Sunday, August 19, 2018

A trip to Walmart anyway

First, I have to feed Biscuit.  He is staring at me and putting his paw on my leg.  OK, that's done. 

I even got a meow out of Baby Girl as she jumped up to eat some food. 

The cats don't really talk much to us, unless they are hungry.  Then they'll beg. 

So, there's Ron, flopping on the floor of the garage.  I'm thinking [censored] not again thoughts.  The ambulance is on the way.  #7 is across the street, mowing his yard.  Now that we've mowed ours he has to mow his or be the worst house on the street.  No one cares about their yard if mine looks worse.  #2, the teenage boy, is also mowing his yard.  Ron is on the floor of the garage, it's just a normal day. 

I like to take Ron out and let him wallow on the floor of the garage every Sunday morning.  It's refreshing.  And there's a siren.  Please don't let it be for Ron. 

It was, but by the time it got to us it just had the lights on.  Awkward.  It was the same crew we had last time. 

Once I got Ron loaded I took him to his bed, but he wouldn't get into it.  Chuck came a while later so I had to leave Ron next to the bed.  I worried but if he falls in the house who cares, he can get back into his chair when he sobers up.  We've done that before.  The only reason we called the ambulance was the heat and the spiders in the garage.  Ron hates spiders. 

One of the paramedics was clowning around, playing with Ron's 2 liter bottle of vodka (his last one).  He remembered seeing it from last time. 

So, I left Ron and went to the store.  It was packed.  I believe most schools start tomorrow, I didn't factor that into my trip.  Lots of couples and families.  Chuck waited at McDonald's and I went hunting for vegetables (frozen diced sweet potatoes, frozen diced onions), spices, etc.  It was really packed and not necessarily an easy shopping experience.  The traffic reminded me of the freeway.  I prefer to shop at "like" 7 AM when everyone's already at work or in school.  Anyone shopping then is just running in to pick up something quickly.  But Ron doesn't like an early trip. 

Anyway, I got everything.  Yesterday Ron had asked me for 3 large bottles of Tylenol. 

I have mixed opinions about getting them.  On the one hand, if I don't buy them he asks someone else to do it, and they always screw it up and buy the wrong Tylenol.  He's going to get it anyway.  And he's able to run a business and household (pay all the bills, manage spreadsheets, schedule our trips, etc.).  So, even though it causes liver damage in conjunction with alcohol - something I have told him repeatedly - I buy it under protest. 

Although, according to the ultrasound, Ron only has some minor, preliminary, liver damage. 

That was $60 on my total right there.  Ouch.  But Ron is always diligent about paying me back.  When I got home he even gave me an extra $20. 

I got everything on my list and headed for the register.  But I forgot Ron wanted some veggie soup.  I went back and got some 50 cent cans of beef, barley, and vegetables.  If he doesn't eat them I will.  I like them if I am coming off a migraine.  Plenty of salt to get my levels up (that's actually a concern), bland and easy to digest.  And they have red meat so they should help build his blood. 

Chuck had told me to take as long as I wanted, no rush at all, he likes people watching.  So I didn't have to scamper, I could navigate my traffic. 

Ron called and asked me where I was.  I told him. 

I got in line behind a family paying for school supplies and put all my stuff on the conveyor.  My stuff only came (spices and some ingredients for dishes, canned food, etc.) to $30.  My cashier seemed new and had a lot of trouble scanning items.  I had to struggle with impatience. 

Then I went to McDonald's.  I figured I was getting a headache anyway from the stress, I could feel it spreading out from the back of my head, and might as well get a nice chilly vanilla shake. 

But their machine was broken.  I was very disappointed. 

I drank my Diet Dr Pepper while sitting with Chuck and hearing about the Ramp program at the VA.  We left, I gave him some money for his time and gas (he lives pretty far away).  He accepted it gleefully. 

We got home and I took out my bag, waved goodbye.  Ron sent me a text as I was standing in the driveway, telling me to give Chuck the exact sum I had given him.  I thought that was funny. 

I got inside and told Ron I was home.  I found him in bed, where he was supposed to be.  Good.  He wanted to know what happened this morning.  I told him we had "the whole circus" with him falling out, the ambulance, etc. 

I put my frozen veggies in the freezer (and the ice cream!).  I got almost everything sorted out and put away.  I still need to find a home for some of the spice bottles. 

The plan was so make 2 batches of pork stew: green chili stew (easy and good to make) and a bacon-themed smoked maple stew.  However, I forgot the liquid smoke so I think I will do honey and mustard.  Dry mustard, not that horrible yellow stuff.  I have crock pot liners, too. 

I did remember everything for the green chili stew, green chilis, etc.  Hatch brand.  Hatch chilis seem to be a huge deal around here right about now.  I don't eat a lot of very spicy food - not "hot" food.  I like spices, love Indian food, but not crazy about heat in my food. 

I will do the green chili tomorrow morning and let it cook while we're gone.  I plan to put a little cumin and oregano, the chiles, some broth, and the meat in the crock pot.   The meat is good for days yet so no rush on cooking. 

I laid down for a nap.  Torbie joined me.  We had a good nap but I woke up - wait for it - with a headache!  I expected it, I had eaten a couple of small bags of chips for breakfast, lots of stress for lunch, etc.  I would have been shocked if I DIDN'T have one. 

So I took something and it's working pretty well.  Hell, I could probably stand to see the pain doctor on my own. 

Well, probably a neurologist who specialized in headaches, but that's not possible.  I will try low carb again first and see how that works. 

I expect this week to suck with induction flu and transitioning to low carb, getting off the headache pills, etc.  But I think when I'm done, I will have lost weight and hopefully lost the headaches too. 

Tomorrow we go to work and then the I almost said headache doctor.  Pain doctor.  Ron forgot to call in the trip so he will have to call and beg for a ride.  If he can't get one we will have to take a cab.  I just hope it isn't a Suburban.  They are nice rides but Ron has a horrible time getting into, and out of, them. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone that receives help from a pusher on their wheelchair, should have leg rests, even if it is for a short distance. ALWAYS. You can actually break their ankles if you push on them!!! He can take the leg rests off at home if he wants. You need to realize that dementia is already started...it's a gradual process, not sudden oncet where he will no longer realize what is going on. That has nothing to do with his intelligence. Pain meds may help pain, but they will not alleiviate any dementia. Praying for you as you have so much to deal with.

Heather Knits said...

The dementia-like behavior seems to stem from the drinking.

He starts the pain meds tomorrow. We will see how that goes. Hopefully, well.