Saturday, August 18, 2018

Still feeding Possum

It was a long day.  First ride: to the warehouse, late.  Not only that, we picked up 2 other people, neither of whom were apparently disabled. 

I don't mind picking up someone who looks like a pretzel, in a wheelchair; someone with obvious intellectual issues; a blind person; an amputee, etc... but someone who bounces onto the vehicle and has both arms, legs, mind, eyes, working - yeah, I've got a problem with that. 

Especially when they make me late.  We picked up the one and then then drove and picked up the other.  Let one off - at the beauty salon.  She whined it wasn't open yet.  Well, don't schedule it so early, next time.  In the meantime we were late. 

We got there, finally, and unloaded.  I got Ron parked and did my shopping.  I only had a couple of minutes to do my personal shopping. 

I wanted to get meat, so I could do low carb again.  I didn't have time to look at the beef, so I basically fell over the pork section.  Huh.  I found a nice tray of pork stew meat.  It looked good, good price.  Good sell by date (very important to me).  I got it. 

I got some drinks for work (I paid separately, for me, and work stuff) - put them on the cart, and then found the frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs.  Those must have been some big chickens.  If I met them in an alley, they could have beat me up.  6 pounds for $10.  Individually quick frozen.  Good. 

I threw them into the "buggy" on top of the pork.  Then I finished my shopping for work.  I bought "my" stuff (and paid sales tax) for it after buying the work stuff on the business' dime. 

Then I stuck the meat into the insulated tote bag I brought for just that purpose.  I had a couple of 1 quart frozen bottles in there too.  And it worked, even with all the temperature stress it had the next couple hours, when I got home the chicken was still frozen. 

But first I had to go to work, stock, help Ron.  Always helping Ron.  Not that I usually mind.  I didn't have any "Heather" work to do, really, so I could focus on helping Ron. 

We finished and came home.  We had a really nice driver.  He had another pickup and that client was really surly.  I felt bad for the driver.  I don't know if the guy was just having a bad day, tired of waiting, or what, but yike. 

I was glad to get out at home.  I put my meat away and got Ron in the house.  I took a nap. 

Biscuit joined me.  I woke up with a headache.  Really SICK of these headaches.  I woke up with one this morning, too. 

I am going to have to go through a process of getting off the OTC pain killers.  They cause rebound headaches if you take them too often, which I am.  So even when the triggers are gone I'm going to have headaches for some period of time just detoxing from the OTC stuff.  Fun!  I plan to stop taking the painkillers after Monday. 

Monday, I have to take Ron to the doc.  I have to be sharp for that, or they will wonder which of us is there for pain control. 

But I can have a bad couple days after that, if need be.  Restarting low carb is always a little rough. 

We went out to dinner.  I saw a huge, lifted, pickup truck with a handicapped hang tag.  I would need a ladder to get into the truck.  It would be impossible for Ron to get into it.  So I had to figure whoever was using the vehicle couldn't have been that disabled.  I found it very rude and offensive to take a parking spot.  An old man on a walker, who couldn't even stand up straight, had to park farther down as a result, and he could barely move about 3 inches an hour getting to the door of the restaurant.  Not cool. 

We had a good meal, though.   I can make it work low carb style when I finally kick off.  I did not get dessert, even though Ron tried to talk me into it. 

Ron said, on his own initiative, that he wants to eat more vegetables.  That can only be good.  One driver suggested Ron simply eat more of what he enjoys eating already, which I think is a good plan. 

We are going to Walmart tomorrow, I will see what appeals to him and get that, then make it a point to feed it to him daily.  Or as often as he will eat it. 

I'm pretty tired.  I'm going to bed early tonight.  Ron set the trip to Walmart so we can get up late, for us, and go. 

I already put out Possum's applesauce and cat food so he has something to eat tonight.  I got fond of the little rat. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a chronic pain sufferer and I would have used a huge pick up truck before I got my facet joint shot in my lower back. I was this close to getting a temporary handicapped tag because I couldn't walk far, couldn't stand for long, and I couldn't get out of my car comfortably (and it was low). A pick up truck would have been really easy to get in and out with minimal pain which I found out by riding my friends' trucks. I didn't have to push up with my legs and lower back to get out of my seat. I didn't have to bend down to get in to sit down - all I had to do was to pull up using my arms to get in. Down the road, I'm getting a high rider because of those reasons and my back pain is chronic. It will never go away. I'd hate to be judged just because of that since I look fine but I am not fine inside, much less the choice of my vehicle. I know my husband was judged all the time when he had his temp tag because he couldn't walk far due to a chronic issue. He decided not to renew because of all the comments and looks he got - all because of his appearance of being able bodied but a wreck inside. Now he just bears it and has bad days because of it and his work is affected by it too.

My point being - all individuals' trials are different and you shouldn't judge them based on appearances. I'm sorry the old man had to walk far but he needs to talk to the restaurant to see if they can add more HC spots.

Sorry to hear about the paratransit system making you and Ron late. It seems like it's rare for you though. Keep your head up. -star_tigress

Heather Knits said...

Ron's pretty good at making the trips. They have a computer, that works better than talking to someone.

I am very GUILTY of judging if someone is not an overt "gimp" then I think they are a liar and cheating the system for "better" parking. Kind of like I am with people riding paratransit - a lot of people riding who, apparently, don't need to be. I ride as a caregiver, I handle all the packages, get Ron in his wheelchair, etc. Some caregivers don't even do that. That one bugs me.