Monday, August 20, 2018

What a Monday

And I thought yesterday was bad. 

Today was crazy.  We went out of the house, down the ramp, backwards.  That worked well, Ron did not fall out of his wheelchair. 

But when we got to the van the driver was muttering, cursing, and beating on the door.  She had locked herself out of the van. 

1.  Hit the door lock when she egressed. 
2.  Did not have passenger door opened. 
3.  Tied off back door so no one could board that way (worried about her safety).
4.  Failed to use the emergency brake and engage the wheelchair lift. 

It was a true cluster#$%!.  An hour on the phone, they sent another van out to try and help her, beating on all the doors, trying to get in, etc.  She finally borrowed my shovel and used that to disable the "tie-down" she had used to secure the back door.  It finally opened and she was able to get on board and unlock everything, engage the brake so Ron could be boarded, etc. 

But it took over an hour.  We got to work very late and barely had time to receive, and stock, the sandwiches.  I helped Ron, wasn't able to do a lick of my work. 

So we have to go in on my day off. 

That completed, we went home.  I laid down for an hour but couldn't sleep.  Got up, got Ron ready for the pain doctor. 

He had forgotten to call in the trip by the deadline so we had to pay a cab to take us.  It cost about $20, not bad.  We went in.  Then all the fun of filling out all the paperwork.  So much paperwork. 

Ron did not have to sign something promising not to drink, but he is not allowed to share his medication, or use illegal drugs in addition.  And they wanted to test his urine to make sure he was not currently on narcotics. 

Well, shit.  I forgot about that.  I would have plied Ron with drinks had I remembered that.  He couldn't make a sample. 

Doc came in anyway and did an exam.  Does it hurt here?  No?  What about here?  [Ron screams in agony and almost falls off the bed].  Clearly, some legitimate pain issues.  He didn't say that but I could practically hear him thinking that. 

He left, said he would write Ron a prescription for something when Ron produced his sample.  So I start plying him with drinks.  He hated the orange seltzer.  Hated the tap water.  I had already drunk my jasmine tea but Ron would rather suffer in agony the rest of his life before he'd drink jasmine tea.  Nothing.  We waited a while longer, made Ron drink more.  Nothing. 

He was ready to leave.  I told him to give it another half hour.  It's been my experience, when I drink a lot of water, it takes about half an hour for it to clear my kidneys and I assumed it would be the same for Ron.  Nothing. 

I took him to the bathroom anyway (the doctor's staff were giving us some funny looks by now) and after a couple of minutes I hear a triumphant battle cry.  Ron had peed about 4 ounces. 

My first thought "Where is the cap?"  I capped the specimen cup quickly and put it on the tray.  There, it's done. 

I told everyone, like a proud mother "He peed!"  We left and took a cab to get something to eat.  Well, I ate.  Ron was vaguely queasy from all the water I forced on him.  I ate and we took a cab home. 

Finally done for today.  The pharmacy called and told Ron his prescription will cost $20.  That's not bad. 

Especially when you consider $20 is what the cab ride cost us, to get there (not counting the tip). 

After Ron is done in the kitchen, I will set up my green chili stew and then clean the litter boxes.  In that order. 

Oh, it's been a long day. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this will be QUITE interesting to see how well a raging alcoholic miraculously drops his vodka cold turkey for some narcotic pain killers. One that also drank on blood thinners after doctors orders not to do so. *cue the Ron defenders*

Anonymous said...

I am so shocked that anyone would give Ron pain meds. That is a recipe for an OD he doesn’t care that Tylenol and vodka can cause liver failure. Why would he care that pain meds and booze can cause death? This is too sad for words I am sorry Heather.

Anonymous said...

I get that the man is in excruciating pain and that the pain doc can only give him pills to manage that. My question is will the pain pills actually do that? I know with some back pain not even pain meds can touch the pain.

Anonymous said...

If you're talking about my dad. He died on Sunday at age 80.
He mixed everything with alcohol.