Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Migraine recovery

Well, the migraine got worse and escalated to vomiting.  I won't give you all the details.  No one wants to hear that.  I made it to my bucket every time, praise God.  That would have been awful if I hadn't. 

Sometimes I wish Ron could do more.  I'd be a liar otherwise.  "Don't worry about the mess, honey, I'll get it."  Instead it's all on me. 

I had a very bad night.  I believe Ron took a pain pill pretty close to drinking but I can't prove it.  He was quiet.  I slept as well as I could (not well, and had some strange dreams about roast chicken) and woke up with a classic, one-sided migraine. 

I have been getting what I term "spider headaches" radiating out from the base of my skull, with tentacles of pain on both sides of my head.  They are almost worse than migraines.  I had one of those yesterday, with vomiting, so it must be a migraine variant.  I found it helped to put an icepack at the base of my skull, periodically, for a couple of minutes and then take it off. 

And we can't forget Mom's old favorite, the wet rag.  That is one good memory from my childhood, when I'd get sick she'd always put the wet rag on my head.  That helped too but it did soak the bed. 

I have a waterproof protector so no big deal.  Kind of mandatory with a puking cat.  Actually Torbie has gotten sick in my bed, too, so two pukers. 

I got what rest I could and my alarm went off at 7:30.  I was still pretty tired, and now had a classic one sided (right side) migraine.  I reset the alarm for an hour later. 

When I woke up again, Biscuit was having hysterics.  I was late, with breakfast!  Poor baby.  I got up, weighed myself (down 4 pounds since I started on my lower carb plan), brushed my teeth as he had fits meowing.  I need to record him like that and make him a ringtone or text message alert. 

I know it's not healthy for him, but Biscuit looked so cute with his chubby flab of fat flapping around as he ran down the hall for breakfast. 

I fed them (they all show up for breakfast) and checked in on Ron.  He was in severe pain and cancelled our ride to Walmart to pick up his medication.  Then he went to the kitchen for some drinking. 

We had a little argument about that.  I found he had some something weird with cat treats, in the sink.  Not sure what that was, and, frankly, don't want to know. 

He started drinking.  Said he only did it for the pain.  I will say he is in less pain now than he was an hour ago, so it has some effect.  But the rest of the bundle! 

Last night he said he would drink so he would "be quiet" for me with the migraine.  I asked him if I was going to find him on the floor in the morning.  He said no. 

To his credit, I didn't.  I found him in his bed when I got up.  A chair in his room was knocked over, he said the cats did it, but he was in bed and quiet. 

So now I have no trips today.  I could have been ready to go to Walmart, had I known the painkillers would work, but I don't think Ron would have been fit to ride at the level it seems to take to alleviate his pain. 

I am skeptical about going out today because it's going to be hot, chance of rain, and I don't want my migraine to come back.  That happened to me once when I was out, I had a headache and it morphed into a migraine.  It got really bad and I had to ride the bus home and then walk half a mile from the bus stop.  With a migraine. 

I have more fun stories like that about migraines but you get the idea. 

It's almost 10, I'd better get my shower.  My hair looks like some sort of nest. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, drinking makes pain go away in the moment. It enhances it long term. It’s sad because the drinking makes his pain worse!

If Ron could give up drinking and get a surgery sober and be able to rehab right and take pills correctly it may work or it may not, but as long as he drinks like he is he’s sabotaging the pills and work doctors do.

It’s sad he’s trapped like this. Addiction is hell and you are so strong for going through this. I hope Ron can somehow throw this off.

Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

So are the pain pills working or not? If they are not working then he should not be taking them and drinking.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Ron needs a morphine patch?

Heather Knits said...

Morphine doesn't work for him, I think because he got so much in ICU after his accident. Oxy worked really well after his back surgery, after they tried Dliaudid and morphine.

Heather Knits said...

Ron is being very evasive about his alcohol + prescription use. That, to me, bodes badly.

I told him if I found out he was using pain killers and drinking together I would call 911 to have his stomach pumped. So he isn't telling, if he is.

Anonymous said...

Good for you girl!

Anonymous said...

You should ask the pain doctors for a narcan inhaler to have so when he takes too many pain pills during his drinking looses count ect you can rescusitate him quickly