Saturday, March 9, 2024

The lilacs!

 One thing I had right after Ron died, I forget if I bought it or had it already, was a can of Febreeze Lilac Breeze room spray.  I liked it a lot and eventually used up the whole can.  

I have to cut through "Chemicals" (cleaning supplies, paper goods, laundry detergent) to go to work every day.  Yesterday there was an overpowering odor on the aisle and I saw a puddle.  

"You see (the spill) you own it!" corporate policy.  I CANNOT leave the spill or it's an automatic termination.  I did have some passing employees all who happily ignored me and my spill.  I saw a package on the ground with something leaking out and realized it was a one month refill for the lilac breeze Febreeze.  So I had a month of this crap right next to me.  My head was pounding and I had to take some Excedrin.  

One employee brought me a handful of paper towels and I put them on top of the lake and rubbed that around with my foot as I did not want that stuff on my hands and I didn't have gloves.  I kept asking for help and called my coworker to explain why I wasn't there yet.  She sounded very relieved it was my problem and not hers.  

The stench was overpowering and it got me thinking this is what the cats must smell when I use air freshener.  Someone eventually came to clean it and I left, but I carried it with me, to my horror I realized, on my shoes now.  

I realized I would have to 1.  Go home sick and throw the shoes away 2.  Buy new shoes or 3.  Clean the shoes somehow and hope I could still work.  

The boss didn't come in for a while but when she did I "jumped" her and said I HAD to go the pharmacy and buy some rubbing alcohol to pour on my shoes RIGHT NOW or I was going to have to go home sick with a migraine.  She said OK, she was bemused.  

So they had a nice end cap full of rubbing alcohol and I went ahead and bought one, also a cold Diet Dew since it was right there at the register, and went outside in the parking lot.  The bottle had a squirt type function if you manipulated it correctly so I was able to "hose" off the soles of my shoes.  And it worked!  The smell was gone.  

Ron was always a big fan of rubbing alcohol he used to say it could fix everything, he had about five half full bottles when he died.  

I walked around for a minute to get the alcohol off my shoes - I didn't want to slip and fall - and went back to work.  The boss of course was DYING to know what that was about as I have never done anything like that in 3 years of employment.  She laughed when I told her and I went to work, had a LONG day but I did it.  

And I found another spill (water this time) about an hour before I went home I thought that was very funny.  I don't know if the other employees don't see or ignore them, or I just have a gift, but I always seem to find the spill.  

Probably back in 2005 I slipped in "my" Walmart's bathroom on a little bit of water someone likely dripped after washing her hands in the ladies bathroom, fell, and smacked my wrist pretty good.  I did not file a report as it was an accident and there was no way they could have prevented it.  So I take spills seriously.  Ron did call and ask them to put a wet floor sign in the ladies bathroom which they did do for a while.  

We are supposed to get perks if we stay accident free for certain periods of time; I believe 90 days with no accident is steaks for the employees.  We have never even made it to nachos.  So I do what I can to keep it down.  

Work itself wasn't bad, it was interesting at the end.  I was getting ready to leave and this sweet older (maybe 60?) lady came up to me and asked for the "good" clearance deals.  I took her there, finished up, put my equipment away, clocked out, came out with my personal junk.  I saw her in the hallway talking to a manager.  

He is the one who was so helpful to me on many occasions after I was hired.  I had a small crush on him for a while but then overheard him, on a couple of occasions, talking about times he had drunk to blackouts in the past.  

[Side note Ron had also talked like that when we were dating so that's about the biggest red flag you could throw my way.} So I shelved that interest.  Today at lunch he was talking to someone in the breakroom that he doesn't drink like that anymore.  I am happy for him but still not going to happen.  

ALSO he has said he would never date an associate even one from another department and I agree with him on that, bringing love to work is very, very, messy.  

He is not a believer either which is #1.  But I am very fond of him and I want good things for him.  

So I saw the lady had a lot of "good" stuff in her cart and congratulated her on it.  Then she told me the manager had helped save a baby who had his foot stuck in the shopping cart and she wanted to tell someone about it.  

So I gave her the (very easy to remember) number for Walmart corporate as he blushed deeply, said this is "Name and job title" make sure you tell them what a good job he did  He was grinning but also very embarrassed because he is not a proud man (nice and refreshing let me tell you), and left to go catch my ride with Ace.  

Later on I thought she might mention me as well helping her, that would be nice but I'm not counting on it.  

I came home, talked to my parents, Dad was coughing some but he does have pneumonia, they are going back to urgent care today.  I am glad she is staying on top of that.  

I don't think he is using the cough drops I sent, those green Broncolin ones are really effective.  

I ran into my boss' boss last night in the back of the store and asked him if I could get a couple of days off in May "to see my Dad".  He is the one who approves requests and he knows I NEVER ask for time off.  He said "He could spare me for 2 days" which is better than nothing, so I relayed that to Dad.  I should have that much PTO built up by then.  

We finished talking and I went to bed, slept pretty badly, kept waking up, but CATS all 3 of them in my bed so that's a good night.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache, took something, went back to sleep, more headache, took something else around 7:30, still a dull throbbing but I'll make it.  It is gloomy and sad outside.  

I decided not to do the Bible Handout today but I will go get groceries.  Hopefully I can also get a nap as well.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: