Thursday, August 9, 2018

Possum eviction

So, I went to bed.  Heard a lot of racket under my bed.  Asked God to please help me catch this thing.  More noise for a while.  I started clapping every time it made noise, to get it to shut up.  Torbie left :(  I was very upset about that. 

Then I heard the trap.  One of my friends had mentioned I could have a problem with the locking mechanism.  So I checked it and sure enough he was about to get out of the trap.  I locked it so he couldn't. 

Then I had quiet hysterics because it was real.  It was ugly.  And I was standing there naked and it was in my bedroom.  Then I thought no one's going to believe this without a photo, so I turned my phone on and used the Blogger app to take a photo. 

Yes, I need to vacuum.  But I caught it. 

It was pretty quiet, sitting there next to the apple.  Then I tried to pick it up and it went crazy, banging and sticking it's nose out.  "Hey," I told him "Aren't you supposed to play possum?"  It settled down a little and I took it outside. 

I left it on the porch and went back inside for a broom.  I didn't want to open the door with my hands, the possum was agitated and the last thing I needed to end this saga was a trip to the emergency room.  I unlocked the door.  Then I lifted it up with the broom, all while standing on my porch. 

He wouldn't come out.  I had to pick up the trap (he was at least a couple pounds) and tip it, and tip it more, before he got the point and ran out across the yard, leaving his apple on the porch. 

I left the apple for him and took the rest of my stuff in the house. 

It's over.  I woke Ron up and told him.  He is a little sad, but, like I told him, he hasn't been chewing stuff under YOUR bed. 

It's finally over. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!

I always believed you!

I just think they are gross and carry disease--bad when you are giving Ron shots.

Congrats!

Heather Knits said...

Well, he's gone now. I always wanted him gone, it was just trapping him. A friend of mine from a message board helped me figure out the problem with the trap.

Ron wants me to feed him on the porch, which I will do because possums really have short, crappy, lives. I already have water out there and he has his apple. Tomorrow I will start feeding him some old cat food. He won't care if it's expired. They eat dead things.

Anonymous said...

Setting out food will bring in rats, mice, more possums and other wild animals. Maybe just focus on taking care of yourself and hubby would benefit all concerned.

Anonymous said...

Ummm isn’t it just going to come back in through the cat door though?

Heather Knits said...

We had a gap in the roof of the catio. I believe that is how he got in, through the gap, then through the cat door. We had that fixed a while ago.

Anonymous said...

Congrats glad I was able to help by telling you to get with it and get that trap setup in your bedroom (plus your friend telling you how to set the latch correctly) and no I am not god. Please stop giving credit to something that did not help you it takes away from the people who are helping and is like giving the finger to them.