Thursday, April 18, 2019

A puppy out in severe weather

The day got off to a dismal start, Ron drinking in the kitchen, cursing God out; pouring torrential downpour outside, etc. 

But it turned out OK.  I got to work, helped Ron do his work, did mine.  I had enough time to do it all right.  I was pleased with that. 

Ron, however, is a slow learner.  "Do you want me to pick that up?"  "NO!"  [picks it up, screams] "Maybe you shouldn't do that"

Then he basically told me his mother told him to never ask for help and to always do it yourself.  Even if you are in agonizing pain every time you do it.  Had she still been alive, I would have taken Ron to her for a correction. 

Frustrating.  I have, however, come up with a solution.  I will ask Ron's pain doc, in front of Ron "Should Ron be doing heavy lifting of cases of soda, ever?"  Doc will of course say no.  Then it is doctor's orders.  He won't listen to me, that is clear. 

We had a delivery man we really like call us towards the end of our day.  He was having a terrible day but got to us about 45 minutes later.  I was glad to see him.  The other vendor was mad on Monday 'cause she didn't get him!  I told him that, which elicited a grin. 

Everything came in good condition, we put it away and I paid him.  He left, I put the carts up, and we called a cab.  It would be a half hour.  We hung out in the cafeteria for a little while but they had Wendy Williams on.  She reminds me of a very fashionable vulture, picking at carcasses.  I am so glad I am not famous. 

We left.  By this point I had gotten to 105 fitness points out of 60.  I think I know the secret to my good blood test results, I am VERY active. 

I found a seat up front and sat down near the door.  Ron called the liquor store about the flavored vodkas and they told him the flavors, he picked 2, strawberry, and watermelon.  He asked them to put it on hold. 

When the cab came, he asked the driver to go to the liquor store, pick up the liquor, put it in the front seat.  Then we went home, the driver put the alcohol in the garage (I won't touch it). 

BUT I heard a puppy yelping.  And I realized #6 has got another dog.  You may remember he had one 4 years ago, right about the time I got Biscuit and Gravy.  All it did was bark and cry.  They totally ignored it, all 8 of them, only 30 seconds a day to feed it and that's it, back in the house.  The poor dog was kept outside constantly and completely ignored. 

My pity for the dog was only matched by anger at losing my peace and quiet, because all it did was bark, of course.  In her little doggy brain, if she barked enough a human would come. 

Anyway, the dog broke the fence (the homeowner is very anal about his fencing) and got out one day, went straight to Ron.  Ron is very good with animals and she got right in his lap, he loved on her good, probably more than she had in the months of living with this guy, petting her, talking to her, etc.  The owner came out and found the dog on Ron's lap, called her, she wouldn't come.  One, she didn't recognize him as the boss because he never spent time with her.  Two, this was the only human paying her attention and she wasn't going anywhere.  He cursed and left. 

The next day the dog was gone.  So, on the one hand, I am surprised he got another dog.  He must really like the idea of a dog.  Or his kids do. 

But, they left it outside in severe weather this morning.  Ron was utterly outraged.  I did tell him she could hide under the trampoline but dogs hate thunder and heavy rain.  Not a very nice thing to do to your new puppy. 

The kids came home about the time I got up, and they went straight in the yard and played with her for a while.  I do find that encouraging and hope that keeps up.  Normally I hate the sound of the kids screaming but I would rather that than all night bark fests. 

I think they have had it for a few days, and, to the dog's credit, it has let me sleep.  Hopefully that will continue.  But I don't think, in the long run, this dog will last any longer than the last one. 

We are going to the chicken place pretty soon, Ron made a trip.  It is just stupid that it is easier to go miles out of the way, than it is to go right near the house.  But it's a better trip. 

I talked to Ron about going to the bank, and he gave me some cash for a cab.  I will go tomorrow once I sort out how much I am depositing.  I like to have a mix of currency - digital and hard. 

The cats are all good.  The vet called us back and basically told us to use Chewy to buy Biscuit's special treats.  We can do that.  I already have an account. 

It's been a long day. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a storm yesterday. My dog rode it out in my husband's lap

Anonymous said...

If the puppy is being left outside with no appropriate shelter and food and water access then it is considered animal abuse. Please call this number 512-978-0523 and report them. It is the animal abuse hotline. Don't let that puppy suffer because these people are selfish jackasses.

Heather Knits said...

I can't see the yard, just hear the dog. I don't know if he built/bought a dog house but it could shelter under the trampoline at least.

Today the mother and 2 girls came out and Ron was asking them questions about the dog, what's the name, when did you get it, can I see it type of stuff. The mother TOTALLY FREAKED and said something to her girls in Spanish and they said nothing.

If #6 knows Ron "likes" his dog he will be a lot more inclined to get rid of it. Remember the last one only lasted a few months. I'm not worried.

Now, if I went over there yelling "shut it up" in spanish they would keep it forever. But if we like it, she will soon be discarded. The dog's name is (something)ina. So a female.

Poor animal. Not her fault. Nothing I think they can get the owner on as yet but I have called on bad dog owners before, one behind me and one on the other side.

Anonymous said...

A trampoline is not an appropriate shelter for a dog. Your unwillingness to even help this dog says a lot about you and why you stay with Ron. I wish the people next door would get deported. Evil and selfish, people.

Heather Knits said...

Yeah, I stick my neck out, they retaliate and come after my cats. The humans in that house are petty, selfish, and vengeful. The man had a freaking tantrum on my porch when I wouldn't let him use my driveway.

If they were more reasonable, and spoke English, I would go to them and explain proper animal care, or have the Humane society come and do an educational visit.

I have, in the past, called humane society on TWO other neighbors who were neglecting their dogs. One dog was so bad you could see it's backbone. Another had no shelter at all, in the winter.

I assure you the dog will be gone in a few months. Why? This happened before. They love the idea of a cute little furry waggy lovey thing. They do not love the idea of poop, walks, urine, training, vet care, feeding, grooming, fleas, parasites, playtime, chewing, etc. And in the end their desire to control everything will win out - because a dog can only be controlled to a certain extent and they are not even willing to put that much time into it. The owner wants a perfectly behaved obedient dog from day one, with no investment in his part, that doesn't happen.

Now that bigmouth aka Ron has made a big production out of them having a dog - and they were so secretive about it - any notice drawn to the living conditions is going to backfire on me.

They are already abusing my cats, screaming at them and throwing heavy items at the cage, which is solely on my property. They are already doing this to my cats. Imagine if they do get a ticket. They will take it out on my cats and that is not something I am willing to risk. I could easily see him breaking down the door to the cat cage and letting them out, for instance. He is petty and selfish.

I don't know if they have shelter. Last time, they had a big overhang on the back porch, but they have since walled that in. He may have built a dog house although I didn't hear any construction. There is no way for me to know what is on his property without trespassing, we have high wooden fences. The only way the kids can see my cats is their trampoline. It is elevated and gives them perspective into my yard.

There are other neighbors, several of them are also dog owners. If any of them are concerned they can call. I am not the only reporting party in the neighborhood.

And I'm not endangering my cats over a dog that will be gone in a couple of months, anyway.