Saturday, August 4, 2018

I'd much rather have a possum

Ron was in a lot of pain today.  His voice was strained and he moved like a 90-year old man.  It was horrible to watch. 

I got up and got ready.  10 minutes before our pickup, Ron was still not up.  I had to wake him up.  He got ready in time. 

We went to the warehouse and got our supplies, met Jack, and went to work.  A note about Jack.  Since it was nearly time for my cycle, I wore some protection.  Several months ago I nearly bled all over the cloth seats of his truck!  That would have been horrifying.  So I am extra careful now. 

We got to work, unloaded, it wasn't too bad.  I helped Ron stock, put the water in the fridge, and did some stocking of my own.  Then I compiled 4 carts into 2.  Did it!  God helps me figure it all out. 

All done.  We came home, had a nice driver I like a lot. 

I took a nap.  I felt a cat getting up in the bed after I had fallen asleep, found out later it was Torbie.  Torbie has been hanging out with Ron more lately, since he's in so much pain. 

Ron got up and practically crawled to the kitchen for some vodka.  I believe he is in severe pain on an ongoing basis, especially after talking to his doctor. 

I want to believe Ron when he says he will stop drinking if he can get some pain relief.  But I doubt him.  I suppose that is natural after 26 years of broken promises.  I really hope I am proven wrong.  I really do. 

We went out to dinner.  The restaurant had a bar.  They seated us near a rowdy table of adults drinking shots and celebrating a birthday.  I didn't mind that, but the loud singing, whoops, and sudden shouts were a bit offputting to me. 

After eating, I begged for the check and fled the scene. 

Our driver showed up pretty quick.  She was probably well over 400 pounds.  She said she was planning to eat less takeout, and no meat, to lose weight.  I told her that would not work, and described what I ate when I did low carb, and how much weight I lost.  I hope that stuck with her.  If she goes vegetarian, low fat, high carb she will end up well over 500 pounds and will be unable to work anymore. 

Many of my readers know this personally. 

We came home.  Ron crawled off to bed, leaving his leftovers on the counter.  I found them about 10 minutes later and asked him if he wanted Possum to eat them, or should I put them in the fridge?  He put the leftovers into a plastic bag and then put them into the fridge. 

I took out some trash.  A lot of times I do cleaning but I'm not dressed to take stuff out to the street/garbage can.  I don't want to give the neighbors an eyeful. 

About the possum: one of the cats got sick on the floor yesterday.  I felt crappy with my headache and resolved to get it today.  Also, Ron had made a mess eating chicken and left bits of skin, gristle, and bone all over the kitchen floor.  Screw it, I figured, I'll get it all (today). 

This morning, when I got up, I couldn't find any of it.  The possum took care of all of it.  Good boy.  And when I cleaned the box last night I found plenty of possum poops in the box.  So it is using the box. 

Some of you, no doubt, are horrified by this but I would rather have a clean, toilet trained, houseguest.   I still worry when I put my feet on the floor at night, getting out of bed, but other than that I'm not afraid of it.  The cats aren't scared, either. 

Heck, babies can be very messy.  What is it, two years before they are toilet trained?  And they play with their poop?  That's a lot worse than a possum, yet people have them all the time. 

Then I called my parents.  They are doing well and wanted to know about Ron's last injection.  I told them.  I also told them about his pain clinic appointment.  I really hope they can do something for him.  I'm sure they're hoping the same thing. 

It is safe to say, and I try to write as though they might trip over my blog sometime, safe to say they would rather Ron be stable and taking care of me.  So I'm not their problem.  Safe to say that. 

Since the possum trap isn't working we are loaning it to someone tonight.  It may be a while before we get it back, maybe, maybe not.  We will see.  The guy borrowing it wants to trap a single, large, rat on his property.  I'm guessing there's more than one rat, but that's his problem. 

He has pets (cats, dogs, etc.) so he doesn't want to use poison.  Smart man.  Besides, dead rodents really stink up a place when they die.  He also plans to use snap-traps. 

I would so much rather have a possum than a rat. 

1 comment:

Spankadoo said...

What. Trip that possum used the litter box ! Hey if there are no fleas (the only opossum I have seen up close was a darling very tiny baby who was covered with them I had no idea what to do and he left before I could even try to bath him!
The teeth impressed me and they do look like a giant rat like creature . But if he is eating the messes up off that is another floor annother perk!
Maybe you could check with the vet and see what/if they have to say? I am sure they would give you advice you have a big family that sees them!
Much love and huge hugs!