Saturday, December 16, 2023

Evangelism update

 So every day I take about a dozen bags of candy with me when I ride the bus to/from work.  I also take candy with me when I go to church, because the other bus drivers who frequent the bus stop I use to get home have figured out I'm a Candy Lady and stop for me even if I wave them on.  

Normally it is a handful of pinata mix in a sandwich baggy with a tract (lately been doing "You are Not Alone") or Scripture booklet (I have several titles).  Less frequently I'll put a New Testament in there with the candy.  It fits in a quart bag.  

So yesterday I was handing out candy to all my drivers.  I got to the transit center, and like I always do, I walk down the line of buses and give each driver a bag of candy.  Some drivers close the door and drive off when they see me, that just keeps me humble.  Others wait for me and reach out a hand for it, grinning, as I board.  

When I come home from work I wait at a bus stop shared by several routes and I hold up a bag of candy when a bus approaches, if he stops I get on, say "I'm not riding" (other wise they shut the door and drive off!), and give them the candy.  

So yesterday I was going "to" work and I saw a young man sitting on a curb at the transit center.  He was clean and presentable but dressed like a thug, saggy pants, hoodie, etc.  They have this thing now where they wear these skinny cut jeans (the ones with money) they are tailored and acid washed, with a saggy butt constructed on it.  This young man was just wearing some sort of baggy work pant.  

I felt a pull to give him candy but he was surrounded by others.  I didn't have enough candy to give all of them a bag and I didn't really feel I could single him out.  So I went on my way.  His bus came so I ran back and gave that driver some candy.  The young man said "Where's my candy?" with a grin and I said "Right here" and I gave him the New Testament in the bag of candy, he was happy to get it.  

That's what I've been up to, lately.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please stop flagging down buses to give them candy. Others have warned you about doing that but you just keep doing it. Plus it's annoying for the bus driver to stop and you tell them you just want to give them candy.

Heather Knits said...

I'm holding up the candy they know what the deal is, and probably 9 out of ten stop, grin, and say thank you. The other one changes lanes and keeps going.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's different in houston, but in every city I have lived, the drivers are required to stop for anyone who flags them. It doesn't matter what you wave, you signal and they stop. They are also required to be polite to riders.

Your candy gifting is dangerous for you, as I have explained over and over and over. It's also annoying for the other riders. You are wasting their time and letting everyone on each bus know about your generosity.

Heather Knits said...

Well, they're supposed to stop, but sometimes they don't.

If I am riding my regular route they always stop for me because, as one driver said, "You're the only one I can talk to, everyone else is (haughty)" Other routes it is hit and miss.

Coming home from church buses I don't want will stop for me, knowing I have the candy! Even if I wave them on! LOL

Drivers have been nice to me as Dad taught me to say Please and Thank You but I have seen them yell at people who don't pay, etc.

Anonymous said...

It's not cute or funny when you are making the bus pull over just to hand them a bag of candy. It is annoying. Since they have to pull over for everyone as the other poster above said they cannot just pass you by (but I see one already does this to you anyway). I don't understand why you continue to do things when you are asked not to (like putting candy in the mail box for the mail man) or are told it is making you a target or drawing unwanted attention to you or just not respecting the time and work of others because you have a bee in your bonnet about flagging down bus drivers to hand them candy. But you do you because I don't think you have ever taken any of the good and sound advice given to you by others in the comments.

Heather Knits said...

You are welcome to your opinion.

I have taken advice like putting my pills in the days of the week organizer.

I think you are angry at my faith more than my sharing it. That's your right. However the unsaved die and go to hell. I want to prevent that. I want a grand party up in heaven with lots of people.

I am holding up the candy; they know the deal. If they want candy, stop, and many do. I have said this many times the ones who don't want candy change lanes and keep going. I still wave hello, though.

I'm not trying to be cute or funny. I am truly trying to keep people out of hell, and if they are saved but backslidden remind them of God's love for them and His wanting them back.

Anonymous said...

I think you nailed it. It's not about the candy. Merry CHRISTmas.