Saturday, April 27, 2019

Most of Saturday

I slept OK last night, got up on time, got ready.  Ron was able to get himself ready. 

We went to the warehouse.  They rode us around for a while first.  One lady has internet but still going to Walmart, instead of getting delivery.  I mentioned it and she had a bunch of excuses.  The second one admitted she could ride the bus, but "didn't want to" (if you can ride the bus alone you don't get paratransit).  She also had a huge folding cart, and literally 5 huge trash bags full of crap.  It was a good thing Ron was riding in the back, she took up the entire whole back seat.  The driver asked her why she was bringing so many personal posessions to the grocery store and more excuses.  I think she had some sort of compulsive disorder.  She reminded me of the homeless people with the bulging shopping cart.  And she had a tantrum when she found out we were getting dropped first, until I told her sharply we had been riding for a while, and had an appointment time.

He couldn't count the money, I had to do it.  I did the shopping, didn't buy much.  Jack came and we went to work, we had an easy time unloading because I didn't get much. 

Then I helped Ron stock.  He could not unlock the vending machines.  He could hold a bottle of soda, but put it in the row with great difficulty.  It was heartwrenching to watch.  Very depressing and not a little scary, too.  I did what I could to help without emasculating him. 

Ron went over and above to keep his negativity pointed away from me.  He was very careful.  I appreciated it and let him know.  We got it all stocked and finished early.  We went outside.  He got hot so I put him in the shade and waited on the bench in the sun.  I always figure sunlight is good for depression and it is impossible not to be at present. 

Husband only has one good arm, suddenly loses the use of it.  Yeah, that's pretty awful.  Pretty [censored] awful. 

We waited a while but she came.  Unlike the morning, Ron felt well enough to get in the backseat.  Happily we had a straight trip home. 

He struggled to get some vodka in the house but managed on his own.  I had a protein shake and took my pills.  I should have brought the pills with me when I left the house this morning, I really need to stay on top of my antidepressants at this point. 

The cats apparently caught a sparrow in the cat cage this morning and left the head by my computer chair.  I didn't find that until a half hour ago.  That is actually a high honor for them to leave me the head.  My cats have always preferentially eaten the head, first.  It's a delicacy to them and apparently today I rated. 

Once I had my pills down, I laid down for a nap.  Torbie came running when I turned on my noisemaker.  She got on me for petting and purring.  We had a good time.  She fell trying to get on the bed from the "other" side, not the side with the step I made.  Then she went around and used the step.  Needless to say I will put a step on each side.  She eventually left and Biscuit showed up. 

He's not much for petting and cuddles, he's more a "flop on your feet and pass out" cat.  Which is what he did.  I had a pretty good, short, nap but I woke up with the start of a headache.  I drank a Diet Dr Pepper and that helped. 

Now I need to review my exercises and do my warmup on my exercise bike.  Then I will go out in the garage and do kettlebells for a while.  It is good stress relief and it can only help to get stronger. 

I have been wondering how I will tell my parents about Ron, they sent me a text "Don't call us, have friends visiting" so that can be put off for a while.  My aunt had a huge family reunion today so I didn't want to put this on her. 

It's been our little secret. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what happened to his hand? I find ut stranges he cant put soda in the vending but gad no trouble with a heavier vodka bottle. How does he manage to pour it in the cup? I have a feeling you are helping him.

Heather Knits said...

I don't ever help him with alcohol. He doesn't pour it in a cup, he is chugging straight from the bottle. Considering the circumstances I am not going to ride him over it.

He basically has a limp wrist and cannot raise his fingers to be level with his arm. The fingers, on their own, work OK, but all the "go" at the wrist has gone. He says he did not injure it and it does not hurt. He has really good spirits about it.

BUT it is remarkably similar to how his other hand looked after the stroke. Which is just awful to think about.

About me "changing my story" on why I say, Hell, half the time I don't know. Especially days like this when it is so hard to watch him struggle and be so GOOD about it. I just had to feed him dinner and he was very sweet about it. This has been an awful road for us both and I just want to see him happy and healthy.

Ron is, rightly, scared what is next!

Anonymous said...

So it is possible he had another stroke and did not realize it because he was drunk. Sounds like he needs to get that checked out. Both alcohol and opioids increase the risk of strokes. Even more so when you mix the two together. He should be scared BUT this is in his control if he stops at least the alcohol.

Heather Knits said...

Can't forget a major family history (mother, at least a few, and at least one cousin ended up in a nursing home and then dead from strokes) too. I don't think anything is going to stop the alcohol. If he has another one that affects his good leg/reasoning/speech I may have to put him in a nursing home. He knows that. And keeps drinking.

Irony: no drinking (not much, at least) in the nursing home.

Anonymous said...

He owes it to you for all you are put through and the fact that you basically do all of the business related work , to at least go see the doc about his hand /possible stroke. Just my opinion.

Heather Knits said...

We see his pain doc today. We will see. I am assuming Doc will order a lot of testing.

Anonymous said...

If he is like my dad, nothing will scare him enough to quit drinking. My dad had heart and kidney failure but drank till the day he died.