comments: