Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The vodka-water mistake

I slept late today, until 9:30.  I got on the computer for a while and watched some TV. .

Ron woke up.  I decided to give him his shot.  I washed and sterilized my hands, got the needle, sterilized my tray, got the vial, saturated some cotton pads with rubbing alcohol to sterilize Ron.  I told Ron I was getting ready to do it. 

I prayed before I drew up the vial, and I got the whole dose this time.  My hands were shaking really bad.  It's always the left hand, when it shakes.  Part of it is genetic, my Dad's hands shake, and part of it is due to my medication. 

I went over to Ron, pulled up his shirt.  He pulled it down.  I pulled it up again, reminding him I had to give him his shot.  Oh, OK. 

I sterilized his skin and took the cap off the needle.  Good thing he can't see any of this.  I picked up a fold of skin in my left hand.  Then I poked him.  It wouldn't go in, I had to poke him again.  Then I depressed the plunger while Ron's asking if I got it yet.  I told him we were done. 

He asked me to push him to the kitchen.  These days, he can't even go 40 feet on his own in the wheelchair.  [sigh] 

I told him I had to get rid of my needle, etc. and then I would help him.  I did.  When he got to the kitchen he pulled out a bottle to take a swig. 

Since vodka is clear, and water is clear, I have often thought it would be funny to put water in one of Ron's empty vodka bottles.  He would be furious.  I've never done it, though. 

I heard Ron cursing fluently.  I asked him what was wrong.  He told me the vodka bottle was full of water. 

He had filled up an empty bottle with water, to fill the cats' water bowl.  He had apparently mixed it in with his active vodka bottles and put it in his cabinet. 

I started laughing pretty hard, here I had thought of pranking him and he had pranked himself.  He got it sorted out. 

I drank a Diet Dr Pepper to celebrate the completion of my last weekly injection.  Next one, September 1st.  I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of getting the liquid out of the vial.  What I did this week was inject the air (every site says to do that), withdraw the air, and keep pulling until I got Ron's 1 cc dose.  If I am supposed to do that I have read nothing on the subject.  But it worked.  Then of course I pushed all the air out of the vial, made sure I got a drop of fluid, and then capped it and chased Ron down. 

Ron was very worried about air embolisms, the first couple weeks.  I had to keep telling him, yes, I got all the air out. 

Ron put his "vodka" in the cats' water bowl and we went our separate ways. 

I think I'm going to take a shower and make the bed.  The bed sheets haven't been washed in a while.  I really need to get Ron's sheets but I don't think he will let me.  Ron's should probably be burned, more like. 

At any rate I had better take my shower if I'm going to do that. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if he gave the cats the vodka instead of the water? I wonder why he can't use his arms to wheel himself in the chair but is able to stock the soda in the machine.

Anonymous said...

Also not washing his sheets at least once a week is absolutely nasty and disgusting. It is also a health hazard. Fungal and bacterial infections can happen. Plus the cats get in that dirty bed and they can also get sick from it. Ironic you are so worried about sanitizing him for his monthly needle jab and he lays in a bed of filth on a daily basis. Why can't you buy 2 sets of sheets and rotate them weekly for washing?

Heather Knits said...

Boy, you're a little judgy, aren't you?

He doesn't like me to disrupt his bed, he has things arranged a certain way, covers bunched up a certain way under his pillow, etc. That all goes away when I change the sheets. I change them as often as he will let me.

He runs a business. He is capable of letting me know when he wants his sheets changed. And yes, I have multiple sheets, but he doesn't like to let me take the old one off.

It's his bed.

Heather Knits said...

About the wheelchair, it does not have big wheels. He has to use his legs to move this wheelchair because it is more narrow than a standard wheelchair. At work, he has a standard wheelchair. But remember he only has one good arm so he goes crooked if he tries to use his arms to propel himself. Legs work better, but the legs aren't working so well right now.

If he had given the cats vodka they would ignore it. A dog probably wouldn't, but they won't even eat people food, including chicken and tuna fish. They want cat food and water, that's it. It would have done a great job of cleaning the water bowl, though.

He uses his left (good) arm to stock sodas. He really only has one good limb and that's it. He makes it look easy when I know it must be pretty much anything but. His right arm is worthless for just about anything but hugging me, he will pull it around me with the good arm.

Anonymous said...

Not judgy at all just stating some facts that his lack of hygiene is quite disgusting.