Tuesday, August 21, 2018

He fell out of the wheelchair again

Well, my headache got worse.

I laid down for a nap with Biscuit.  Ron started making noise.  Then he started yelling for me.  I figured I would need some Excedrin before I dealt with him, so I took some.

Unfortunately, I had seen him finishing off his old bottle of vodka, then opening a new one.

I got up.  Ron had fallen on the floor, shouting at me to help him find the edge of his bed.  I kept telling him he was on the floor.  No he wasn't,  this went on for a while.

He managed to crawl from the front of the house to his bedroom and is on the floor next to his bed.

Things got even more exciting when paratransit called and told us they would be there in 10 minutes.  He managed to call and get excused absences.  He told them he fell out of his wheelchair, which is true.

I just hope he doesn't decide he needs the paramedics.  My home is a mess and that's the last thing I need, although the ones I met were very nice.  He just needs to lie down and sober up, then he will be able to get into bed without a problem.  I did place his wheelchair at an angle to him and the bed.  He can use it to pull himself up, he can climb into it, he can climb into bed.  Lots of options.

I may look into getting handrails for his bed, he could use one to pull himself up.

He just called me back to his bedroom .  He was dramatically nicer this time, asking for help.  He thinks he needs to go in a nursing home.  I reminded him he is drunk, and will be able to get into bed when he sobers up.

If I'm wrong, between us, then it's ANOTHER call to the paramedics but we will see on that.

He decided to rest for a while and then get into bed when he sobers up.  Oh, what a day.  What a headache.

I did start my green chili stew:
2 pounds pork stew meat
3/4 cup chicken bone broth
1/4 t salt
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t cumin, ground
4 ounce can Hatch chilis (any green chili), mild (I don't like heat in my food)
I would have put some onions if I had room for them.

In the crock pot.  We will see how it goes.  I think it will certainly be edible, if not good.

And Ron was screaming for me like he was dying, I went back and he was halfway in the bed.  I shoved him over into the bed and got him situated.  Hopefully he will stay put until he sobers up.

Ugh.  I really hope today has taught him a lesson.  I feel exhausted.  I used to have more energy after running 7 miles than I do right now, and I took a caffeine containing pain reliever.

Now that he is more coherent, he says that is pain was severe this morning, so bad he feels it was worth it to drink it away.  Even with all the drama, still feels it is worth it. 

Who am I to argue?  I tell you, though, when I help him with physical lifting I am super careful I don't [censored] up my own back.  That's the last thing we need. 

He is making trips for tomorrow. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the HELL is wrong with you? Why are you scheduling trips with a blackout drunk to go places? I think you both need an intervention by someone.

Anonymous said...

He knows he needs to go to a nursing home. Your insistence that he doesn't is really self serving at this point since you are dependent on him for an income. Why haven't you picked up the pain meds yet? And when you do, please stop over tipping the driver like you are made of money. It is just wasteful.

Heather Knits said...

The trip is made the day before. The client has to call between, say 9-5 the day before to set up the trip. Pick me up at 2, take me to Walmart, give me a half hour and bring me home. Like that. The trip is made the day before.

I thought, when they cancelled our first trips, they had cancelled everything. They did not. Otherwise I would have cancelled it all at, what, 8?

I would never take him out like this. He could get arrested for public intoxication.

Heather Knits said...

We tip cab drivers, not paratransit drivers. They would be fired if they took a tip.

I do give them a bag of candy with scripture booklets/tracts, which is OK.

I didn't get the pain meds because 1. He was too drunk to go, and to my understanding he has to be present with an ID card to get his medication. 2. He aborted the trip. and 3. He would have taken them, right away, with the alcohol on board, and killed himself.

That is not the goal.

Anonymous said...

NURSING HOME. ASAP. you are not qualified to care for him. You can barely give him his shot, he can’t be trusted with pain meds, he keeps falling and for some reason you can’t help him up. It is very wasteful for paramedics to keep being called for that. Omg. Please put him in a nursing home. He said he wanted to go himself.

Heather Knits said...

I can, and have, given him the shot. I did better than our "normal" friend who ended up with cellulitis, giving herself shots.

I can't help him up because he weighs 150 pounds. When he is drunk that is all dead weight, he is not able to help me get him up. The paramedics have to (when they come, which they didn't, yesterday) pick him up like a sack of potatoes when they get him. It takes TWO of them.

Yesterday I was able to help him into bed, after he had sobered up some.

He didn't say he wanted to go to the nursing home, he said I might have to put him there. And if you think I get the business after that happens you are SADLY mistaken.

Anonymous said...

Yes we know once Ron is gone you are out of a job. Which makes it a little self serving in regards to how much you will let a person fall, all the while insisting that they are not that bad. I thought you were going to a pain center but all you went to the other day was a legal drug dealer. Very sad in more ways than one. So the pain pills are out and the alcohol is in...I don't think he will be employed by this time next year as there will be too many cancelled trips to work due to his drinking and they will have to let him go.