Friday, August 24, 2018

The things I signed up for

Ron had a bad day for pain, all day.  He spent most of the day on the phone with his doctor's staff. 

We went to the Waffle House.  They have a lot of them in Houston and you can make it low carb pretty easily. 

I was happy to see that a pecan waffle is "only" 58 carbs.  I am trying to keep my carbs under 100 so I could do that, if I wanted.  I forgot I am trying to cut out wheat for headache control. 

Anyway, we went.  It was pretty busy.  A very obese couple were sitting at the counter, and their chairs went so far back there was no room for Ron to sit in his wheelchair.  He had to transfer to the booth seat, which was very painful for him. 

I got 4 eggs with cheese, and the waffle.  It was really good.  Ron got a sandwich.  He said he was in more pain after eating, than before.  I told him later he may have a sensitivity issue and he may need an elmination diet for a while. 

We finished.  Ron had decided to call a cab.  I told him the one guy we always use was nearby, but he was cheap and didn't want to give a big tip.  If he called a stranger he could just give a basic tip.  If he called our guy he would "have" to give a bigger tip. 

So he called the cab company direct.  And who shows up?  Our guy.  I thought it was pretty funny.  He took us home and unloaded Ron, who gave him a good tip. 

I had taken "everything" at the Waffle House (I can do that, as long as I get everything down every day Doc doesn't care how I do it, he's told me).  I went to bed and took a nap. 

I had a pretty good nap but woke up with a headache.  The pecan waffle.  My fault, entirely.  I took something and got up.  I told Ron I was up and ran a load of towels.  With the towels, I run the load and then I run a rinse cycle with some vinegar in it.  It gets the suds out. 

I heard Ron moaning a lot.  He was still on the phone with the doctor. 

About 6 he came out of his room, toward the kitchen.  Something told me he wasn't after leftovers.  He "reminded" me "they" said he "couldn't" consume alcohol with the blood thinner, but he did anyway and was "fine".  I told him the pain relievers were very different, they had documented cases of many people dying from mixing alcohol and pain pills.  He told me he didn't care, the pain was so bad he had to do something about it. 

Sitting here now in my chair, I can't help but think about all the migraines I had, where the pain level was extreme.  I just endured it.  I didn't go chasing. 

Of course migraines go away eventually.  His pain won't. 

So he's in the kitchen now.  He had at least one drink. 

He kept saying how the alcohol "really helped" with the pain and I said yes, it may help, but your behavior is pretty extreme, you are abusive and you fall out of your wheelchair. 

"When was the last time I fell out of my wheelchair?"  Tuesday.  And the Sunday before that. 

Ron just told me he DIDN'T drink.  He just took his Gabapentin and waited for it to work.  It is helping now so he says he won't drink. 

Anyone else feel like I've got a sword hanging over my head?  So, who knows what he will do.  I begged him not to mix alcohol and that's all I can do. 

I can sympathize because I see he is in terrible pain, I see he is having trouble getting the pain pills, but you can't mix this stuff.  I - he just took a shot - understand he's in severe pain, but there's got to be another solution. 

So now I guess I get dressed and wait for him to pass out, so I can call 911.  [sigh]  The things I signed up for when I married this man! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand. Is the problem that the pain medication wears off before he has to take another dose? Is that where the pain is coming from? Yesterday you said that he said the pain pills took the pain to a 1. What is different with the pain pills today than yesterday? Only other thing I can think is he didn't want to take the pain pill so he could drink and then changed his mind?

Anonymous said...

I have fibro and took that medication, it did nothing for my pain. I've also used similar medications that also didn't help or I was allergic to. I finally had to go to opioids. I'm not pain free but at least I can function without side affects. I understand what Ron's going through and I hope he finds a medication to help his pain.

Anonymous said...

Doing a keyword search on the word “drunk” and I can see Ron has been getting plastered and falling since 2010.

8 years.

Anonymous said...

I know there will be a lot of comments saying, "I told you so." but ... we all knew and I know you knew the same thing but hoping for the best. I'm sorry you're going through this, Heather. Hopefully he doesn't black out. If he does, I'm praying that it won't get worse. He just proved that you can't trust him around alcohol even with pain killers. :( -star_tigress

Heather Knits said...

Actually Ron has been drinking heavily and blacking out since 2007. I started getting better (diagnosis and treatment in 2006), he started getting worse. He actually beat me up in fall of 2007, left me covered in bruises. It was not his best moment.

Heather Knits said...

I'm not sure what's the difference in the two days. One day it was working fine, the next it isn't. And, unlike the past, alcohol didn't seem to help either.

Anonymous said...

I did a search on this medication and it say it really doesn't do anything for back pain. Yet on day 1 Ron said it worked and day 2 it doesn't work? Sounds like maybe he is just using this as an excuse to go back to the drinking? Did it work or didn't it work? You can't have 2 wildly different reactions in just 2 days, can you?

Heather Knits said...

Day one he said he had some relief, spending most of his time in bed. Day two he had some relief, spending most of his time in bed. Day 3, getting out of bed, agonizing pain that had him screaming. Even drinking vodka didn't help.

I don't pretend to understand it, either.

Heather Knits said...

OH, and if you want to do a fun keyword search look for "blackout".