Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Wednesday

 Work was fine yesterday, boss gave me another compliment.  That is very unusual for her but I'll take it.  I was working hard at the time.  

Speaking of work I forgot to check my bank.  Yup, pay is there.  Did up the budget.  I have "enough" for food, bills, etc.  

Speaking of food I am giving the cats a little more dry food as animals need more calories in cold weather and some of them like to spend a lot of time out in the backyard.  I also put filtered water in their water bowls they like that.  I notice them drinking more when I do that.  That is good.  

I was going to wrap the faucets today but apparently I have to cut off the water and drain the  pipes first, so that will happen tomorrow morning.  

The thrift shop is great but sometimes the clothes can be a little whiffy, just a little stale smelling.  So I use the laundry sanitizer which of course I "have" to do.  And detergent, of course.  I am going to do my next load of clothes with some baking soda, a load with just baking soda, borax, washing soda, detergent.  Two loads basically.  Then I think everything will be good to go in my closet.  

I can't say enough about my laundry combo when Ron was alive, any stain you can imagine, BO, urine, feces, cat puke, all of it came right out.  My secret recipe: 1/4 c each borax, washing soda, baking soda, Tide pods to cover the load (3 for a big one which it usually was), let it soak (one hour on my washer) the run it as a standard "Heavy duty" load and it all came right out.  I always did a second rinse as well.  

Speaking of washing I need to take a shower.  

[later]

I went to 2 grocery stores today.  First I have to talk about the coat.  I bought a white puffer coat from Amazon this summer during Prime Day.  It was only $20.  However, it didn't pack well in my bag, got dirty easily, and was not water resistant.  I had a miserable day chilled to the bone one day when a cold front came in with a heavy rain.  So I have wanted  to donate it.   It is very warm, though.  

I put 2 Scripture booklets in it, one English, one Spanish.  I pinned a note on it "Free/God Bless" and prepared to take it with me to the bus stop.  But God sent a nice lady who gave me a ride to the bus stop.  I had no problem getting in the car with her she was a nice Spanish lady.  I managed to convey I wanted the bus stop and she got it.  

I left the coat on the bench.  It was gone when I came back.  

I took lots of candy with Scripture booklets they were a big hit with everyone.  I went to the Kroger first, I figured they had the best odds of ham.  And all the store managers were hovering around a woman who was clearly with the district or corporate, Someone Important at any rate.  I walked right up and asked where I could find the ham and one manager took me.  However I found a much nicer and tastier ham in the discount meat bin, $5 for almost 3 pounds.  I ate some for lunch it is good.  I got that (I have to eat it by tomorrow) and a traditional ham slice with the bone in it for actual Christmas day.  I got some tea and a few other things, and left.  

I rode to the other grocery store, the one nearer my home.  It was mayhem.  Winter Storm + School break + Christmas combined to make a perfect storm.  I called my cab driver buddy, who said he could get me in an hour.  And boy I needed all that time.  I got 2 cases of water because I will not have water for a few days and it's always a good idea to have some on hand, no ham to be found, already had cheese, did get some salad mix and a coleslaw kit that looks interesting.  Cream cheese, blackberries, caramels to hand out, etc.  

I just had enough time to drink a soda before my buddy showed up.  I overpaid him but it is Christmas and he's the guy who helps me take my cats to the vet.  I don't forget things like that.  

Got home, put it all away.  Now I need to do dishes tonight.  

That's it for now.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a walmart story for you. This week I made 6 trips to 4 different walmarts to get a cricket cell phone deal. The stars had to align for there to be an OSL and a manager both in the store at the same time.
On the 6th trip yesterday, the stars aligned and it took almost an hour to activate and pay for 2 phones because the card reader wouldn't work and he had to redo all of the work at a different terminal. He said it was absurd and I agree.
He also said Walmart is losing it's #1 retailer status.
There are numerous full carts at the front of the store when the system went down days ago, nothing put away, food items spoiling.
This store is on the better side of town too!

Heather Knits said...

Yeah it's not encouraging lately.

My store does have a pretty high volume of sales, though. And I do my best to actually help t he customers.