Thursday, March 21, 2024

Some places I've lived.

 My first home was a one story three bedroom home with a basement.  For some reason they put my younger brother in the master (with half bath) and Dad and Mom slept in a small guest room off on the west side of the house because he didn't like the sunlight.  I had the last bedroom and my step brother and sister had to sleep in rooms Dad built (they were OK but not "real" rooms) in the basement.  

If there was a Cinderella in my story it was probably my stepsister.  She didn't have it easy.  We all had to share one bathroom too.  I remember hearing the water run through the pipes at night as my stepbrother and sister took their showers at night.  It was a very soothing sound to me.  

Second house was much bigger; five bedroom, 3 bath.  I shared a bathroom with my two brothers and my stepsister finally had her own bathroom.  She had the mother in law suite on the first floor.  Mom and Dad got their own master bath, too.  

My first place with Ron was a dump; a converted garage apartment with the garage door on it to fool the housing inspector, a large floor drain (Ron used to tell me the really scary things were too big to get out of the drain!), and plumbing issues.  It basically had no kitchen, an elderly fridge and a hose coming out of the wall into a plastic bucket that was supposed to be the kitchen sink.  But I was young and in love.  

My first real apartment was great in a lot of ways, it had an abundance of closets and a very nice bedroom closet that had shelves.  It has a front entry coat closet as well I used as a linen closet.  The bathroom had mold issues due to a leaky pipe in the ceiling above the shower, it was the overflow valve on the tub; when she took a bath (upstairs neighbor) the water would slosh out into the drain pipe and drip through my ceiling.  Mold everywhere it was pretty bad and probably responsible for some lingering issues I have today.  

First apartment in Houston was in a nice complex, in a bad area, with very strict rules to keep it nice.  They had a convenience store on site I used to buy a snickers bar and a soda every day on my way to work.  I had a walk in closet, a nice brick wall in the front room,  a huge bedroom, nice little kitchen, big windows.  All bills paid too.  

Next apartment was in an even worse area it was nice inside though.  It had a fireplace and a balcony, good layout on the rooms, good size kitchen.  It was on the third floor.

The duplex we lived in a year before Ron's accident and a year after, first floor, pervert neighbor used to try to look in my bedroom window at night.  I found out later he was a sex offender.  Praise God I didn't get raped.  It was the biggest place we stayed, a two bedroom, two sinks in the bathroom, a linen closet in the bathroom, a walk in closet the size of a room, Ron had his own room which he liked.  Really awful neighborhood, the neighborhood policeman almost crapped himself when he saw me out running one afternoon, told me to go home and check the sex offender registry.  I did and we moved, it was that bad.  

Then the house, big yard, small house.  2 bedrooms.  Works for me, I've been here nearly 20 years.  Tiny kitchen though.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of curtains? What a bunch of idiots.

Heather Knits said...

I had blinds which I kept closed. Ron had a quirk he liked food trash taken out immediately. So several nights I went out late at night and found this man standing by my bedroom window. He would run off and the landlord would dismiss my complaints.

Anonymous said...

I am talking about your dad and mom with your brother. Not you.