Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sunday

Having a tough time but at least I am sleeping OK. 

When Biscuit first got sick, months ago, his medicine made him wobbly and he kept falling if he tried to jump on the bed.  So I made a step by my bed, and Ron's, so he could get up.  I noticed Torbie really appreciated the steps so I kept them around. 

The other day I was lying in bed.  If I want to find Torbie I would turn on my noisemaker, I only play it when I'm going to sleep.  I turned it on, I was in bed.  She came running from the hall and took a flying leap to my bed, which is about 20 inches off the floor.  And she went splat.  It was awful to see.  She had jumped on the opposite side of the step. 

So, when I got up I put another storage box next to the bed, making an additional step for her.  She has been using it a lot and loves it.  That's about the only way she shows her age.  You should see her bugging Ron for treats.  A bad hand is no excuse so he makes with them. 

She's been sleeping with me.  Biscuit is on and off but the weather is nice and he just caught a sparrow the other day (left the head by my computer chair). 

I got up around 8 this morning.  I got on the computer for a while.  I was really happy one of my favorite authors has written a ton of books since I last bought one.  Frederic Delavier.  He is a French illustrator and fitness expert.  He has written anatomy training books literally cutting  into the human body as it does various exercises and showing the muscle groups worked.  Drawings, of course.  They're very good books and I enjoy them. 

So I was happy to find him again when I was looking for a stretching book.  He has one, and some others I am interested in.  I plan to have a shelf in the garage, when I finish, for books like this.  It was a nice little spot in my day, to find.  I wish listed them. 

I plan to save what is in my online account for another grocery delivery, I get paid pretty soon and I can make another deposit. 

I took a shower, got dressed, then a walk.  I went farther than I had before and better speed too.  I am still being cautious because I really need my feet.  I need my whole body working right. 

It was uneventful.  I encountered a little girl on the walk, she was playing in her driveway, and the grandmother acted like I was some sort of perverted serial killer out to rape and eat the child.  I thought it was funny, you've seen my pictures.  I don't think I look threatening at all.  I just smiled and thanked the little girl when she blew some bubbles at me. 

And I kept walking.  I got home and Ron was awake.  I helped him. 

Once I finished with Ron, I got back on the computer again and then I took a nap.  Torbie got on me the second I turned on the noisemaker, and we had a good time.  I had a leg flung over one pillow, she used the other side of that same pillow as a mattress and head support.  It was adorable. 

I woke up with a headache, drank a cold diet soda but it is not helping.  I just broke down and took some Excedrin.  That means only one more dose this week.  Oh, I started my cycle today so that is usually good for a headache.  I thought I'd evade the headache today. 

I stayed on the computer until Ron got up and called me, then I took him into the kitchen.  He drank some vodka while I parted him from his shirt, then I compiled a load of laundry.  When I had the load ready I ran it, about that time Ron said he was interested in food. 

When Ron is sick it's a huge battle to get him to eat.  "What goes in must come out" he says.  As far as I know his digestion works well but he just loses interest.  Him being hungry was a huge thing. 

I heated up some sloppy joes and fed it to him.  If he had seen the portion, he would have refused it, but he ate it one bite at a time.  And he didn't make a mess because I fed it to him.  He had already spilled a soda and was feeling frustrated. 

He was happy and I took him back to bed.  Very ugly getting back into bed but he did it.  He likes to grab the sheet and pull himself that way.  That works OK but it pulls the sheet off the mattress.  I have to keep fixing it.  Maybe I need to look into getting a handle of some sort he can use. 

The clothes are in the dryer and the Excedrin is working.  Ron refused a bath, I tried.  He likes to use his cleaning cloths every day.  He made the trips for tomorrow.  We see his pain doc, who will hopefully point us toward some answers about Ron's hand. 

I just hate to see him struggling. 

I plan to go to bed early (if the caffeine wears off by then) and get up early, do a workout with the exercise bike and arms, then shower, get dressed, help Ron, etc.  I bought some hard boiled, peeled, eggs at Walmart recently, I can have those for dinner with a nice hunk of cheddar cheese when my headache crawls off.  I had hoped Ron would try the eggs, he needs lots of protein, but he said no.  I will offer him one and see how he likes it. 

Biscuit ate most of his ration before noon, he is going to have a hard time tonight.  He really does seem to be a carb addict.  But I want him healthier.  It was awful at the animal hospital listening to his heart monitor and thinking how would I feel if it suddenly stopped?  Awful.  Because extra weight puts a strain on the heart.  He can clean his butt now, he has lost enough weight for that, it is nice to look at his back end and it is fresh.  It wasn't, before.  :( 

I am sorting out how I am going to store the food for the cats.  I am pretty sure when I open Biscuit's 17 pound bag of food, I will put half into my pet food storage bin and leave the other half in the bag - somewhere.  Haven't figured that out yet.  The girl's food can go in the 5 gallon bucket.  I store the bowl of food along with the bag of food.  I may get another canister and put the girls' food in that. 

But I am doing my best to take care of myself, the cats, and Ron.  It hasn't been easy the last couple days but I will do it. 

I don't plan to call my aunt yet, until we see the doctor.  I will also "have" to call my parents because they would be upset if my aunt was told something they weren't.  Those are not going to be fun conversations.  But Ron was adamant the whole time he did not want a doctor or tests so I had to abide by that.  It is his body.  I have to respect that. 

That's one reason Ron married me, I respect his decisions, even if they are bad ones.  But whatever happened to him occurred when he was passed out on the floor and the "golden window" was gone by the time he woke up.  If you catch a stroke within the first 4 hours they can do a lot more - later, not so much.  Even if we had gone to the doctor the minute he sobered up I don't think it would have affected his outcome.  Like Ron, I believe he had a stroke.  From what I read it is possible to have a stroke only affect one limb. 

Ugh.  I need to focus on fun things and figure out which of Frederic's books I will be buying when I get paid.  Since they have detailed drawings they are really better in person and not on a reader. 

God's going to give me what I need to get through this, to take care of myself, Ron, and the cats.  I am glad Ron and Biscuit did not happen at the same time.  A disabled cat and a more disabled husband would have been a lot at the same time. 

The dryer just buzzed so off to be a housewife and put them all away. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So he cant feed himself and spilled his soda. Funny he doesnt spill the vodka. Since he had a stroke chances are good he will have another during his drunken late night binge drinking. You both need to have a candid talk about end of life directives. Make sure you are on all checking and savings accounts. Make sure any life insurance policies are still being paid and are active. I believe you said when he dies the house will automatically be paid off. Double check. Start cleaning pathways to and in his bedroom, kitchen etc so the emts will be able to get to him. Start getting your resume together. And that's really all you can do. Very sad he is doing this to himself. On the plus side should he lose complete hand mobility no more drinking for him. Unless you are willing to feed him that too.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have faith, because the reality of what you are living now is brutal. I know you know how important it is for him to be on meds because that one stroke could be the precursor to another . And whatever Ron thinks he is doing ? He is not making rational choices and you can start making them for him Heather you may have to ...because honestly? Choice or not exiting this world via alcohol is a horrible painful way to die. Even worse for the people they leave behind.
Dive into the books, fortify yourself and keep your own bucket full . I am sending you love and strength but know there are always other options you may think you have ruled out everything that might make for a better life for you and the cats, but you haven’t there are more choices you just have to find them. OOOXXX

Heather Knits said...

Oh, I have pathways. I need to work on his room, though. Some of the things I found!

He uses 2 hands to drink the vodka. It is apparently more important.