Thursday, April 18, 2019

Comical and very, very sad

I had a decent nap after my last post, got up, got Ron ready, and took him to the chicken place.  I never mind taking him there because he is getting adequate protein.  It is so hard to get him to eat protein foods.  He won't eat any dairy, no eggs, very picky about meat.  But he loves fried chicken and only weighs 150 pounds. 

So fried chicken it is.  I could live off just dairy as my protein but he's different. 

Our ride was late.  It's the guy who's always late.  Always with excuses, particularly singled out, he says, by the dispatchers.  He suffers more than any other driver, he claims, and that is why his on-time performance suffers as a result. 

I see one guy can't get it, and hundreds who can.  You can guess my opinion, maybe he is not suited for this job. 

He was the same driver both ways.  We stopped and I got Ron into his wheelchair.  Ron was pretty wobbly today, and required some help.  He was happy to get it. 

By the time I got Ron into the restaurant, the driver had taken the spot by the register.  Now, like a lot of people I think you can tell a lot about someone by the way they talk to the service providers.  He was running the poor food service worker ragged, asking for "deals", complaining he didn't get free refills, etc.  Just basically being someone I was embarrassed to be affiliated with.  But that's how it goes. 

I talked to Ron while we waited.  They had removed the 3 piece for $3 special.  Normally he gets that.  The cheapest 2 piece was $6.49.  Or they had a 10 piece for $10.  Even if he didn't eat it all, I told him, it would still be a better deal.  He agreed.  When it was our turn I, with a smile, ordered the 10 piece original and a side of biscuits (for me).  Then I ordered it "for here" in Spanish.  She smiled back. 

I got Ron parked at the table and went to the gas station side and bought some soda for us.  The lady waved me over when I came back, proffering a huge bag of chicken.  I put it in front of Ron and he ate 3 pieces while we waited.  The driver ate his meal off to the side.  When we were all finished Ron and I got back in the vehicle and we came home. 

Traffic was starting to get bad.  I am SO glad I work weird hours so I can avoid most traffic. 

We came home.  I put Ron's soda, and the chicken, in the fridge.  Ron is completely addicted to "big pineapple" soda.  He has plenty now, in the fridge. 

I don't worry about him and sugar because his last A1C was 5.1.  That's better than mine, and I'm fine. 

He laid down and has stayed asleep. 

I decided to do a small workout.  I got on the floor and tried to do some ab exercises.  That was comical and very, very, sad.  I managed 10 situps then did "bridges" where I tilted my pelvis up at an angle with my knees bent.  I did 10 each. 

Then I had to get up!  Even sadder!  But I did it. 

In some ways I would say I am fit but in others I am not. 

I used Ron's physical therapy workbook and did shoulder exercises with the stretchy band.  He won't use them, but I will. 

Then I went out in the garage and did shoulders with my weights.  One one movement, I had to go heavier as the weight I had chosen was too easy.  That's always good.  And it has been my hardest muscle group to date (rear deltoids).  I think all the cart-pulling at work has improved me. 

I did that and noted it in my journal, then came back in the house.  Then, exciting housework, laundry, and cleaning the litterbox! 

An exciting meal of cottage cheese.  That's all I really felt like, and it ensured I got enough protein for the day.  I took my pills. 

I did an inventory as I will be going to Walmart tomorrow, but I didn't see much we needed.  I did just get a delivery. 

I am sure I mentioned it already, but a few weeks ago I was "shorted" in my order, a tv dinner, some protein shakes, glucose test strips, etc.  I was pretty upset because it added up to what I consider to be a lot of money. 

I found it in the garage this morning, looking for my poncho.  Oops.  I could smell the TV dinner.  That went straight in the trash.  Everything else was fine and went in the house.  The TV dinner was a Banquet, so only about $1 lost there.  I can live with that. 

But I felt so oblivious when I found it. 

My fitness tracker is very happy with me today, I did better than double the "movement" goal and did pretty well on the cardio.  I want to stay healthy, that is very important for me.  Especially as Ron needs me more physically. 

I am torn on how much to push him on being active.  I think I will ask his pain doctor - he will have a good idea of Ron's abilities from looking at the MRI and he can tell me. 

I don't want to be that sadist flogging him, not that he would let me; but I don't want him to deteriorate any more than he has to. 

Balance in everything. 

No comments: