Saturday, December 30, 2023

I need to figure out how to handle this

 A month or so back I met a new employee who introduced herself as so and so's granddaughter.  I said I didn't know the lady, it took her aback.  She said, well, the boss knows my grandmother.  Fine.  

Except this woman will not do a SPECK of work.  I mean, ZERO.  I can't say much without revealing my job but she is always buried in her cell phone, hides a lot, etc.  I went back to personnel last night because the manager said some computer classes had "dropped" and we should get them quickly, I went and checked (I had none), she was back in personnel yucking it up with her friends.  

One of my friends is the boss' chief snitch.  Even the boss says this "So and so tells me everything that goes on" etc.  Unfortunately last night I was assigned my primary job (not a problem) and secondary job helping this girl.  She wandered around while I was doing my primary job but when I finished and began assisting she took off and hid somewhere.  She had been working for 5 hours at this point and the place was a mess.  I told my friend all about this, knowing it will get back to the boss.  

She has talked to the boss about this and the boss said "She's just out of high school we have to give her some time".  I also think she may be intellectually limited she just doesn't "think".  If there is merchandise on the floor I need to pick it up and put it back, if things are out of order I need to arrange them, etc.  Simply put she can't or won't do the job.  

Last night I was putting things on her cart she needed to do.  Her answer was to ditch the cart somewhere and complain "They took my stuff".  No, she got rid of the cart so I couldn't "make" her work.  

Some of the young kids have no work ethic.  They believe their "job" is to show up and be present at the workplace the whole shift only, not to do any actual work while they are there.  The way they see it, they can talk to customers all night, text their friends, etc. but they don't "have" to work.  

She reminds me of a famous "quit" at the Post Office.  It is very hard to get hired on so it was remarkable when one new hire walked off the job halfway into his shift.  One of the Postal Workers chased him down and asked him why he was leaving "They want me to work!" he said.  It became a byword at the plant for a while "They want me to work!"  

That's the thing, the employer wants you to work.  You can't just show up 5 days a week, not do anything, and expect to collect your check.  

I need to figure out how to cover my back without looking like a tattler in this.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't assume your friend isn't commenting to your boss about you. It happens all the time. Letting someone else do the reporting for you allows for unnecessary opinions and can make you look like a gossip.

Talk to your boss about your concerns, framing it simply as a concern that you are being evaluated on the work you are accomplishing regardless of what others are doing. Leave the other worker's name out of it unless pressed for it, and even then just express the concern as graciously as possible. Not tattling or judging the other worker, just confirming policy as it relates to your employment.

Wal-Mart has cameras everywhere. They know. If she is intellectually limited, they may be offering her accommodations that they won't discuss.

Heather Knits said...

Oh I know she talks to the boss about me but I was busting my butt all night, took my break and lunch on time.

I think what I'm going to do with the new employee is just assume she is limited mentally and instruct her on the basic things. I know during one meeting management instructed one of my fellow associates to "make (new girl) work" so I think something is going on.

My friend has begged the boss not to hire any "babies" and I agree.