Tuesday, August 21, 2018

"Yes, he is too drunk to ride today"

Slept pretty well last night. 

Woke up, found Ron slumped in his wheelchair, in the kitchen.  I woke him up after my shower to remind him to get ready for work. 

So he started drinking "My back hurts".  Well, of course it does, you passed out in your wheelchair all night.  But he thought the solution was more alcohol. 

15 minutes before our ride he is so drunk he doesn't even know a shoe.  What it is.  Where it goes.  He put on one sock and said he was ready to go to work.  Not quite. 

Then the driver, a young man, came banging on the door.  I told him I was "getting Ron ready". 

Ron could not don his shoes.  He became verbally abusive and said one, half-on shoe on one foot and one sock on the other foot was good enough for work. 

I put the driver out of his misery, waiting, and told him Ron was too drunk to ride.  He scoffed at me and made me repeat it.  Yes, he's very drunk, he can't even get his shoes on.  He is also verbally abusing me, you don't want him.  The driver laughed.  Then he got my name so he could tell dispatch. 

Why does everyone think it is so funny that Ron gets too drunk to work?  I don't get that.  It's pathetic, not funny. 

Ron apparently had a big blowout last night, he said he was going to have his "last night" drinking before he got the pain pills.  Instead he has a blackout and I can't stock, the vending machines are going to look like crap today and I lose yet ANOTHER day off. 

I am pissed.  Ron seems to have calmed down so I will go back to bed and try to take a nap.  I am working on a pretty good headache. 

Of course when he sobers up he will be furious at me.  I will just tell him the driver left, not that I sent him away. 

He was also adamant he was going to work but that is out.  I wouldn't dare take him in like that.  Someone sees him drunk and we are terminated. 

And then what? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you had the common sense not to force the issue and take him into work drunk. They seem to be scrutinizing you guys more closely and yes I also agree they would use this as something to fire him over. Of course cancelling the trips with the paratransit will also have negative consequences too. A person that wants to have one last binge before starting on pain pills is truly addicted. Same as us overeaters who have one last binge before starting the diet the next day (and we all know how well that turns out for many).