Sunday, April 14, 2019

Milk is back

I had a good workout this morning. 

I didn't sleep well last night due to the thing I can't talk about, that is not Ron related.  I slept in until about 8:30. 

Someone had said they'd take us to church but Ron called and cancelled.  I was OK with that. 

Ron was very happy lying in bed with his talking book and his cat.  I decided to do my workout. 

My foot is still bothering me so that affects what I can do.  But I put on my new sneakers (the black ones) along with my black crew socks - pretty sure that was a big fashion crime there - and my workout clothes. 

I decided to to intervals on the bike, periods of intense effort followed by a break.  In my opinion they are the best workout.  I've always liked them the best and I feel they get my cardiovascular in good shape. 

But what to do after?  I like to do cardio and then strength.  I had 3 options.  Kettlebells, powerlifting, or isolation movements (working one group of muscles at a time).  I decided on a combination of the first and the last. 

I did the bike, good workout.  Then I did kettlebells.  They are also a good cardio workout if you do them fast enough.  That was more "maximum heart rate" though.  I did them, then I went out in the garage. 

On my last kettlebell workout, I felt I worked everything but I was lacking in the quads (thigh muscles on the front of the leg) department, so I added some isolation exercises just for quads.  That took literally one minute per my tracker. 

Then I'm done.  I am drinking a big glass of milk and taking my pills.  Then I will take a shower, shave my legs, etc. 

I am also debating whether I should add some salad mix to my Walmart order, and a gallon of milk.  I like to drink a lot of milk now. 

Back in 2004, before the blog, the day I bought the house, I ate scrambled eggs at a well-known breakfast chain.  Ron did not, thank God.  We signed all the paperwork and went home to change so we could go out. 

And I got sick, and stayed sick for a very long time.  That's a time I should have gone to the hospital, but I was experiencing such bad symptoms I was afraid I would mess up an ambulance, or the emergency department.  Ron emptied my bucket and commode chair (see!  He can be awesome when he's not in a bottle!), brought me water and gatorade.  He was great. 

I was not so great.  I lost 15 pounds in 2 days.  For years afterward, I could not consume dairy.  I finally tried it again a few years ago and I was able to tolerate, even enjoy it. 

So, milk is back.  And I like it.  It is great, not too high carb, plenty of protein and healthy fat.  My pills like it, I can do a small snack and a glass of milk with no problem. 

So I will probably get another gallon of milk.  I don't plan to do a Walmart run for another week or so, delivery or in person. 

Ron is taking me to the Waffle House later - they did not make me sick, ever, by the way - so that will be fun.  It looks like a nice day outside so it should be pleasant. 

Biscuit is working on second breakfast, he put his head in my lap to ask for it.  I have to watch him because the other cats will steal his food if he walks away.   Yeah, he's done. 

He's a nibbler and that is problematic when I have other cats who can't, but want to, eat his food.  But I'm making it work.  I listen for the crunching.  When the crunching noises stop I get up and put it away. 

Trust me, he'd let me know if he wasn't finished! 

2 comments:

Spankadoo said...

I had plantar fasciitis on and off through out my career I ended up having two kinds of shoes that worked for me and a number of tricks to help me when it flared up .
Shoes are all about the persons foot so one persons choice is not going to be everyone’s but I have heard great things about Brooks as far as foot pain goes so I may try a pair next time .

Small frozen water bottle and 15 min a night with out fail I rolled my feet on that thing pain or not just kept refreezing it and rolling my poor bottom of my foot, that pain is no joke i feel so bad for you! Also doing your ABCs with your feet before you go to sleep at night helps a lot I would alternate ice and heat when it was really bad but that rolling on the frozen water bottle was the best treatment ever. If you can there is a therapist named Austin Goh on YouTube give him a look see he is freaking amazing and has exercise and massage for about everything you can think of. I do his knee exercises religiously I bet he deals with all kinds of foot pain . Sending huge hugs!

Heather Knits said...

Thank you! I"ll always take personal experience.

I did freeze a couple of water bottles but haven't tried it yet. I will have to do that today, although it hasn't been bad this morning.

When I get better I can see me "rolling" it even though it doesn't hurt, if I've had a long day. According to my tracker even without a formal walk I am getting about 2, 2.5 miles a day, thousands of steps, walking around. With a formal walk it goes up to about 5 miles walked total and of course even more steps. Add in fat middle aged lady pressing down on that foot and no wonder it is crying.

When I have told my daily people about this Ron is the only one who takes his feet seriously. Since he doesn't really walk it doesn't matter but he was always very picky about shoes, going for comfort.

But my adoptive mom and Chuck both told me they have really old shoes they're using and never really thought about. No! Don't do that!